cioscorp and bootmii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by funnystory, Jun 10, 2009.

Jun 10, 2009

cioscorp and bootmii by funnystory at 12:52 AM (5,475 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. funnystory
    OP

Banned funnystory Banned

United States
    i installed bootmii first and cioscorp after.Will it affect me having cioscorp?This is what i read from the bootmii website "In particular, "cIOSCORP" is known to be problematic because some idiot decided it would be smart to take some old version of IOS, change the version number, and overwrite all other IOSes. Most other "packs" are less destructive, but we do not have time to test them all." How would i go back to regular ios's?

2. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    only if you want to install new versions of bootmii when ever they come out.
    you will have to install a non cios'ed ios36 when a new version of bootmii comes along to install it then reinstall cios36 from the cioscorp package after installing the new bootmii or hbc or dvdx.
    but that's not that big of a deal.
    cioscorp is NOT destructive the creators of bootmii just don't like it hence why they try to make there installer not work with it installed.
    but if you really want to go back to not booting from disc channel you can use ios downgrader to write over cioscorp though honestly there is no harm in having it unless you're stupid.

3. funnystory
    OP

Banned funnystory Banned

United States
    why does bootmii need those ioss?

4. wolffangalchemist

United States
    technicality it doesn't need any specific ios to install the hackmii installer beta 1 works with cios corp installed but beta 2 doesn't it just won't let you use "hacked" ios's to install with it so you need at least one sane ios while using the hack mii installer.

5. bushing

Newcomer bushing Advanced Member

United States
    Oh, cuz taking one old-ass minor version (7 ?!??!) of IOS, patching it, and overwriting all other versions of IOS is a super smart idea. I wish I had thought of it, and since I didn't, I hate it.

Never mind the fact that blowing away the real versioning information makes it impossible to reliably run any sort of nuanced code on it, since you have no idea what the hell you're running on.

(It's not like changing the version number to 7 -- you know, lower than anything else -- makes it more resistant to updates ?!!?)

6. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Bushing, no offence but do you even know what cioscorp does? or why it says version 7 on it, its version 7 cause its the CIOSrev7 overwriteing the IOS Slot , and all higher IOS's above IOS22 was patched with the rev7/8 dip module keeping their version number intact. If your going to put something down atleast know what your talking about. Also were did all this hate come from. I dont mind you putting down the cioscorp mod in the bootmii Faqs cause i agree its a Old Mod, and i wish people would quit using it, but being called a idiot, well thats kindof uncalled for.

7. wolffangalchemist

United States
    lol ios7 wut?

8. carbonyle

Member carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    I agreed with bushing: cIOSCORP is not the type of hack I like... no offence to the creator but I prefer keep clean IOS and use a loader... anyway we don't need anymore cIOSCORP since there is so many great USB Loader mods.
    With cIOSCORP we need to protect our wii against dvd-update... it's more complicated for n00b (but I really don't care)

9. bushing

United States
    Why does it make sense to treat half of the major versions of IOS (the monolithic ones) one way, and half the other way? Either you believe that there is value in maintaining the existing minor version number, or you don't.

Hell, why not replace all versions of IOS with one patched version with minor version 7?

10. funnystory
    OP

Banned funnystory Banned

United States
    so if for whatever reason i want to go back to regular ios what would i need to do?

11. carbonyle

Member carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    Just reinstall them. Take the wads from a game or with NUS Downloader

12. WiiBlaster

United States
    Forgive my memory, but the lower Ios's have only 1 or 2 Apps were the newer ones contain serveral apps, the Higher IOS's was easier to patch by hand in adding the Dip module with Just replacing the App1.
    Were the Lower it was just easier to replace the entire Ios with the CIOSrev7, cause in the higher IOS's they contained more stuff like USB stuff for the Newer Games like Rock band, thats why they got special treatment, See the thing is no coding got used in this Mod, Thats why i called it a Mod not a hack.
    But anyways, it was a quick mod, easy to do, and sense the Usbloader i see no reason in people still using it. but when it was made the benefits was playing backups through the disc channel and it done exactly what it was apost to. but now there is no longer a need for it.

13. funnystory
    OP

Banned funnystory Banned

United States
    I like cioscorp cuz i dont have a modchip and i want to be super safe.(Brick wise) I have bootmii,preloader,and if i were absolutely skrewed i would want to be able to have wadmanager and trucha disk.Bricking isnt even an option for me which is why i waited for bootmii to install cioscorp

14. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I agree with this also. It could potentially be destructive (I mean, it fundamentally changes the way the Wii works). Another thing he was saying is you are taking one version of IOS and using it for everything pretty much. Games need newer IOS for a reason, and you shouldn't expect every application to work with older versions. Then again, I err on the careful side. I was a bit leery of theme-type hacking until I installed BootMii and could restore the Wii should something go wrong (since, once again, if something went wrong it was possible that you could have a non-working Wii on your hands).

*edit*
    Oh yeah, and if you say "If you're so careful, why did you install BootMii?" I would just say that it's because Team Twiizers tests the hell out of all of their stuff, which is part of the reason why they do good work.

15. wolffangalchemist

United States
    well cioscorp is old and not liked apparently i guess, lol i wasn't trying to piss anyone off or get "told" on the internet.
    i get where everyone is coming from, team twiizers doesn't like piracy so they won't use ios's that can be used for it or are not official so exactly my point they don't like it i didn't say it was the only reason.
    and yes anything even the hackmii installer, cioscorp, ect could be potentially dangerous to a wii this is a known fact.
    i was just trying to help the man out with his wii heck i even told him how to get normal ios's back(ios downgrader).
    it's all a mater of what you want to do with your wii, some ppl use cioscorp others don't some don't even hack them at all.
    also i'm not trying to argue in fact i installed bootmii to try out custom themes as well 9th_Sage.
    in the end we can flame each other with our opinions and such but it will do us no good.
    i didn't mean any disrespect to anyone if i came off that way, i guess i do sometimes.

16. Servdogg

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I like cioscorp. Let's you play games from the disc channel and can be easily uninstalled if you want.

17. wanders

Newcomer wanders Advanced Member

United States
    Yeah I don't see how the USB Loader makes cioscorp 'obsolete'. Blank DVDs are cheaper than an external HDD the last time I checked.

Also, I for one had no problem installing bootmii on a system with cioscorp. /shrug

18. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    One thing about CIOSCORP's use even before the USB loaders that I don't understand is that if most of the people who would install it would probably install preloader beforehand...what's to stop them from just leaving all of their IOS's in a sane format and just enabling the move disc channel hack and replacing that spot with a backup loader channel?

That would basically accomplish the same thing in terms of ease of use without screwing around with everything on the Wii just to do it.

Was it REALLY just used so people could see the pretty animations of games before they actually started it?

19. WiiBlaster

United States
    Actually my main use for it was recovery disk and autoboot disc, I guess backup loading with disc banners is what most use it for

20. bushing

United States
    No, if we actually cared whether or not people used hacked versions of IOS, we could just look for any Wii with IOS249 and refuse to install on it. Or, say, release an April Fool's update that silently deletes fakesigned VC content from NAND. However, this sounds like a lot of work with no real benefit, and we have better ways to spend our time.

The check for fakesigned IOSes is to save us the time we would (and have!) spent debugging install failures on systems in an unpredictable state. Nothing more, nothing less.