CFW noob questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by FrozenDragon150, Nov 6, 2014.

1. FrozenDragon150
    OP

FrozenDragon150 Notorious Coffee Drinker

Nov 6, 2014
    Venezuela
    Title should give you a hint about the topic.

Since most of the knowledge about the CFW is dispersed/outdated, i would like to ask some questions:

-What EXACTLY is this 3DS Custom Firmware? Is it like Emunand? Or do i need Emunand to use it?

-Why does it say on the 'complete' guide that i need an eshop game or a 3ds flashcart with eshop access?

-What can i do with the CFW? Can i play 3ds ROMs?

- What exaactly is a CIA? Do i need that?

-If the CFW is like the Emunand, can i update? Can i access eshop and dlc? If it is not, and i need Emunand to use it, can i update the emunand and use the aforementioned features?

-and lastly, what are the physical requirements for setting up the CFW? I have a DS mode flashcart (R4i SDHC Dual Core) and a 4 GB SD card (it came with my 3DS) but i don't have a gateway 3ds, 'cause i"m torn since there would be no point in having both the gateway and cfw if they both do the same things, do i need one?

Thanks in advance

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    It's basically emuNAND without requiring Gateway or a 3DS flashcart. It doesn't yet support updating to anything past 4.5.

It's an outdated message that needs to be removed.

Anything a 4.5 3DS can do, and yes it can play 3DS games (repacked in CIA format). You can even play some 6.X games (ALBW, Pokémon X/Y (though I can't seem to get saving working in Y USA...)). Also, you can't use it to play retail carts with higher firmwares at this point.

It stands for CTR Importable Archive. Basically it's like a .wad file for the Wii. It contains info needed to install 3DS applications/games onto your SD card. You need to convert .3DS format files to .CIA if you want to run them on this CFW.

As I said above, no, you can't update, thus no eShop access at this point (you could with Gateway + CFW, but with the leaked free CFW, not yet).

Just a 3DS on 4.5 or below, and some sort of DS-mode flashcart. No Gateway needed unless you want higher firmware versions of emuNAND right now and can't wait for possible future developments.

Basically, it boils down to this:
    Gateway + CFW:
    -Everything gateway can do up to this point, plus the ability to install CIA files
    -Higher compatibility with newer games

Leaked CFW on its own:
    -Everything a 4.5 3DS can do on its own, plus the ability to install CIA files
    -Some compatibility with 6.x games (it's still new, but people have reported ALBW, Pokemon, and I think Fantasy Life to be working).

dronesplitter and CIH137 like this.
  3. CIH137

CIH137 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    Nice post daxtsu. I didn't understand the limitations of not having gateway, but now I do.

So I guess I have a question of my own. How exactly does the .cia work with DLC? Will it just install on my 3ds and then the next time I play my rom, the rom will reconize I have the file or will I need to start a fresh rom? Basically I want to keep my save game.

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I'm not sure how DLC works with the CFW yet. I've only messed with the base games so far.

5. RJ Sly 95

RJ Sly 95 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2010
    I had some similar concerns too. Thanks daxstu :)

If I understand correctly, as a clone cart owner I can do the same things plus actually more, as playing Pokemon (and being able to save) and running homebrews. Right?

EDIT: completely skipped the part where you said that you can't save in Pokemon. :/

6. FrozenDragon150
    OP

FrozenDragon150 Notorious Coffee Drinker

Nov 6, 2014
    Venezuela
    Thanks, that cleared a lot of stuff up.

So, should i buy a gateway 3ds or stick to the cfw? The gateway 3ds would really be a better choice since it has more support, but by buying it i would have to wait another year to get my much awaited HTC One X :(...

Will the CFW get more updates, does it have any hope of eventually being able to match the Gateway 3ds in capabilities?

7. CIH137

CIH137 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    United States

Personally, I love gateway, but things are happening fast here the past couple days. I would say if there is not a pressing urge to play some of the latest games, I would stick with beating/playing all the games cfw has to offer and then see where the 3ds is at that point.