ROM Hack Change language on a Pokemon rom hack ?

Cortexfou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello,
I want to play Pokémon Sacred Gold in french. Is there a way to mod the text files of a rom hack to change the language and put the official translation ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That really depends what was done for the hack and what version it was aimed for, and how the original game works. From memory then pokemon tends to be one language per version of the ROM when it came to the DS (though even the older stuff was much the same way) and not always a quick and dirty translation when going between Japan and the US and then the US and Europe (or maybe Japan and Europe of Nintendo Germany was handling the translations -- don't know what went for pokemon).
If the hack changes the story and text in the game (as opposed to just some stats) then it gets harder. Looking at https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-sacred-gold-storm-silver.327567/ then it claims a whole bunch of new events which probably means changed text.

Short version. It would likely be a more involved hack than something I would be able to say "unpack this, unpack this, copy these, repack ROM" for. If you wanted to try overwriting font, text files and whatever else from the equivalents the official French version it is possibly worth a try but I would not expect much.

Cortexfou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks. maybe I can try to mod the french version myself to add what I want to have (all pokemon available and the evolution changes).
Can you advice me a tool to change the wild pokemon, put legendary pokemon and change the evolution system in heartgold ? Is it possible to do by a noob like me ? I don't want to change anything else.

EDIT : never mind. Some tools doesn't work with the french version. Sorry to bother you

EDIT2 : I still what to try to put the language in it. I read about a .narc who have the french translation. How can I take the .narc in the french version and put it in sacred ? :( (if the new added text is still in english it doesn't matter)

Last edited by Cortexfou,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anything that pulls apart a ROM into its constituent files (ndstool, dsbuff, dslazy, crystaltile2, tinke, NitroExplorer 3, https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ndsfactory-unpack-and-repack-nds-roms.548053/ .... the list goes on for a long time, probably avoid those that only extract and import individual files of the same size (so ndshv and ndsts).

Once unpacked you just use normal file copy and paste, and then you get to repack it just the same. I don't know what narc files are responsible for the language (or indeed what subset of them -- for this you might only be able to replace a fraction of them without reworking things) offhand but someone would have written them down, and you can always experiment.

Reactions: Cortexfou

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended