Channel Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tempus T, Mar 2, 2011.

Mar 2, 2011

Channel Question by Tempus T at 11:42 AM (364 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. Tempus T
    OP

Newcomer Tempus T Member

United States
    I may be going in some sort of right direction after my troubles before.
    Could someone point me in the direction of some clear guidance for getting (making) the channels on the HBC menu that go directly to say the gba/snes/nes emulators?
    That is what is considered a "channel" right? Or am I referring to it wrong?
    Still slogging along.
    TIA

2. Category

Member Category Trainee Romhacker

United Kingdom
    Well, the applications listed by the Homebrew Channel aren't generally considered "channels". But info is here on Wiibrew about how to set them up. All it needs is the executable file (*.elf/*.dol) renamed to boot.elf/boot.dol, a file called icon.png containing the logo, and meta.xml giving HBC the descriptive information, and possibly loading paramters. But generally, most people release apps with their own meta.xml & icon.png, so you should rarely have to configure them yourself.

As for actual channels, as seen on the Wii's system menu, the easiest way is using the Simple Forwarder Channel Creator. There are more ways to edit them, such as using CustomizeMii, but when you start creating banners and animations, it gets more complicated. And can result in banner bricks, if you mess it up.

Creating applications in the HBC is easy and safe, but if you are making system menu channels, make sure your read up and have some form of brick protection.