Ccleaner compromised to distribute malware

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have never stated that registry cleaning will speed up pc...
and no one claimed you did. You claimed it cleans lots of junk and therefore isn't snake-oil to which I replied that windows comes with on board tools to clean temporary files. That makes that part of CCleaner useless.
I then went on to take CCLeaner further appart and making my position clear as to why I called it snake-oil: the second prominent feature of CCleaner is it's registry cleaner which is rather useless. Just like the first feature.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
and no one claimed you did. You claimed it cleans lots of junk and therefore isn't snake-oil to which I replied that windows comes with on board tools to clean temporary files. That makes that part of CCleaner useless.
I then went on to take CCLeaner further appart and making my position clear as to why I called it snake-oil: the second prominent feature of CCleaner is it's registry cleaner which is rather useless. Just like the first feature.
Onboard tools to clean temp and junk files that aren't automated and don't always get everything.

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Onboard tools to clean temp and junk files that aren't automated and don't always get everything.
I decided to give your claim a semi-scientific test (to the extent that is possible with one computer). So what I did was download CCleaner (portable), then use the windows on-board tools to clean temporary files. I then ran CCleaner to Analyze what it can find.

Interesting fact #1: It found a whole whopping 839MB to clean up - "Now that's a lot" one might think and I was suprised at first. I was expecting it to find something as surely no tool, downloaded or on-board is all encompasing (sp?) but I wasn't expecting almost an entire Gigabyte worth of data. But looking further into it, I found:
interesting fact #2: From these 839Mb of files 800Mb are allocated to "Utilities - NVIDIA Install files". Now, there's a reason I keep these specific install files on my Laptop and I wouldn't want those deleted at all. Why in gods name CCleaner decides that I am not going to need these files that are very important to me is beyond me. But hey, I can disable that. So we're now down to 39Mb of remaining files that CCleaner could clean that the windows on board tools could not.

Now you might want to call me wastefull, but let me point out: the last time I actually cleaned my harddrive was over a year ago. Way over a year ago... But 39Mb of storage space over a timeframe of, say, 1.5 years is
a) not worth anyones time
b) insubstantial enough to qualify *not* installing additional software on your PC that might introduce security flaws, adware or even malware.
c) potentially risking important data (see my specific example about NVIDIA install files that I actually need to keep.

Reactions: Deleted User

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
as long as you didn't used AVG

I've not used AVG nah, but I've looked at it and with all the drama it had also, I thought I would not use it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your defense of "don't talk about it, it doesn't have any relation" is wholly off point. Why don't you go yelling about it to other people who made 'unrelated comments'

... The fact that you didn't took all my post when I was saying that Piriform patched CCleaner, you made your post by having a point that is untrue with me.

I've only resumed the post that Byokugen posted, if you haven't saw it. And you made yourself off topic by denonciating off topic posts.

Byokugen

Unit_01
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I decided to give your claim a semi-scientific test (to the extent that is possible with one computer). So what I did was download CCleaner (portable), then use the windows on-board tools to clean temporary files. I then ran CCleaner to Analyze what it can find.

Interesting fact #1: It found a whole whopping 839MB to clean up - "Now that's a lot" one might think and I was suprised at first. I was expecting it to find something as surely no tool, downloaded or on-board is all encompasing (sp?) but I wasn't expecting almost an entire Gigabyte worth of data. But looking further into it, I found:
interesting fact #2: From these 839Mb of files 800Mb are allocated to "Utilities - NVIDIA Install files". Now, there's a reason I keep these specific install files on my Laptop and I wouldn't want those deleted at all. Why in gods name CCleaner decides that I am not going to need these files that are very important to me is beyond me. But hey, I can disable that. So we're now down to 39Mb of remaining files that CCleaner could clean that the windows on board tools could not.

Now you might want to call me wastefull, but let me point out: the last time I actually cleaned my harddrive was over a year ago. Way over a year ago... But 39Mb of storage space over a timeframe of, say, 1.5 years is
a) not worth anyones time
b) insubstantial enough to qualify *not* installing additional software on your PC that might introduce security flaws, adware or even malware.
c) potentially risking important data (see my specific example about NVIDIA install files that I actually need to keep.
Dude... if you want those nvidia files so badly, keep the downloaded file itself, half the size.
Is ccleaner useful, yes it is
Do you need it, no you don't.

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You really have no idea what snake oil is... It's kind of pathetic at this point.

CCleaner does what it needs to. It doesn't claim to magically make your PC better. Don't pretend it does.

It doesn't? It's, like, right in the center of their homepage:

CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your PC.
It protects your privacy and makes your computer faster and more secure!

It doesn't protect your privacy,
it doesn't make your computer faster
and it certainly doesn't make it more secure as proven by this news.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't MSE kinda.... dead right now ? Like, not a big number of AV testers use it, and it's not that mentioned. Even MS does not link it.

I don't have Windows 10, so no, it's not dead *shrug*. I have no compelling reason to be on Windows 10 right now.

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
i have Ccleaner! i feel so dirty now :sad:.
me too...but I got 5.31 so no issues there.
Version 5.33 of the CCleaner app offered for download between August 15 and September 12 was modified to include the Floxif malware, according to a report published by Cisco Talos a few minutes ago.

glad I still got 5.31

On September 13, Piriform released CCleaner 5.34 and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 that do not contain the malicious code.

the threat has now been resolved in the sense that the rogue server is down, other potential servers are out of the control of the attacker, and we’re moving all existing CCleaner v5.33.6162 users to the latest version. Users of CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 have received an automatic update. In other words, to the best of our knowledge, we were able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm.

Source : @Byokugen 's Reddit link.

Still not gonna update...always used the zip version anyway.

this is why i havent updated mines
Clever Girl!

manually go into the temp folder and delete the files yourself
the only thing i used it for was for delete that...
yeah it cleans stuff like browsers and stuff. but i have no reason to delete thoose, and browsers got that "choose what to delete" thing already

I use ccleaner not for my system, but mainly for Other's systems, since it sometimes removes malware by simply erasing self-resurrecting starting programs. Ironic, I know.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You really have no idea what snake oil is... It's kind of pathetic at this point.

CCleaner does what it needs to. It doesn't claim to magically make your PC better. Don't pretend it does.
which is... what, exactly?
You seem to have some sort of personal use case for CCleaner and why it is good, while everyone else seems to agree on use cases where CCleaner is either redundant, irrelevant, or dangerous.

Byokugen

Unit_01
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
which is... what, exactly?
You seem to have some sort of personal use case for CCleaner and why it is good, while everyone else seems to agree on use cases where CCleaner is either redundant, irrelevant, or dangerous.
Whit a click of a button deletes temp files, search history, cache etc. I've been using it for many moons and many others as well. So yeah, it did a good job, will I stop using it, probably.
Maybe it is dangerous now, but it was pretty cool when.I started using it.
I'm sorry that Avast bought the company, but hey, who care about what I think.

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
MS doesn't link it because they want Windows Defender to be part of the reason why people should get Windows 8.1 or above...

Well then. I already knew that Windows Defender now is preinstalled everywhere, and since I'm an Insider, there's also a Windows Defender "control guard" that you CANNOT delete.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sans titre.png This is what I'm talking about. Basically it checks uf the AV is working, if Edge (even if you don't use it) has got his proper and "secure" settings, if the firewall is working correctly and even if you are updated.

(this is my actual screen with the need to update for me (Redstone 4 awaiting me for update))

Last edited by sp3off,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...