Cheap Laptop Vs Android Tablet

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I was wonder what you think about a cheap laptop (sub 300) vs a tablet. The tablet I was wondering about was probly a nexus 7 (2013 ed) or a cheap Asus laptop with

Processor
Intel Celeron processor N2830 2.16GHz

Hard Drive
500 GB

Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics

I'm not sure what is better although I know that I'm kinda leaning to the laptop for its dvd player and the fact it probly would be better for school which needs stuff like dox and WebEx. Also I know that I'm not going to play the hottest games on a sub 300 PC but I think I can play emulators up to ps1/n64 and possibly psp/DC and maybe pre 2010 games on medium settings.
Anyway what do you think is better.

ohsoroso

Turtle Neck Sweater.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were in your posistion I would definitely go for the Nexus 2013 I got to mess around with a friends and that is a damn fine tablet, if I didn't rage break my 3DS XL i'd be getting one Friday.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Nexus 7 is a beast. It will beat any laptop aside from Macbooks or high-end laptops. It can run emulators, typically everything below GC/PS2 can be emulated nearly perfectly (except maybe dreamcast which still has some issues).

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the tablet would be better and the fact it cost less is well worth it. Also I could just use Google dox and WebEx android. As for gaming their is a lot of great stuff I could do. Anyway I think I just get a nexus 7.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Unless you need the portablility of a tablet (using it on a bus/train etc) then obviously a laptop will be a lot more useful. I'm not sure what endoverend is basing the 'will beat any laptop aside from Macbooks or high-end laptops' claim on.

7" tablets are OK for media consumption and games (assuming you're connecting a controller of some kind), but the laptop is going to be a heck of a lot better for any kind of real work or even just general web browsing.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Unless you need the portablility of a tablet then obviously a laptop will be a lot more useful. I'm not sure what endoverend is basing the 'will beat any laptop aside from Macbooks or high-end laptops' claim on.

7" tablets are OK for media consumption and games (assuming you're connecting a controller of some kind), but the laptop is going to be a heck of a lot better for any kind of real work or even just general web browsing.

Take it from a Nexus 7 user: you can get just as much work done just as fast with this tablet than you can with a laptop, and its a hell of a lot cheaper.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Take it from a Nexus 7 user: you can get just as much work done just as fast with this tablet than you can with a laptop, and its a hell of a lot cheaper.

I'm not going to get into a debate on the topic, but a small touchscreen device with a GUI paradigm to match is just not going to be as useful for work as a laptop for the vast majority of people.

Type up a document, browse multiple websites at once, have multiple apps/windows open at once while working between them, coding etc. A laptop is quite demonstrably superior for getting things done outside of usage cases requring extreme portablility eg when on a bus/train.

You specifically referenced that that it will beat anything other than high end laptops.That is not true in terms of processing power, screen size nor the usefullness of the UI paradigm for getting actual work done.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to get into a debate on the topic, but a small touchscreen device with a GUI paradigm to match is just not going to be as useful for work as a laptop for the vast majority of people.

Type up a document, browse multiple websites at once, have multiple apps/windows open at once while working between them, coding etc. A laptop is quite demonstrably superior for getting things done outside of usage cases requring extreme portablility eg when on a bus/train.

Aye, guess it's hard to describe its usefulness without having an experience. Oh well, each to his own.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Aye, guess it's hard to describe its usefulness without having an experience. Oh well, each to his own.

I've used plenty of tablets, including the nexus 7, and work in IT so have plenty of experiance with both for different usage cases.
Absolutely each to their own though. Whatever works best for the tasks you need/want to perform. Tablets obviously are far far more usable when not sitting at a desk so if thats a major consideration a tablet would likely be better.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nexus 7 changed my life, lol. Its almost like a PC. I'm starting to see windows as dated. But you want it for school and gaming, so it sounds like you "need" the laptop?

maybe get something like an android laptop (if those exist) or Chromebook.(if those are any good) Good compromise. :P
Though the tablet is still lighter and more compact and accessible and battery life. You will invariably use it more. You don't need a desk. You can use it anywhere, even standing up. And it doesn't need to be constantly charged/plugged in.

this post was written on a nexus 7 2012!

Reactions: endoverend

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Laptops can have a battery life of 6 hours too, 11/13inch without optical drive though(better known as ultrabooks). I've seen lots of cheap ultrabooks lately that can do the job way better than a tablet and are light and portable enough to lug around everywhere. just the fact of having a physical keyboard make laptops much more usable.

NOTE: I had a Xperia Pro and I loved and miss the physical keyboard :cry:

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How much are you going to type in class?

I'm relatively new into tablets. IMO they're awesome to read and watch things, but suck for things that require extensive input. Sure, a bluetooth keyboard and controller help out, but aren't exactly practical (unless you go for a transformer or other kind of hybrid).

And yeah, tablets don't have DVD playback. I don't consider it much of a loss (I'd just rip whatever I wanted to see to an avi and transfer that), but if it's important then it's important.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all