Hacking Coding vWii 3-core support - everything you need to know.

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol. Sorry dude. It's a joke from a movie called Austin powers. Ever heard of it? I have nothing against the Dutch or anybody else for that matter. I guess you didn't get the irony/joke in the statement? He could have said any culture and it would have fit.
GOLDMEMBER! <3

Reactions: the_randomizer

Kdonix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
(real die or not ? anyway only IBM/Nintendo and some dev know about it)
Well see in the future (again comparing a server cpu to a apu, nice)
You can laugh as much as you can but here the fact
Marcan did some strong mistake (if you don't like the Wii U stop putting crap stuff about it, go away and take a another platform that alll)
Where is the L3/where is the Edram ? where is the FPU/Vector and co
a little bit too much L1 for nothing no ? (nice incorrect annotation to keep dumb the people or what ?) i wonder why a technical cpu performer didn't put back to correct position of the annotation.

So there is the correct answer.... now let think about it, don't to take everything as a true answer and more when is from a guy or team like that that don't care about sharing stuff anyway.

Hybrid CPU (check closer the number of FSU/LSU/FXU and co)
Anyway this is my last contribution (i'm too dumb and too stupid to understand anything about it)
see ya

reannotated.jpg

We Talk about 32MB embedded

diamonddie1.jpg

Ok bye bye, keep laughing, it's good for health

Kdonix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A core is different than a processor... i was talking about core not processor...
Like i said it is my last contribution but i'm going to be a little bit helpful, all what you need to know about the core, memory and co process -> just take a look to the Wii Wad (Wii U back menu, it include all the command that you want for a native execution)
Power 7/PPC reboot

Anyway, i'm not going to come back after all the respect i receive.

Have a nice day everybody and hope that you will find a final answer

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A core is different than a processor... i was talking about core not processor...
Like i said it is my last contribution but i'm going to be a little bit helpful, all what you need to know about the core, memory and co process -> just take a look to the Wii Wad (Wii U back menu, it include all the command that you want for a native execution)
Power 7/PPC reboot

Ya, I get it. Don't know what I was thinking before. Now that I go back and read it, my question doesn't make sense even to me. lol Like I said before, AMD has been known to lock out cores for stability reasons so it is plausible.

Any reason why Nintendo/IBM would only use 3 cores on a 6 core processor?

There are plenty of jerks here (I can be one of them from time to time) but just hang around because there are plenty of good people as well.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
if people annoy or disrespect you then theres an ignore facility , then theres the rest of the people that may feel any contribution is good , dont be so hasty , i dont think people where being too rude , just maybe a little blinkered.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Power 7/PPC reboot

the difference is that they have arguments/proofs to backup their claim, while you have nothing but theoretical concepts and hypothetical annotations on a die shot you didn't made yourself (two-shared cores really ? may i ask where this come from ?), which is typical of people who are persuaded they are smarter than the others (because they did go to school, read some stuff from internet wikis, etc) but actually never really studied or worked the stuff they are talking about.

you need to realize that people are being mocked for that reason, not because you do not know something (this is perfectly normal not to know everything) but when you pretend things or when you try to impress less knowledgable people than you with unproved claims

also, the usual "it is my last post here" bs is generally used when you do no like to be contradicted or are not very confident with argumenting

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I don't understand is why these F0F guys keep coming in here and bashing on the guys actually trying to do something. I mean sven actually posted some useful info on which direction they should be going but the whole tone of his and marcan's posts is "you guys are all idiots" which is extremely unfair, demeaning, totally unnecessary and petty.

Trying to be somewhat introspective here, I think there are two reasons why I rarely end up taking people on this site seriously.

First, because of the past and present history of the site. It's still mainly about warez, overtly or not. I doubt you'll ever shake off the "gbatemp are a bunch of warez kiddies" reputation.

Second, because my impression is that most of the people doing work on this thread don't know what they're doing and don't realize how far off they are, or don't care about it. This kind of approach is so far off from the way I and my colleagues work that it's baffling. I work step by step: in order to achieve a goal, I start at my current level of knowledge, use it to build a solid base to work on, and then try things out on top of it as I learn them. I don't use tools until I understand how to use them, and, ideally, also understand how they work (this is how I ended up with detailed register-level documentation on Wiibrew for a bunch of Starlet hardware: because I did extensive probing in order to understand exactly how it behaved). I'm also curious: my primary goal, often, is not to achieve something, but to learn more about the system (and I might end up being able to achieve something as a result of said learning). What I've seen from this thread is people starting with a goal that is way above their heads, then cranking out some hypothetical code without really knowing what they were doing or how the tools that they're using work (the first version with inline asm, honestly, was an atrocity in many, many ways), followed by a bunch of suggestions about how to fix it without really fixing the underlying problem: that you guys need to learn a lot more in order to really understand what's going on and subsequently be able to write intelligent code to solve the problem. Don't use tools (e.g. inline asm) until you know how to use them properly (e.g. constraints). Don't write PowerPC bringup code until you know how things like caches and memory management work.

Edit: A good tip is to learn properly is to never, ever, EVER copy and paste code. Do not use anyone else's "solution" to a problem. Write your own, and make sure you actually understand what you're doing, why you're doing it, how the code actually achieves the goal, and whether there are any potential pitfalls that you need to consider.

Mind you, a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing or where they're going can still achieve something successful. The prime example of this is probably PHP, but firmware and software written by makers or hardware engineers with little to no expertise writing code also comes to mind - typically it ends up working for some value of "working", but it tends to be an utterly horrible unmaintainable piece of spaghetti code that needs to be rewritten to evolve sanely. The converse is also true (hardware designs by software guys).

Make of that what you will. Also, I want some of what Kdonix is smoking.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well said, m_c, but even you must admit that given enough time, a hypothetical monkey typing at random would, as part of its output, almost surely produce all of tueidj's work, and probably still sling less shit at their neighbours than the posters here at gbatemp.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well said, m_c, but even you must admit that given enough time, a hypothetical monkey typing at random would, as part of its output, almost surely produce all of tueidj's work, and probably still sling less shit at their neighbours than the posters here at gbatemp.

Nah. Slinging shit at people is probabilistically much more likely, because drama can be created with very short strings of characters. In the time it would take for a hypothetical monkey typing at random to produce a single couple-hundred-line-of-code C source file that compiles and does something useful, he would've produced almost an uncountably large amount of flamebait.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Trying to be somewhat introspective here, I think there are two reasons why I rarely end up taking people on this site seriously.

First, because of the past and present history of the site. It's still mainly about warez, overtly or not. I doubt you'll ever shake off the "gbatemp are a bunch of warez kiddies" reputation.

Second, because my impression is that most of the people doing work on this thread don't know what they're doing and don't realize how far off they are, or don't care about it. This kind of approach is so far off from the way I and my colleagues work that it's baffling. I work step by step: in order to achieve a goal, I start at my current level of knowledge, use it to build a solid base to work on, and then try things out on top of it as I learn them. I don't use tools until I understand how to use them, and, ideally, also understand how they work (this is how I ended up with detailed register-level documentation on Wiibrew for a bunch of Starlet hardware: because I did extensive probing in order to understand exactly how it behaved). I'm also curious: my primary goal, often, is not to achieve something, but to learn more about the system (and I might end up being able to achieve something as a result of said learning). What I've seen from this thread is people starting with a goal that is way above their heads, then cranking out some hypothetical code without really knowing what they were doing or how the tools that they're using work (the first version with inline asm, honestly, was an atrocity in many, many ways), followed by a bunch of suggestions about how to fix it without really fixing the underlying problem: that you guys need to learn a lot more in order to really understand what's going on and subsequently be able to write intelligent code to solve the problem. Don't use tools (e.g. inline asm) until you know how to use them properly (e.g. constraints). Don't write PowerPC bringup code until you know how things like caches and memory management work.

Edit: A good tip is to learn properly is to never, ever, EVER copy and paste code. Do not use anyone else's "solution" to a problem. Write your own, and make sure you actually understand what you're doing, why you're doing it, how the code actually achieves the goal, and whether there are any potential pitfalls that you need to consider.

