Hacking Coding Struggles

nano351

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I've only recently started to mess around with programming for the wii and was working on a modification of SNEEK+DI to add cover display to the DI menu.

I started working on some code to load BMP files into memory since I've dealt with that elsewhere and the file format for them is pretty simple. But the wii seems to hang on my call to malloca to create space in memory to store the image data converted to the right format to display later in my code. The big problem is I don't own any of the special hardware needed to debug on the wii so it's quite frustrating
frown.gif

the changed code in ES module is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?n1gr093tvrdzn58 It's modified from r144

and the troublesome code where the hang happens in image.c:
CODEImageStruct* LoadBMP(u8* rawData, u32 size){
ÂÂÂÂif (size < sizeof(bmpfile_magic) + sizeof(bmpfile_header) + sizeof(bmp_dib_v3_header_t))
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂreturn NULL;
ÂÂÂÂbmpfile_header* bmpHeader = (bmpfile_header*) &rawData[sizeof(bmpfile_magic)];
ÂÂÂÂbmp_dib_v3_header_t* dibHeader = (bmp_dib_v3_header_t*) &rawData[sizeof(bmpfile_magic) + sizeof(bmpfile_header)];
ÂÂÂÂif (dibHeader->header_sz != sizeof(bmp_dib_v3_header_t))
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂreturn NULL; //wrong header type
ÂÂÂÂif (dibHeader->nplanes != 1)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂreturn NULL; //must only use 1 plane
ÂÂÂÂif (dibHeader->compress_type != BI_RGB)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂreturn NULL; //must be uncompressed
ÂÂÂÂs32 width, height;
ÂÂÂÂu8* imageData = bmpHeader->bmp_offset + rawData;
ÂÂÂÂwidth = dibHeader->width;
ÂÂÂÂif (width % 2)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂwidth += 1;
ÂÂÂÂu32 halfWidth = width / 2;
ÂÂÂÂheight = dibHeader->height;
ÂÂÂÂImageStruct* image = (ImageStruct*)malloc(sizeof(ImageStruct) + halfWidth * height * sizeof(u32)); //i think it's hanging on this allocation but I don't know why
ÂÂÂÂimage->width = width;
ÂÂÂÂimage->height = height;
ÂÂÂÂswitch (dibHeader->bitspp){
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂcase 24:
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ{
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂs32 x, y;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂu32 iy, ix;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂu32 bytesPerLine = width * 3;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂbytesPerLine += bytesPerLine % 4;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂiy = 0;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂfor (y = height - 1; y >= 0; y--){
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂix = 0;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂfor (x = 0; x < width; x += 2){
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂu8* pixel1Data = &imageData[y * bytesPerLine + x * 3];
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂu8* pixel2Data;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂif (x + 1 != dibHeader->width)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂpixel2Data = &imageData[y * bytesPerLine + (x + 1) * 3];
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂelse
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂpixel2Data = pixel1Data;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂimage->imageData[iy * halfWidth + ix] = RGBtoYCbYCr(pixel1Data[2],pixel1Data[1],pixel1Data[0],pixel2Data[2],pixel2Data[1],pixel2Data[0]);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂix++;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ}
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂiy++;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ}
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ} break;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂdefault: //unsupported colordepth
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂfree(image);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂimage = NULL;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂbreak;
ÂÂÂÂ}
ÂÂÂÂreturn image;
}

Any help would be appreciated.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
look how sneek works. if malloca() fails, it panics and hangs. this is code running in the tiny space used for IOS. it is not designed to handle huge memory crap. it needs to use as little memory as possible.

nano351

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
look how sneek works. if malloca() fails, it panics and hangs. this is code running in the tiny space used for IOS. it is not designed to handle huge memory crap. it needs to use as little memory as possible.
Oh, I see. Any idea on about how much memory sneek has access to?

edit:
I looked at wiibrew and saw this, "The IOS Heap range is usually 0x933E0000 – 0x93400000". So, SNEEK only has 0x20000 bytes to work with? And I'd guess that it shares that with whatever IOS is loaded as well.

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
nano351 said:
giantpune said:
Oh, I see. Any idea on about how much memory sneek has access to?

edit:
I looked at wiibrew and saw this, "The IOS Heap range is usually 0x933E0000 – 0x93400000". So, SNEEK only has 0x20000 bytes to work with? And I'd guess that it shares that with whatever IOS is loaded as well.
/me facepalms
when sneek is running, ios isn't running >_>
also 131072 bytes, or 128kb is the ios memory.

also, altho this might be possible by doing a allocation in mem1 or low mem2 ; its potential unsafe as you might end up overwriting the loaded app (which is system menu im guessing?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-