Castlevania and Custom VC's

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by XDel, Mar 26, 2014.

1. XDel
    OP

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Recently I have been going back and refreshing my memory on how to make custom virtual consoles and touching up on a few old one's I'd done in the past. I know the Wii has limited internal memory, but now we have SNEEK and the like which allows for programs like USB Loader GX to display them in the same list as your Wii and Gamecube games.

Also there is the fact that I'm a Castlevania fanatic, so my WiiU's vWii is stocked with every Castlevania I could customize into a WAD, coupled with Castlevania Rebirth of course. :)

What I've done is take the English translation of the original Japanese Castlevania and installed that as a WAD. This allows for the Easy option as well as the standard Normal. Though honestly, even on Easy, it's still pretty unfair at times.

As for Castlevania II, I applied the Simon's Redaction hack to make this game enjoyable at long last, not to mention completable without using a cheat guide. I also applied a patch to remove all invisible floors after the first mansion/castle.

Castlevania III again got the same treatment as part I, I used the English translation of the Japanese release which then gives us Castlevania III as it was intended not only to look, but also sound. And it does sound good with that extra sound chip in there!

Super Castlevania is standard.

For Dracula X I used Vampire's Kiss instead as I prefer the original title.

The Genesis version is standard.

The Turbo CD version includes original audio with English subtitles (I didn't care for the English audio patch).

And of course Castlevania Rebirth is standard.

Now what I'm wondering is if anyone is still tinkering with this stuff? Are their better VC's builders out there that we didn't have a year ago, and how come OrangeChicken never released the materials they came up with to make custom Gameboy and Gameboy Advance channels?

2. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Where did you get the english translation of the original japanese AkumajouDracula (Castlevania I)?
    I am looking for that one! Can you share the link?

3. XDel
    OP

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Good question. I honestly can not say, it's been in my collection for at least a couple of years now. I sincerely wish I could provide a link...