Hacking CFG USB Loader black screen problems

autobulb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried searching for occurrences of this problem in the forums, in the readme, and in the developer's site but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Every once in a while the USB loader just fails to load from the HBC. It goes into a black screen and nothing is responsive. I have to do a hard reset. Other times it goes into the same black screen when coming out of game. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Using CFG USB Loader v55 on a standard 2GB SD card (not-HC). Using cIOS249 rev17.

Another lesser problem is that when I select a theme from within the USB loader, it doesn't save my selection and always reverts back to the default blue matrix theme. It does this even when it doesn't crash to a black screen and I exit out normally. Do I have to set this manually in a config file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd guess the black screen is caused by your USB drive spinning down, but I can't be sure.

As for the theme, you need to set it via the "theme" option in config.txt or settings.cfg (settings.cfg has priority if it is set in both). Cfg will save it to settings.cfg for you if you save the global options (push 2 on the global options screen). You could also just edit the files yourself or use the Configurator.

habsfan0101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've experienced the same black screen behaviour with v51, but only when reloading from HBC after playing a game.

Dr.Clipper, if it was drive spindown, would we not experience crashes mid-game? Is it possible that the drive is going to sleep immediately upon exiting a game? I think I'm going to try running from a flash drive & see if the problem continues. If it persists, then that should eliminate spindown as the culprit, no? Also, I'm using NTFS, so if the problem continues with the flash drive, I'll try formatting to FAT & see what happens.

autobulb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's drive spindown. When it was happening a lot I unplugged my drive to see if that was the problem. I would still get black screens with no drive plugged in, and I have run USB Loader without a drive before, so...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi