Homebrew changing default language with SNEmulDS 6

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've got a Japanese DSL and SNEmulDS beta 6 apparently uses the default language of the machine.

My Japanese isn't the greatest and I can't figure out how to switch it to a language I'm more comfortable with.

Anyone know how to do this? The creator Archeides says in his blog:

QUOTE said:
You can choose one of the language in the firmware or some language by editing the snemul.cfg
I don't quite get how exactly or where on the cfg or to what it should be changed.

More on Archeides blog: http://www.snemul.com/ds/?p=35

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Okay, I figured it out. It's at the very very end of the string of languages. That's what you change.

Now I've got to figure out why DKC 1 2 and 3 all freeze on boot-up when no other ROMs do. Ugh.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Figured THAT one out, too. You have to pull out the slot-2 for some reason. That's something I hope gets addressed at some point.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Will this cause any other problems? Doing this I assume will prevent it from using the Slot-2 as extra memory. Is this necessary? Does it slow games down?

[edit]

Hmmm. Does the trick. Thanks!

DKC3 freezes though consistently after finishing the first level of the first world.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
What you did doesn't prevent it from using your SLOT-2 device's memory. Read the comments in the cfg:
Code:
# MapExtMem = 0 =>; Use external memory like a disk with paging enabled.
# In this mode, the emulator copy part of the ROM into the DS RAM as the
# the game needs it. It is the fastest method in most games.
#
# MapExtMem = 1 -> Map external memory directly, doesn't use memory paging.
# In this mode, the emulator doesn't copy the ROM into the DS RAM, it uses it
# directly from the external memory. As external memory is much slower than
# DS RAM, it is most of the time the slower method, but if a game uses a large
# range of memory (like graphic intensive game like Mortal Kombat), it can
# be faster than the other method. Some games can crash or refuse to launch,
# because the ROM cannot be locked read-only.
So you're not turning it off, just changing the way it functions, so that instead of loading the entire ROM directly from your SLOT-2 device (slowly), it loads chunks (pages) from your SLOT-2 device into the DS's RAM (from which it can read quickly). If you're not happy with setting it globally like this, you can set MapExtMem individually underneath the headings for each game, e.g. as follows:
Code:
[FINAL FANTASY 3]
MapExtMem = 1
SoundPortSync = 00000011
#TilePriorityBG = 1
This way you can have 0 as the global setting, but have Final Fantasy 3 run with MapExtMem enabled if it runs better that way (this is just an example however, I have no idea which way FF3 would run better).

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How does this new o.6a work with DKC 1,2, and 3? Do these still freeze up occasionally?

If these three games can run well at some point, I'll be one happy camper, let me tell you!

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'll answer my own question: NO!

Pity pity pity.

Is there a solution to DKC 1 and 3 (so far -- maybe 2 will too) freezing up?

I would really really like to play these games.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
regnad said:
How does this new o.6a work with DKC 1,2, and 3? Do these still freeze up occasionally?

If these three games can run well at some point, I'll be one happy camper, let me tell you!
They work just fine for me with my SuperCard Lite plugged into slot 2. I remember only 1 freeze happening in DKC3 at the end of a water stage (Bazza's Blockade? I think) where nothing I tried would work, so I copied the save data to my PC, loaded the game on an emulator, completed the stage without issue and saved, then put the save back on the microSD. Haven't had any other freezes since.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.