Cia to 3ds, is it possible?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by shipwreck5, Jul 16, 2015.

1. shipwreck5
    OP

shipwreck5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2015
    Home... Probably
    is it possible to convert a cia into a 3ds easily? I've tried a cia to 3ds converter that says it can also revert but it didn't work( said exheader was missing). Thanks for ur help in advance.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The converter was right. Converting a 3DS file to a CIA file removes the exheader - if you haven't backed it up, the converter won't be able to conjure it into existence. I'm afraid that just converting the CIA is insufficient, you're missing data.

3. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    What he said. If you trying to revert a cia that you download than no its not going to work.

Its so funny, everybody was all hyped about installing cia's and we got one post where someone wants to revert it to 3ds/3dz.

4. shipwreck5
    OP

Newcomer
    May 15, 2015
    Home... Probably
    Thanks. That makes sense. I know its kinda funny but I mean it would be convenient if they were interchangeable. I like cias as much as the next guy but not having enough space on the sd card for the cia and the space for installation is a pain.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The problem here is that .3DS is an executable format and .CIA is an installable archive (hence the name). To parallel it to Windows, it's kind of like a setup file - it installs the executable and makes necessary registry entries for it to boot - the 3DS makes its own when installing a CIA. Cartridges have that information embedded since the system doesn't install them.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I am pretty sure CIA files have exheaders too.
    Regardless, if a downloaded eShop game can be converted to .3ds there is absolutely no reason a previous 3ds->cia convert can't be converted back.

7. Foxi4
    This message by Foxi4 has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Jul 16, 2015.
    Jul 16, 2015
  8. shipwreck5
    OP

Newcomer
    May 15, 2015
    Home... Probably
    Ok I basically thought I knew all the basics of 3ds moding but what exactly is an exheader? Does have anything to do with aheader or is it a file specific for each rom? Basically I'm asking if I can use an exheader from a different rom.

Last edited by shipwreck5, Jul 17, 2015
  9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    exheader is short for extended header. You can't use one from a different ROM and cart and NAND games use different formats of it, hence the converter says it's "not there".

10. shipwreck5
    OP

Newcomer
    May 15, 2015
    Home... Probably
    Well that sucks but I kinda expected that after looking at 3dbrew.org. It said it contained the application name so I instantly assumed it wouldnt work. Thanks for ur help.

11. shipwreck5
    OP

Newcomer
    May 15, 2015
    Home... Probably
    One last question, how do I get my hand on an exheader from a .3ds file? Also how come eshop-only games can be converted from cia to 3ds?

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    They can provided you are running CFW or using a Gateway since both ignore signature checks. Currently there is no way to re-sign a ROM. You don't "get" an exheader, it's part of the ROM and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you just get a .3DS equivalent rather than trying to convert a .CIA.

13. Ericss

Ericss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    How do people make .3ds versions of eShop-exclusive games for scene releases then? Some method not available to the public?

14. Dean_

Dean_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 11, 2014
  15. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Why not buy the game you're looking for, dump the rom, then take it back and get a refund?

16. shipwreck5
    OP

Newcomer
    May 15, 2015
    Home... Probably
    two final questions (for real this time),1. how do i extract an exheader? 2. how come shop only titles can be converted to .3ds files?

17. Dean_

Dean_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 11, 2014
  18. shipwreck5
    OP

Newcomer
    May 15, 2015
    Home... Probably
    thanks