CIA converter freezing, taking forever

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Drak0rex, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Drak0rex
    OP

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    I'm using the tutorial from the CIA conversion for dummies thread, with mixed results. It's constantly freezing on "Almost taking final steps" and my computer bogs waaay down. I was wondering if this is still the best way to do this, or if there's any better converters I can try.

2. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/285574-3DS-To-CIA-Converter

3. Drak0rex
    OP

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
  4. ShinkoNet

ShinkoNet Obsessed with Touhou

Dec 1, 2013
    It's because it takes up quite a lot of memory when compiling the cia. If you have 4GBs of RAM or under, it would freeze up. I've seen it eat up about 2GBs of memory.

What I would do is close all my programs so it's just the command prompt open, and when you compile, select 2 for RSFgen, say no for everything else (except confirmation) and wait. Don't mess around with your computer for about 30-45mins. It should work.

5. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    it works. it simply so that you know that it's useless to choose any option above 5. just put 5 for all and it's fine

6. mid-kid

mid-kid GBAtemp spamBOT

Aug 2, 2012
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-converting-3ds-to-cia-for-hackers.380695/
    Linux has way better support for extending your RAM with your hard drive (a.k.a. swapping). :3

Seriously though, if you want to do anything with converting to .cia, you either have to rewrite the programs used for the conversion so they store their temporary data on disk instead, or get some more ("virtual") RAM (It depends on the size of your game, but you'll need at least ~4GB for most games). Yes, closing all your programs, not integrating manuals, and running in "safe mode" will help, but only so much.
    All "converters" use the exact same programs to perform the conversion. They might do things in a slightly different way, but they all need the same amount of RAM.
    Also, if you're using the converter "for dummies" on this forum (it looks like you are), try to get an updated build of rom_tool.exe and drop it in the tools folder. It still lags on 2 gigs, but at least I can verify it's actually writing a file. (Protip: rom_tool.exe is the only program used in the "Almost taking final steps" stage)

lemanuel likes this.
  7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I didn't know cia conversion required 4GB of RAM.

I only have 2GB, and it's always full (I'm often using swap file) with standard applications running. I wouldn't be able to do any cia conversion even after a fresh restart.
    It can't be done by writing temporary files on hard drive block by block instead of keeping the game multiple times on RAM?

8. Drak0rex
    OP

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Would it be possible to use multiple drives dedicated solely to ReadyBoost? What are the limitations? I've tried 3 different HDDs and they were unable to be used. I have a 4GB flash drive that works though.

9. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Just out of curiosity is a header required for creating your own CIA's?

I haven't read up on the tutorials for creating CIA's just yet...

10. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    Read first, ask later ;)

But no, it's not necessary since CIAs don't use it.

11. illicit

illicit GBAtemp Regular

Sep 28, 2010
    United States
    convert it manually

12. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Any advantage to converting your own CIA's versus fetching pre-made?

13. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    You know for sure what was used during the conversion, if any patches were made or not. Other than that, no.

Nemix77 likes this.