Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I'm looking for a good large storage HDD for my current computer, and I am looking at 2tb. Now the question is that at the 2tb configuration, the two that seem to stand out is the Seagate Barracuda XT and the Western Digital Caviar Black. Any experts here would recommend one over the other?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Regulars to the forums can guess what I'm about to say.

First, I recommend staying away from all Seagate drives. Seagate are not known for their reliability, and of all the Seagate drives I've ever had or has been owned by friends and clients, they've all died by now. On the other hand, Samsung and WD drives are far more reliable and has better performance.

Secondly, 2TB have less performance than 1TB drives, so I generally advise against using one as a boot drive (however, if it's a secondary drive then it won't make any difference). A 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 or WD Caviar Black are great boot drives (if you can't afford a SSD) and then getting a 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4EG or WD Caviar Green makes for an ideal setup. Personally, I prefer Samsung to WD, since Samsung drives are usually cheaper and they have the same level of performance.

If your choice is only between WD Caviar Black and Seagate Barracuda XT, then I'd always go for the WD drive.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you're looking for a storage hdd for your current computer, I'm guessing you already have a OS hdd.
when it comes to data storage, drive performance aren't really an issue (unless some specific circumstances), then using hdd that aren't performance oriented won't really make a big difference on the operating speed of your computer, but may make a huge difference in your pocket. the best exemple is wd green series

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: