Chaos;Head Noah PC port has been canceled because of Steam's "guideline-required changes"

CHN_1080x600-1024x569.png

CHAOS;HEAD NOAH was set for release on Steam next month, bringing the translation of the 2009 visual novel to PC for the first time. There's been a sudden change in plans, though, as publisher Spike Chunsoft has canceled the PC port of the game just a week before its scheduled release. The reason behind the cancellation is vague, but has something to do with Steam wanting to make "guideline-required changes" to the game, to which Spike Chunsoft declined to do, as they believe it "would not allow the game to be released to its standards".

For now, Spike is looking into getting the game released on other PC storefronts, with an update to be given at a later date. The Nintendo Switch version of the game is unaffected by all this, and is still slated for a release on October 7th.

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (September 30, 2022) - Spike Chunsoft, Inc. today regrets to announce that it will not be able to release CHAOS;HEAD NOAH on Steam as originally planned due to Steam's guideline-required changes to the game's content. Spike Chunsoft, Inc. believes these changes would not allow the game to be released to its standards. The company extends its sincerest apologies to all of the fans looking forward to this release. The company is looking into delivering the title through alternative storefronts, and when details are decided will make another formal announcement. Until then the company appreciates your patience and understanding. Please also rest assured the Nintendo Switch version is not affected and will release on October 7, 2022, as scheduled.

:arrow: Source

inter4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are there any explanations that aren't intentionally vague?
Steam is just like that with VNs. Long history of random rejections and lack of transparency. Apparently some reviewers at Valve has a thing against school uniforms in Japanese VNs. You can buy the game on the Switch from Walmart now, and ESRB rated it mature, so clearly it’s a Valve issue.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Steam is just like that with VNs. Long history of random rejections and lack of transparency. Apparently some reviewers at Valve has a thing against school uniforms in Japanese VNs. You can buy the game on the Switch from Walmart now, and ESRB rated it mature, so clearly it’s a Valve issue.
It's weird how it's specifically VNs too. There's loads worse on Steam. The new games section is typically flooded with low effort hentai puzzle games. But this? Nope. Can't have this on our family friendly store.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any explanations that aren't intentionally vague?

Looking on the eshop, the ERSB rating is M with:
Blood and Gore, Sexual Themes, Language, Intense Violence

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/chaos-head-noah-switch/

If I had to guess I'd go with the second listing being a possible reason as I've heard Valve require games to remove sexual content in the past, that said, here in the UK it's just saying it's rated 18 with 'Extreme Violence'.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ni...ware/CHAOS-HEAD-NOAH-2264469.html#gameDetails

Although I do find it weird that Nintendo of all companies is more lenient.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's weird how it's specifically VNs too. There's loads worse on Steam. The new games section is typically flooded with low effort hentai puzzle games. But this? Nope. Can't have this on our family friendly store.
Wonder what kind of guidelines accept "FURRY HITLER" as a hentai game but not CHAOS;HEAD when CHAOS;CHILD is already on Steam...?

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder what kind of guidelines accept "FURRY HITLER" as a hentai game but not CHAOS;HEAD when CHAOS;CHILD is already on Steam...?
Japanese = bad? I can't think of a good explanation other than xenophobia considering some of the stuff on Steam these days. Hopefully they'll be able to find an alternative storefront to use without too much trouble.

Reactions: Tsukiru

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC there's a particularly bad negative delusion that suggests sexual violence and dismemberment, but it's been years since I played the fan made English patch, so I could be misremembering, I believe it's a delusion with Yua. Steam has games that have worse than that though.

the anti censorship outrage is free publicity though.
I don't think this game needs publicity, people have been waiting for an English release for a decade.

Last edited by Guacaholey,

McPringles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (September 30, 2022) - Spike Chunsoft, Inc. today regrets to announce that it will not be able to release CHAOS;HEAD NOAH on Steam as originally planned due to Steam's guideline-required changes to the game's content. Spike Chunsoft, Inc. believes these changes would not allow the game to be released to its standards. The company extends its sincerest apologies to all of the fans looking forward to this release. The company is looking into delivering the title through alternative storefronts, and when details are decided will make another formal announcement. Until then the company appreciates your patience and understanding. Please also rest assured the Nintendo Switch version is not affected and will release on October 7, 2022, as scheduled.
I think 'cancelled' is overselling it a bit.

The first game in the franchise that actually came to PCs in the West didn't even release on Steam in the first place; JAST published Steins;Gate exclusively on their storefront, and it wasn't until Spike Chunsoft got into the publishing game that it got a Steam release, years later.

Reactions: NewLoveMachine

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, I just hate Steam. Look for Gamer Girls: Dating Sim on there.

Double standards are double. Steam is becoming a cesspool of trash games.

I hope more morally high ground decisions like this get publicised and destroy the image of the big gate keeper that Steam is.

This is like the Super Seducer crap. But there you have games that are objective trash and they are there.

I hope one of these days Steam goes up in smoke.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC there's a particularly bad negative delusion that suggests sexual violence and dismemberment, but it's been years since I played the fan made English patch. Steam has games that have worse than that though, so

I don't think this game needs publicity, people have been waiting for an English release for a decade.
While it doesn't need it, this still brings more eyes to it. People who aren't into Science Adventure franchise but keep up with Steam or similar guidelines would go "man I wonder what caused this to be in a shit storm".

krasaty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not just VNs, but anything from the japanese doujin (self published) community really. Doujin RPGs, ACTs, and VNs are all affected because of those few reviewers. Getting one of those games through without censoring everything that those reviewers don't like is a crapshoot. Sometimes there'll be no problems and sometimes they'll deny a game because a character is too short (this has happened).

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its wierd times when nintendo now has less problems with censorship than valve or sony this days.
It is because Nintendo is a Japanese company and the culture around protecting children from sexualization is not nearly as strong there

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is because Nintendo is a Japanese company and the culture around protecting children from sexualization is not nearly as strong there
I mean even the US side of Nintendo has been looser. Sony is definitely motivated for the (proper use of the word) xenophobia and constantly appealing who read "video games are art" as "video games need to be exactly like movies".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work