Charging Joycons on TV mode

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Virdoo, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Virdoo
    OP

Virdoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    Hi,

I've noticed something really strange about my switch. Yesterday console noticed me that left joycon is running out of the battery, so soon after it I turned off console and attached joycons so they could be charged. Today (more than 12 hours have passed already) I turned console back on and it seems like my joycons didn't charged not a single bit.

I noticed also that my battery indicator on switch is totally wrong. It almost never shows right percentage of the battery. Could it be same problem with joycons?

P.S. I'm going to restart console now

2. Virdoo
    OP

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    Edit:Restarting didn't help. Is it possible to charge joycons on TV mode while console is turned off? Makes no sense to not be possible...

3. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    another thing that nintendo failed to even notice before rushing this system out.

or did they and ignored it like all the other problems to force people to buy the what should be default controller.

or will they release a new adapter for the joycons that includes a charger port.

I hate the fact that the system cant function while docked from PSU only, why playing docked your switch could be fully charged yet you find the battery is draining while its plugged in.

4. zeldaism

zeldaism GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 19, 2016
    United States
    The Joy-Cons don't charge when the console is completely off. You have to put the console in sleep mode to charge them.

5. Virdoo
    OP

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    Damn, for real? I didn't know that even if I own switch for about month and half now... Obviously joycons have really good battery life if they could last for a longer than a month without proper charging.

6. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Yep, can confirm. (But I read they have around 20hrs of battery life, so you aren't playing that much. :P)

7. Virdoo
    OP

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    Umm it's exactly an hour after writting post and joycons are now fully charged. Is switch playing dumb with me or they got charged somehow? Don't know... Anyway If I turn off console on TV mode, it won't go to sleep mode automatically? I don't like to leave console in sleep mode for a long time...

8. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Hmmm... it is designed to be in sleep mode.
    Why don't you want sleep mode? It will not behave as expected, if you don't used it as expected by design.
    Turning it off completely is meant just for storage, of course it will not work as designed (e.g. not charging joycons, after all you asked it to shut down completely, including charging circuits, wasn't it what you wanted).

PS: It always goes to sleep mode when you press the power button, unless you hold it for more than 10 seconds, then it shut downs completely.

zeldaism likes this.
  9. Virdoo
    OP

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    I always hold power button and select turn it off. Is it wrong way on TV mode?

10. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    The intended mode if you are not going to store it is just press the power button once, or hold it and select sleep.

11. Virdoo
    OP

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    I've really bad feeling about leaving devices in sleep mode for a really long time

12. SuongTu

SuongTu Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2011
    or you can buy the joycon grip accessory that recharges your joycons

13. Virdoo
    OP

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    What about device. Does it charges while i turn it off by holding and selecting power off?

14. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I haven't checked it, but I think it does.
    The thing is I usually never power it down (except when it crashes), so I haven't noticed.

15. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I just have two sets of joy-cons. when one set dies I swap them out.

16. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    Well you shouldn't, it's designed to be in sleep mode for a long time. Just use it that way.

zeldaism likes this.