Clone HDD for second WII-U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by baefisch3, Apr 3, 2017.

1. baefisch3
    OP

baefisch3 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Hi, is it possible to clone my HDD?
    Do i have to install all the games on the new WII once more? To register the games?

2. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    With the information given, you will need to reinstall them.

3. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    When you install games to USB a small file for each game is still installed to the Sysnand this is called a ticket. Of you clone the usb then use it on another wiiu none of the games will work as they will be missing the tickets on the sysNAND.

4. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Fan

May 21, 2014
    France
    Yes indeed there isn't a way currently to literally clone HDD data to another one. But you might want to "Transfer" games from one HDD to another using the Wii U itself (it's in the setting menu).

KiiWii likes this.
  5. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    But that wont work as the second wiiu will still be missing the ticket files on sysnand for them to load.

6. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Isn't there a way to manually move the tickets? I know you can pull them off the original HD but I don't know how to install them on the 2nd

7. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Fan

May 21, 2014
    France
    Yes sorry the HDD won't work on a second Wii U, they'll only work as long as you keep using them with the same Wii U.

8. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Redownloading them all with Wii USB Helper is the surefire way to do it right.

I am intrigued though if you didn't have internet access... There has to be a backdoor way to use the same HD

9. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    I'm guessing the tickets could be found using fttp everywhere then copied over but it would probably just be easier to redownload the games with USB download helper and install them on the second wiiu

10. EclipseSin

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    You can manually install tickets quite easily, this is not the issue. The HDD is encrypted with a key generated by a hash/key in otp and some other hash/key that idr right now. We can get that key by generating it ourselves on our wii u, but there are no tools that i know of to retool an image for another wii u.

Kafluke likes this.
  11. baefisch3
    OP

baefisch3 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2017
    Gambia, The
  12. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Yes, you have to copy all of the installs to an SD card. It doesn't matter if you copy all the folders yourself and manually remove anything non-alphanumeric from the folder names, or if you use Wii U USB Helper's Copy to SD function (which will remove the characters for you)

If you think that copying 'every single game' is laborious with USB Helper, you may not realize that you can ctrl-click multiple titles, then right-click and choose Copy to SD. You can even ctrl-click a section header like 'Downloaded' and select all of the titles in that section at once.

What is unfortunate is that Wii U USB Helper isn't smart enough to simply copy the existing update when you select Copy to SD, so you have to respond to a version pop-up for every game that has updates. You also have to tell Helper which components of a game you want to copy. That's not the greatest design.

13. EclipseSin

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    @nexusmtz Quite true in all, but one thing I just wanted to point out. Waiting for games to copy can be "tedious" if you're impatient like me. :D :D

It's nowhere near as bad since I bought a newer SD card, but still no HDD speed. I guess that's partially because I wasn't spending the outrageous difference in cost for another 10Mb/s. Still, 30MB/s isn't bad.

14. baefisch3
    OP

baefisch3 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2017
    Gambia, The
    i´ve tried to copy more games to the sd card by copy paste, but got error messages all the time.
    so i copied every single game directly to the install folder and was able to install all games.
    but this was a long going annoying task!!

15. EclipseSin

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    Use simple folder names to copy multiple games to sd at one time for install. For example, dont use spaces or !@#$%^&*()

rename any folders similar to like "[AVRE01] Game Name", or containing other characters like registered symbol or copyright symbol, to something simple like "botw". then copy them to the install folder on sd as their own folder

like sd:/install/botw

simple names work best for wup installer. Wii U USB Helper should do this automatically if using the copy function, but if it is not working for you just do it manually then copy all of them at once. it works for everyone else, so it must just be something youre missing.

16. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Ultimately, if that worked for you, it's fine, but I can copy 250GB of games with one command and install all of them with the select all function in wup installer y mod, so your issues are not because of the installer.

Installations should be trouble free if you start with good downloads.

17. baefisch3
    OP

baefisch3 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2017
    Gambia, The
    ok. thx. i will give a try, when amazon brought the second WII.