Homebrew CIA converter freezing, taking forever

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the tutorial from the CIA conversion for dummies thread, with mixed results. It's constantly freezing on "Almost taking final steps" and my computer bogs waaay down. I was wondering if this is still the best way to do this, or if there's any better converters I can try.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

ShinkoNet

Obsessed with Touhou
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's because it takes up quite a lot of memory when compiling the cia. If you have 4GBs of RAM or under, it would freeze up. I've seen it eat up about 2GBs of memory.

What I would do is close all my programs so it's just the command prompt open, and when you compile, select 2 for RSFgen, say no for everything else (except confirmation) and wait. Don't mess around with your computer for about 30-45mins. It should work.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It says that anything above SDK 5 won't work. So will I not be able to install anything like pokemons or Smash Bros?

it works. it simply so that you know that it's useless to choose any option above 5. just put 5 for all and it's fine

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using the tutorial from the CIA conversion for dummies thread, with mixed results. It's constantly freezing on "Almost taking final steps" and my computer bogs waaay down. I was wondering if this is still the best way to do this, or if there's any better converters I can try.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-converting-3ds-to-cia-for-hackers.380695/
Linux has way better support for extending your RAM with your hard drive (a.k.a. swapping). :3

Seriously though, if you want to do anything with converting to .cia, you either have to rewrite the programs used for the conversion so they store their temporary data on disk instead, or get some more ("virtual") RAM (It depends on the size of your game, but you'll need at least ~4GB for most games). Yes, closing all your programs, not integrating manuals, and running in "safe mode" will help, but only so much.
All "converters" use the exact same programs to perform the conversion. They might do things in a slightly different way, but they all need the same amount of RAM.
Also, if you're using the converter "for dummies" on this forum (it looks like you are), try to get an updated build of rom_tool.exe and drop it in the tools folder. It still lags on 2 gigs, but at least I can verify it's actually writing a file. (Protip: rom_tool.exe is the only program used in the "Almost taking final steps" stage)

Reactions: lemanuel

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't know cia conversion required 4GB of RAM.

I only have 2GB, and it's always full (I'm often using swap file) with standard applications running. I wouldn't be able to do any cia conversion even after a fresh restart.
It can't be done by writing temporary files on hard drive block by block instead of keeping the game multiple times on RAM?

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to use multiple drives dedicated solely to ReadyBoost? What are the limitations? I've tried 3 different HDDs and they were unable to be used. I have a 4GB flash drive that works though.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just out of curiosity is a header required for creating your own CIA's?

I haven't read up on the tutorials for creating CIA's just yet...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night