Mind you, a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing or where they're going can still achieve something successful. The prime example of this is probably PHP, but firmware and software written by makers or hardware engineers with little to no expertise writing code also comes to mind - typically it ends up working for some value of "working", but it tends to be an utterly horrible unmaintainable piece of spaghetti code that needs to be rewritten to evolve sanely. The converse is also true (hardware designs by software guys).

Make of that what you will. Also, I want some of what Kdonix is smoking.

Now this is something I can understand. It's also constructive criticism and a much different light than the previous degrading comments and pictures that have been posted.

I know myself that I can't code shit so I don't. I, like you did, am starting off small (currently I struggle with modding games so I know that there is no way I'd be able to put anything together as far as usable code on a console) and read A LOT, do some practice here and there and pick things up when I can. I know myself where it will be years and more likely decades before I know enough to contribute to a project such as this, if ever. I'm alright with that.

FWIW, the guys that are involved in this project--the last thing on their minds is Piracy, regardless of the image of these forums. I've been part of the private conversations going on in the background and they are interested in Linux primarily and then will move onto more stuff from there if they are successful. The point is that there are a bunch of people that desperately want homebrew on the wii U and are willing to put in the time and effort to get some sort of "scene" off the ground. They realize that they are limited by their abilities but they are hoping to generate enough hype to get someone who knows what they are doing to jump into it with them and maybe get lucky in the meantime and stumble onto something.

I know your opinion on these individuals now but their intentions are genuine. Would it be so hard to say, even if done so via PM, "Hey guys you are totally on the wrong track, stop what you are doing and look here vs there" rather than posting pics on a website telling them how dumb they are? It's easy to sit up on high and poke fun at someone but every time you do that you are not motivating them, you are insulting and discouraging them. Especially when it is known that the people making fun of them already hold all of the answers they are looking for. I don't mean to insult you with this, just being frank. I hope you are not offended by it.

You are completely wrong about them not caring as well. Their hearts are on their sleeves and they are committed and dedicated, they are just hand-cuffed by their lack of knowledge and need someone with a good level of expertise the guide them.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now this is something I can understand. It's also constructive criticism and a much different light than the previous degrading comments and pictures that have been posted.
What degrading comments? Okay, the "you might get somewhere by the time the Wii U 2 is out" part was a bit mean, but what pictures are you talking about?

FWIW, the guys that are involved in this project--the last thing on their minds is Piracy, regardless of the image of these forums. I've been part of the private conversations going on in the background and they are interested in Linux primarily and then will move onto more stuff from there if they are successful. The point is that there are a bunch of people that desperately want homebrew on the wii U and are willing to put in the time and effort to get some sort of "scene" off the ground. They realize that they are limited by their abilities but they are hoping to generate enough hype to get someone who knows what they are doing to jump into it with them and maybe get lucky in the meantime and stumble onto something.
That's commendable. Keep in mind, though, that there are always more interested people with fewer skills (because obviously the higher the skill level the fewer people exist with those skills, in general). You need to find someone who can actually do this and get him/her interested enough for this to take off in reasonable time.

You are completely wrong about them not caring as well. Their hearts are on their sleeves and they are committed and dedicated, they are just hand-cuffed by their lack of knowledge and need someone with a good level of expertise the guide them.
Why? You don't need a mentor (if you get a good one that's fine, but don't rely on it). The closest thing I had to a mentor for a while was Hermes way back in the PS2 days, and then it was mostly IM conversations about EE/IOP internals - I didn't get him to teach me MIPS assembly or anything like that. Anyone can read up on the subject and learn by themselves.

The issue here is that I don't think the people involved should be expecting to be guided to achieve the stated goal. In order to get to the goal that I'm vaguely interested in in a reasonable amount of time, you need someone with more expertise. If you find such a person and they quickly "guide" you to that goal, then they'll basically just be walking you through things that you don't understand, you won't learn much, and nothing will stick because you won't have a solid foundation to work off of. Regardless of whether you get help or not, you need to work on it step by step. And that takes time; my guess is that, for the people involved, it will take too long for the goal to be relevant any more - hence the mean Wii U 2 comment.

