classic controller to ps2?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by steveroo, Apr 16, 2013.

Apr 16, 2013

classic controller to ps2? by steveroo at 6:17 AM (720 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. steveroo
    OP

Member steveroo GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Any adapters? I've seen reverse ps2 to wii..

Could wii to USB to female USBadsptet to USB to ps2work?

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    No, it would not, for a variety of reasons or at least I've never seen such a contraption. For starters, the analog sticks are not clickable, so you'd have to remap this function to something else, for example the volume buttons. Secondly, this is sacrilage. Thirdy, why? The PS2's controller is superior to the Wii's Classic Controller in every way imaginable. :tpi:

In all seriousness though, it's probably possible, but not via just adapters unless you find one for this exact purpose and the chances for that are next to nil.

You'd have to make one yourself by checking which combinations of pins do what and literally re-wiring the plug until you've done it right. Simply using a USB adapter does nothing since the PS2 is not a PC - it won't look for drivers, it's going to expect one specific setup.

Why do you want to do it? The two have a very similar layout as it is.

3. steveroo
    OP

Canada
    I have a wii madcatz with sanwabuttons joystick. Ordered a ps2 with memorycard mcboo.wanted to use the joystick on wii and ps2.

4. steveroo
    OP

Canada
    I ordered two ps2 extension cords. I'm going to make a male to male connector and hopefully the cords will do the job with my adapter.

5. AaronZ

Member AaronZ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It wouldn't work with games that used R3 and L3 though

6. Gabelvampir

Member Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Germany
    You'll probably need a micro controller to build something like that. I don't know off the top of my head how the PS2 controller ports worked (wiring/protocol), but the Wii stuff that you plug into the Wiimote uses the I2C bus, I think with a custom connector. So a simple electric adapter will not work, you'd need something like a SNES to USB adapter box, but more complicated. You would not only have to convert the plug (that's the easy part) but also have to implement the handling the Wiimote does and probably some protocol translation. It should be possible with a FPGA and some soldering/custom board with connectors, but I have never seen something like this sold commercially. Could be because of the missing L3 and R3 "buttons".

7. steveroo
    OP

Canada
    I'm OK with losing some buttons. I intend on only playing shmups on the ps2, they use 2 or 3 buttons for game play. Final product is what it is. Maybe me wanting another stick.