Cartridge game updates and system updates

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Network' started by guanyu99, Sep 9, 2015.

1. guanyu99
    OP

guanyu99 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    France
    Hello,

(Sorry if this question has been already asked, but most of the threads revolving around this matter were ambiguous)

I have a new nintendo 3ds with firmware 9.0. For now, I would like to avoid updating my firmware beyond 9.0.

My question is the following:
    Let's say I activate the wifi. If I insert a game cartridge for which a patch is available (for example: Devil Survivor Overclocked), can I safely download the game patch without updating my system firmware?
    I heard that it's necessary to have the latest system firmware when connecting to the eshop. But does it also apply for the download of cartridge game patches?

Of course, I understand that this only apply for game patches that actually do not require a firmware revision > 9.0.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

2. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    You need to be on the latest version to download anything from the E-Shop, whether it is games or patches. So, well, you either need to update, buy a Cubic Ninja game to install a CFW and spoof your firmware, or enjoy your game without summoning any demons.

3. guanyu99
    OP

guanyu99 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    France
    Thanks for your answer, but let me be more specific.
    I also heard that when wifi is "on" and you boot a cartridge that has an update available, you're "prompted" to install it (that is, you do not explicitly go to the eshop).
    For this kind of "game update path", it is also necessary to update the firmware?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

4. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Yes, you're forced to update the system to update the game. Even if you do not enter the E-Shop app, your console still downloads the update from the E-Shop servers.

5. guanyu99
    OP

guanyu99 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    France
    Ok. Thank you!

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.