If the people on this thread really want to work on this, their motivation should be to learn, not to get to any particular goal (so that even if they don't get there, they'll be several steps ahead for next time). If they prove me wrong and both learn the required skills and do it within a reasonable amount of time, then all the better.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What degrading comments? Okay, the "you might get somewhere by the time the Wii U 2 is out" part was a bit mean, but what pictures are you talking about?

That's commendable. Keep in mind, though, that there are always more interested people with fewer skills (because obviously the higher the skill level the fewer people exist with those skills, in general). You need to find someone who can actually do this and get him/her interested enough for this to take off in reasonable time.

Why? You don't need a mentor (if you get a good one that's fine, but don't rely on it). The closest thing I had to a mentor for a while was Hermes way back in the PS2 days, and then it was mostly IM conversations about EE/IOP internals - I didn't get him to teach me MIPS assembly or anything like that. Anyone can read up on the subject and learn by themselves.

The issue here is that I don't think the people involved should be expecting to be guided to achieve the stated goal. In order to get to the goal that I'm vaguely interested in in a reasonable amount of time, you need someone with more expertise. If you find such a person and they quickly "guide" you to that goal, then they'll basically just be walking you through things that you don't understand, you won't learn much, and nothing will stick because you won't have a solid foundation to work off of. Regardless of whether you get help or not, you need to work on it step by step. And that takes time; my guess is that, for the people involved, it will take too long for the goal to be relevant any more - hence the mean Wii U 2 comment.

If the people on this thread really want to work on this, their motivation should be to learn, not to get to any particular goal (so that even if they don't get there, they'll be several steps ahead for next time). If they prove me wrong and both learn the required skills and do it within a reasonable amount of time, then all the better.

None of us are mad, please don't misunderstand that. In fact, we needed someone to say it. We need the motivation, because I sure as hell could use it as I have every intent to learn coding. I don't expect it to be easy to learn coding, but I often find difficult things to be rewarding, and I believe that if we grab our balls and put forth one helluva effort to pull through, we will get it done. Again, no one is upset at all, but it's definitely a learning process, and most (if not all) of us is willing to do what it takes.

I for one, am glad that you interjected your two cents, we could use all the advice and tips we can get.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Everyone learns differently. Most people are not independent learners. There are a few exceptions to this. Myself, someone can show me something and I'll forget it right away. I have to struggle through things, screw up a few times and walk myself through it in a closed room with no distractions. I prefer it this way and am just thick-headed like that however it is always nice to have someone I can go to and say "this is what I'm doing, this is what I've done and what am I doing wrong" and them not show me how to fix it but steer me in the right direction.

Also, you need a goal to work towards to be motivated to learn. This is just common sense. Without having anything to accomplish what is the point in learning?

You don't want to be involved. I totally understand and respect that, my point is simply that you have someone coming on here telling them they are going completely in the wrong direction without telling them which direction they should go in. Maybe that is because they don't have the capacity to go in the right direction, maybe not but what is the harm in telling one of them which is the correct direction/where they should be concentrating on to learn what they need.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Touché. But you forgot the trailing 1.

$ sha1sum sekrit.b
3d331b3165f9638c6cd6221702b2f736f7fcf931 sekrit.b

What were those "things" that the two of you posted (Marcan and OncleJulien)? Heavy Industries LLC? I don't know kdonix's background but if they are an insider in IBM then they know what nobody else does. What do they gain by lying? So they told a lie for a moment of attention? Or were they trying to help by like pointing to the vWii going back to Wii U mode?

Not naming anyone, they know who they are, and WOULD NOT give the info. They said the AES key is the same and that the title keys vary by game. Also, they have the common key and with that, and the AES key, those could be used by us. Also told wiikeyU will only allow 1:1 game images and will block homebrew. So it is ONLY for piracy it appears.

Is that some type of key, private, public?

Edit: 8 days thing, lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: