• Total voters

eligri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!

I've got a brand new New 3ds xl on 10.1. It has never been connected online, and has only been used to play games on a r4i-sdhc rts card. Nothing installed on it. No system transfer done. Online not required, but would be a bit of a plus.

About myself: I'm decently tech-savy (work in IT, and have had my fair share of computer experience). However, after quite a bit of research, there are still a few things I don't fully understand around downgrading and CFW installation.

1. Can downgrading to 9.2, even if performed correctly, cause a soft-brick?

2. Can a soft-brick, requiring a update, be reversed to atleast support a sky3ds+ and/or my r4i card?

3. Even if I get CFW correctly installed, will that be "better" than a sky3ds+ card? Will have maybe 10-15 games or so.
Cheers

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Easiest question of all times. I mean, Gateway vs free CFW can lead to some debates (where most people would vote free CFW) but Sky3DS(+) loses to anything if you have the choice.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Go with CFW. Your system is actually quite easy to downgrade.
Soft bricks rarely happen, though I suggest if you have DSi games or Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, to uninstall those first. I found those caused the most issues with downgrading.
Soft bricks (IIRC) can only be fixed through safe mode, which will require you upgrade
CFWs are a lot better for a lot of reasons. One of course being free, homebrew support,
There are just tons of features that CFWs have, that Sky3DS doesn't
https://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/

eligri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I get that CFW has a TON of features that sky3ds+ doesn't have, but honestly, none of those really matter for me. I only have a 3ds to burn some spare time, not really that "into" the scene (more of a PC guy myself). So mainly just want something that works, with minimal effort, and maximum smoothness. Would CFW still be better than sky3ds+, despite only needing a tiny part of what CFW has to offer?

Cheers

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that CFW has a TON of features that sky3ds+ doesn't have, but honestly, none of those really matter for me. I only have a 3ds to burn some spare time, not really that "into" the scene (more of a PC guy myself). So mainly just want something that works, with minimal effort, and maximum smoothness. Would CFW still be better than sky3ds+, despite only needing a tiny part of what CFW has to offer?

Cheers
The install process is minimal it used to take roughly 4 hours and is nearly full proof, flashcarts at the moment are pointless. Take the dive and if some point you want to use all the extra features it offers go ahead but I find simply using CFW+FreeShop to be the best option.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cheers
cfw is always best even if you don't use the features. It only is 30 minutes to an hour. Also sky3ds+ doesn't work with new games like sun/moon

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I see :)

How about when it comes to load-time/save time/performance?
Load/save is as fast as the games allow them to be.
With cfw you can set the new 3ds to run at the best speeds and make loading times faster and stuff.
It works with every game while sky3ds doesn't work with newer games like sun/moon

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Alright, I see :)

How about when it comes to load-time/save time/performance?
CFWs/Sky3DS have no impact on those. Those are all based on the speed of your SD card and your current system.

eligri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What is the best/simplest/newest guide you guys know of for CFW? Only need the bare minimum for running 3ds games. Currently on 10.1.something-eu.

Cheers :)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

eligri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool! Thanks a lot :)

Also, last question, what are the options for keeping same saves on 2 systems with CFW? Got an old 3ds also, so being able to play the same save on both is a bit of a plus (although not much, hehe).

Cheers

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated