Chromebook to windows VPN?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I set up a VPN on my home windows 10 PC, and I want to access that at another household on my Chromebook. It's mainly to make moonlight work. It actually gave me really good performance when I port forwarded, but since it's an optimum router, I can't give it a static IP so i have to keep setting it and sometimes that doesn't even work. Either a better game streaming solution or a VPN solution so moonlight will register on the same network would be appreciated.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Setup NO-IP on your home PC. It's a way to assign a static domain to a dynamic IP. It's free, don't worry. You will have to make an account, though.
I should've specified. My home pc has a static ip and has all of its ports forwarded. The chromebook is on an optimum network that makes static IPs cost extra. Would that work on the chromebook at all though? Or did i misunderstand you completely.

Last edited by Giodude,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
It really shouldn't matter if it has a dynamic IP. I thought your home PC had one, which was making retaining a connection to the VPN a hassle. What exactly is an optimum router? Have you tried using Hamachi instead of a VPN yet?

Reactions: Giodude

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really shouldn't matter if it has a dynamic IP. I thought your home PC had one, which was making retaining a connection to the VPN a hassle. What exactly is an optimum router? Have you tried using Hamachi instead of a VPN yet?
I just have no clue how to login to a vpn that i made on a windows machine through the chromebook. AFAIK it's only windows to windows. Also i've heard a ton about hamachi but im not exactly sure how to use it or really what it is and how it could be used with the windows pc and the chromebook.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Hamachi creates a virtual LAN network that multiple clients can connect to. Gamers especially use it for LAN only games. You install it on both machines, create a network on the host, and connect to it with your Chromebook. If you still want to use a VPN solution, I recommend using OpenVPN Access, but Hamachi should suffice.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hamachi creates a virtual LAN network that multiple clients can connect to. Gamers especially use it for LAN only games. You install it on both machines, create a network on the host, and connect to it with your Chromebook. If you still want to use a VPN solution, I recommend using OpenVPN Access, but Hamachi should suffice.
I should specify i haven't installed linux on the chromebook yet. I guess i should do that now to use hamachi considering there's no chrome OS build?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i should mention im not exactly linux savvy, i ended up installing crouton. After installing the hamachi debian package it doesnt show up in the application finder even though it's installed. Any clue why this is?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
i should mention im not exactly linux savvy, i ended up installing crouton. After installing the hamachi debian package it doesnt show up in the application finder even though it's installed. Any clue why this is?
Because Hamachi runs as a service on Linux, and doesn't have a GUI. However, there are third party front-ends for it. I really like this one.
https://www.haguichi.net

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Hamachi runs as a service on Linux, and doesn't have a GUI. However, there are third party front-ends for it. I really like this one.
https://www.haguichi.net
Having issues actually downloading it. It doesn't come in a package. It's telling me the command doesn't exists when i attempt to use the ubuntu command for adding the repository.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just have no clue how to login to a vpn that i made on a windows machine through the chromebook. AFAIK it's only windows to windows. Also i've heard a ton about hamachi but im not exactly sure how to use it or really what it is and how it could be used with the windows pc and the chromebook.
Windows VPN is PPTP based, so anything that can connect to PPTP should work.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try the Debian instructions.
getting somewhere. Now it doesn't throw an error, but after i type in the first command it just jumps down to the next line with an arrow like it wants me to type in more, even after i've typed everything.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
getting somewhere. Now it doesn't throw an error, but after i type in the first command it just jumps down to the next line with an arrow like it wants me to type in more, even after i've typed everything.
Make sure there isn't a space at the end of the command, and that the lines aren't broken. Some terminals don't strip HTML elements, so copying and pasting commands can contain line breaks and other elements. Try pasting the command into a text editor and make sure it's all on one line. I'll post it in code tags here, and you can try copying it from there.

Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo "Deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/haguichi/ubuntu xenial main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/haguichi.list'

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C2518248EEA14886

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install haguichi

Last edited by Joom,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure there isn't a space at the end of the command, and that the lines aren't broken. Some terminals don't strip HTML elements, so copying and pasting commands can contain line breaks and other elements. Try pasting the command into a text editor and make sure it's all on one line. I'll post it in code tags here, and you can try copying it from there.

Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo "Deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/haguichi/ubuntu xenial main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/haguichi.list'

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C2518248EEA14886

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install haguichi
Worked up until the last 2 commands, where then it started throwing this at me:
Code:
E: Type 'Deb' is not known on line 1 in source list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/haguichi.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if it matters, but try 'deb" in the first command instead of
Worked up until the last 2 commands, where then it started throwing this at me:
Code:
E: Type 'Deb' is not known on line 1 in source list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/haguichi.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Try changing it to "deb" by editing the list file like so.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/haguichi.list
Ctrl+O to save, Ctrl+X to close
Run apt-get update again after doing so.

Last edited by Joom,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if it matters, but try 'deb" in the first command instead of

Try changing it to "deb" by editing the list file like so.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/haguichi.list
Ctrl+O to save, Ctrl+X to close
Run apt-get update again after doing so.
Nano command isn't found. Hrm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo