Homebrew Citra "lags"

thatmanfromspace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Citra plays pokemon just fine but it "feels" laggy? running at 60Fps, with around 10% cpu usage and 10% gpu usage (yes, i checked every core, i know that citra only uses 1 core)

What i mean by laggy is that the music sounds slowed down, when i press a button it feels slow, and when i run its slow. but still 60fps.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Citra plays pokemon just fine but it "feels" laggy? running at 60Fps, with around 10% cpu usage and 10% gpu usage (yes, i checked every core, i know that citra only uses 1 core)

What i mean by laggy is that the music sounds slowed down, when i press a button it feels slow, and when i run its slow. but still 60fps.
Which Pokemon games? What's in your PC? Are you using the latest canary build?

thatmanfromspace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AMD A8-7650K
inno3D GTX 1050 Ti

Yes, i realize my A8 isnt a very good CPU, but even so, the CPU and GPU usage are low, meaning citra isnt even using it heavily (i know that citra only uses one CPU core)

Update : I tried disabling Vsync, now the game runs at 200+ Fps. Now it plays like it's 10x the speed of normal, rendering it unplayable

Last edited by thatmanfromspace,

tot318

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
AMD A8-7650K
inno3D GTX 1050 Ti

Yes, i realize my A8 isnt a very good CPU, but even so, the CPU and GPU usage are low, meaning citra isnt even using it heavily (i know that citra only uses one CPU core)

Update : I tried disabling Vsync, now the game runs at 200+ Fps. Now it plays like it's 10x the speed of normal, rendering it unplayable
Your CPU is below 1800 points Passmark single thread benchmar which is only 1451 points. Even my Core i57200U which score 1738 is struggling.

Last edited by tot318,

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@thatmanfromspace the APU's have Worse Single threaded performance and overall lower IPC than the FX Line of CPUs if you Must have an AMD System i'd suggest migrating to an Ryzen build but thats the source of lag. yer PC is a potato in the eyes of Citra.

its like PCSX2, then Citra itself maybe running at the Desired Framerate but Not the internal GPU citra's emulating. (meaning your not really achieving 60FPS, i got a friend w/ an FX 9590 and they struggle like hell
if you want to build for emulation go for a higher end intel System it will Always smoke any AMD based system in performance its all a numbers game with Single threaded performance (amd lost this race many many years ago and they're kinda still like a few laps behind.) infact your going to have a hard time w/ that APU PS2 emulation w/ all the speed hacks on for alot of games (i can bet FFX would lag on you) let that be a sign that yes most AMD FX And APUs struggle w/ Emulation going that far back in console generations. (APU's have a better Multi-threaded performance over all but the 9XXX FX Series of CPUs and the FX's have better IPC/STP(SingleThreaded Performance) over the APU Line.

tl;dr, OP your PC is too potato and you need to upgrade to run citra, it's the simple blunt truth.

thatmanfromspace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@thatmanfromspace the APU's have Worse Single threaded performance and overall lower IPC than the FX Line of CPUs if you Must have an AMD System i'd suggest migrating to an Ryzen build but thats the source of lag. yer PC is a potato in the eyes of Citra.

its like PCSX2, then Citra itself maybe running at the Desired Framerate but Not the internal GPU citra's emulating. (meaning your not really achieving 60FPS, i got a friend w/ an FX 9590 and they struggle like hell
if you want to build for emulation go for a higher end intel System it will Always smoke any AMD based system in performance its all a numbers game with Single threaded performance (amd lost this race many many years ago and they're kinda still like a few laps behind.) infact your going to have a hard time w/ that APU PS2 emulation w/ all the speed hacks on for alot of games (i can bet FFX would lag on you) let that be a sign that yes most AMD FX And APUs struggle w/ Emulation going that far back in console generations. (APU's have a better Multi-threaded performance over all but the 9XXX FX Series of CPUs and the FX's have better IPC/STP(SingleThreaded Performance) over the APU Line.

tl;dr, OP your PC is too potato and you need to upgrade to run citra, it's the simple blunt truth.

I'm not using the APU, i'm using a GTX 1050 Ti, just an A8-7650K CPU. I will probably change to Ryzen 3 1200 later but its too expensive rn

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not using the APU, i'm using a GTX 1050 Ti, just an A8-7650K CPU. I will probably change to Ryzen 3 1200 later but its too expensive rn
doesnt matter if your using the gtx 1050 TI for the graphics or the APU (the A8 is in a class of processors called "APUs" or "Accelerated Processing Units"(marketing blurb for GPU and CPU on same Dye) and it has lower overall Single-threaded performance than the predecessors the AMD FX series of CPUs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr