Cats: A Blight Upon Nature

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jan 30, 2013.

Jan 30, 2013

Cats: A Blight Upon Nature by Gahars at 5:41 PM (1,607 Views / 1 Likes) 32 replies

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    So, cats. They're basically the official animal of the internet. They're generally easier to train and take care of than, say, a dog; coupled with their all-around cuteness, this trait makes them an ideal pet (or, as some would say, the cat's meow) for many families. Sure, they can be ornery bastards, but that's part of the charm.

Well, at least for us. Let's just say that mother nature isn't so smitten with kittens.
    [​IMG] The New York Times (And The Oatmeal, which pretty much called it)

That's right: Kittens are the purrfect exterminators - and it's a serious cat-astrophe.

Okay, sorry. Now that those are out of my system, let's continue.

A fierce debate is raging between animal rights activists and environmentalists over what to do. While both sides agree that letting cats roam free is wildly irresponsible and damaging, what comes next is the big sticking point. Some have even proposed a gradual culling of the nation's cat population. Of course, with so many attached to their cuddly super predators, any such proposals would face one hell of a fight.

The nation may be forced to decide which it values most: its fragile native ecosystems or the image macro-based economy of the internet. Hopefully a compromise can be reached sometime in the near future.

Well, this is sort of depressing. Why don't you play us off, Keyboard Ca- oh. Oh. Uh... this is awkward.

Lacius likes this.

2. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
  3. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Yup. For two years I've had an abundance of rabbits and squirrels on this property, then we got two cats and the rabbits are rarely found anywhere around here anymore. Except when the cats feel like dragging them to our doorstep. Gross.

Pretty good exterminators.

Rydian likes this.
  4. Bent

Member Bent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I saw this earlier. So now we need to protect nature from itself?

Rydian likes this.
  5. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Well, now that the cat's out of the bag...

...time to put them back in?

Narayan likes this.
  6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Having recently watched a 16 year old cat that does well to get above a couple of kilos savage a somewhat larger dog* I can believe it.

*I would like to believe it was my training that saw it but eyes and neck are good targets it seems.

That said I am OK with this.

If I must offer a solution- cat curry is already a staple of the seedier hotels and sleeping places in my experience.

7. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    some cats are mean. they kill a rat and leave it to stink. eat it up man!

8. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Heard this on the radio last night. I lol'd.
    There's not much that can be done, except getting rid of strays. But there's still a crapton of outdoor housecats.
    They'll never curb the amount of housecats.

9. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    I don't really see the problem here.

If someone does care enough about the circle of life to help keep those littler critters alive, then keep your cat inside.

Heck, this news may even convince every conservationist to be that crazy cat lady on the block. Bring the cats inside to keep them from killing outside.

10. Par39

Member Par39 The Life Hacker

Finland
    *cuddles her kitties* nobody will huwt you q-q

I've always walked my cats on a leash, works perfectly fine. Still let them catch some of the mice around here, but birds and other things are off limits. And won't let them chase the mice around too much either, would be quite hard to keep up with kitty then <-<

11. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  12. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    It's a recent concern in the United States. Which is what the article (and my post) are talking about. Australia may have a similar situation (I've never seen it reported, probably because I don't happen to live there), but that's not the focus here.

Also, as for the Reddit thing - I fully admit I find a lot of the articles through Reddit. If I see something cool/interesting/worthy of sharing, I post it here (with some lame puns and jokes thrown in the mix, of course). That's pretty much how it's always been. I hardly think that really qualifies as mirroring, though.

Rydian likes this.
  13. narutofan777

Member narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    I thought this was a joke when I first read it.

14. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    People are stupid and they're looking at this all wrong. Has anyone thought its a GOOD thing that they're killing all of these things? look at it this way if the cats didn't kill these animals then we'd have a crap load of rats and birds and whatever else roaming the place.

The way I see it everything's equal, cats kill shit, shit reproduces(rats have how many babies per litter? 20 or so? srsly) and the cycle continues. If you think there's fewer birds or rats or whatever else in the world just look outside cause they're freakin EVERYWHERE.

15. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Actually funny Gahars posts this on the same day one of my friend got his back massively scratched by his cat jumping on him.

16. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    What kind of dogs have you had? Cats are dumb.

17. DroRox

Member DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

United States
    No, nature didn't put all these cats in those habitats. They don't belong there but we brought them so they mess up the ecosystems.

18. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Unfortunately, they don't kill rats. They prefer to kill cuter, harmless animals that are absolutely no threat to people. Big rats tend to fight back, so I guess it's fair to assume cats don't want a fight -- they want murder. LOL

/dogperson

19. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    [​IMG]

B-Blue likes this.
  20. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia