Hardware Chip and capacitor questions about swapping

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right so I am enjoying my switch repairs at the moment i apologise for asking lots of questions but keen to learn!
So I have another not turning on switch, I have two capacitors that have shorts around the M92T36 chip.
I removed the chip and checked these capacitors and they both still short? I assumed they would not?
So I swapped one capacitor with a known working one off another board and it still shorts, I put the one I thought faulty on the other board and it does not short?
What else should I be checking please?
I have not put on a new M92T36 chip yet as I thought I still have a short somewhere on the board?
Any tips would be great.

Borega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well you prly have a short somewhere else on the line. As I do not know what cap you are talking about and as we do not have schematics iam sorry but I can't help you. Maybe tell us which caps are shorted?

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, a picture might help! (sorry for wobbly lines)
InkedM92T36_1_LI.jpg

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right so I am enjoying my switch repairs at the moment i apologise for asking lots of questions but keen to learn!
So I have another not turning on switch, I have two capacitors that have shorts around the M92T36 chip.
I removed the chip and checked these capacitors and they both still short? I assumed they would not?
So I swapped one capacitor with a known working one off another board and it still shorts, I put the one I thought faulty on the other board and it does not short?
What else should I be checking please?
I have not put on a new M92T36 chip yet as I thought I still have a short somewhere on the board?
Any tips would be great.

Change the other capacitor if its on the same line, remove it first then check to see if short has gone before replacing with a new one.

Ace_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The PI3USB chip on the back of the board can cause that left cap to show as shorted, I'm not sure about the second cap though.

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
One short can lead to another which can lead to a faulty M92T which leads to short short short; check the PI3USB as stated in the post above that it can cause the short; rectify that and double check the M92T IC

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies, I will check the p13usb later and report back either way.
Hopefully that is the issue, if not I will have a check around for anything else shirting on the rear.

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right just checked, the capacitor above the p13usb is shorting!
Once I get chance to remove I will update in order to help others with a similar issue.

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Back to square one! :wtf:
I swapped the p13usb with a known working one and it still shorts on this board!?
I placed the what I thought faulty p13usb off this board on to my doner board and it does not short!?!
So this was not the issue. Any other chips I should check before I give up and use this as a spares board?
Thanks

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Back to square one! :wtf:
I swapped the p13usb with a known working one and it still shorts on this board!?
I placed the what I thought faulty p13usb off this board on to my doner board and it does not short!?!
So this was not the issue. Any other chips I should check before I give up and use this as a spares board?
Thanks

When you say its still shorted, are you referring to the 3v3 line if so what resistance to ground do you get on that line is it 0 ohm's or very near.

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you say its still shorted, are you referring to the 3v3 line if so what resistance to ground do you get on that line is it 0 ohm's or very near.
I am testing capacitors around the main chips, using ground and testing each side, ones that beep both sides normally lead me to think the chip is faulty but this does not seem to be the issue on this one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol