CCE for R4?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Anti, Aug 17, 2008.

Aug 17, 2008

CCE for R4? by Anti at 12:23 AM (2,615 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Anti
    OP

Member Anti GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't you just hate when you input a code on the cheat code editor and put it on, then have to edit it?
    Well, maybe someone can make a cheat editor for the usrcheat.dat ?

Just a suggestion that i think would be appreciated by flash carters.

BTW: If this already exists please direct me to the DL link, or tell me what its called.

Thanks for reading

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    What? I cant understand what your saying. But can I suggest using the cheat code database here so you dont have to input codes yourself. One of the members (i think) has cheat file for all nds games. Use the search.

3. Anti
    OP

Member Anti GBAtemp Regular

United States
    like, an app that opens up usrcheat.dat from the flash cart, and you can edit/add/remove codes.

4. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Not possible with the way the cheat files are set up. All the games and their codes have to be loaded into AM before they are encoded to byte code and saved to a cheat file. The Nintendo DS simply don't have the resources to do this.

5. linkenski

Member linkenski GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    well r4 cce cheat app can edit both CHEAT.DAT and UsrCheat.DAT, so whats the prob?

6. Narin

United States
    The original poster was talking about a homebrew cheat editor to be used on the Nintendo DS. The R4CCE is a PC application. The Nintendo DS has two low end processors and only 4 megs of ram, its not feasable to make a cheat code editor due to how messy the R4 cheat format is. You have to load the entire file into memory to process it, edit and save it.

7. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
  8. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    You've been doing research [​IMG]
    The DS could do it, with some help from a slot-2 expansion pak. Maybe.
    It's just one of those ideas that will never happen.

EDIT: It doesn;t count, but using DSorganise, I can edit XML files for use with my M3 Real, maybe an extension/hack for DSorganise would be able to encode to UsrCheat.dat and maybe even Cheat.dat

9. Narin

United States
    Might be possible with a RAM expansion pack but the problem is, it would take forever. First it would have to parse the xml file and not simply display it as plain text as DSOrganise does now. This process takes quite a bit of memory and processor time. Then it would neeed to take that data and format it into the cheat. dat format and in the cheat.dat case, encrypt it at all. Its not a simple process and remember, Nintendo only has a 66 and 33 megahertz processor while your computer has anywheres from 2-4 gigahertz and possibly multiple cores.

10. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    How about making it a usrcheat.dat file? It doesn't need to be encrypted, doesn't it?

Also, while it's impossible to process cheat database as huge as yours Narin, maybe a game or two's cheat can be coded? Although, somehow it' not so useful, now that I think about it...