Capcom announces its plug and play home arcade machine, the 'Capcom Home Arcade'

capcom_logo_396x101.png
Not wanting to be left out of the retro gaming hype, Capcom has announced that it'll soon bring to the market its own console packed with retro games. Named the 'Capcom Home Arcade' and shaped in the form of the company's logo which is... basically colored alphabets of the company's name, this 22 x 74 x 11 cm nostalgia-oriented, plug-and-play device comes with 16 of "the best Capcom titles from the golden-age of arcade gaming". As its name implies, it will boast arcade-styled features like a pair of "competition class" arcade styled control sticks and face buttons for two players.

The company also notes that the 16 pre-installed games are from the original Capcom CPS1 and CPS2 arcade ROMs with emulation provided by FB Alpha, which Capcom certifies as "delivering an authentic & accurate arcade experience".
Speaking of games, here's the full list:
  • 1944: The Loop Master
  • Alien Vs. Predator
  • Armored Warriors
  • Capcom Sports Club
  • Captain Commando
  • Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness
  • Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors
  • Eco Fighters
  • Final Fight
  • Ghouls ’N Ghosts
  • Gigawing
  • Mega Man: The Power Battle
  • Progear
  • Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
  • Strider
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
gaem.PNG

Featuring a USB port for power and HDMI one for display, the Capcom Home Arcade also has onboard WiFi to share your single or co-op multi player scores to the Worldwide High Score Leaderboard to see how you match up against other players across the globe.

Capcom has announced that its Capcom Home Arcade will be available from all major gaming retailers from 25 October 2019 in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Middle East and Russia. Pre-orders are also live from Amazon UK at £200.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When you consider that a Hori arcade stick costs $150 and up, that price doesn't seem that bad as you get two 6-button joysticks, enough for most things.
The problem is, I'm guessing they didn't add any sort of functionality to let you use it as a USB (XInput) controller, which would sort of justify the price tag. It wouldn't cost them much to do (lets say $10-15 in parts and labor for the USB XInput interface if they partner up with someone like Hori that already has experience manufacturing XInput controllers and could repurpose one of their existing designs without much trouble) and it would make this a much more attractive offering.
For an additional $10-15 over $200 I think it would be a no brainer.
But when you're limited to such a small selection of games, it kind of seems like a waste to go with real arcade controls. Dedicated fans of Capcom arcade games might be happy, but even they will likely find the list a bit lacking. Being able to use it with any game you want would be a huge deal.

I'm not sure about that design. I guess it was either this or make it a generic rectangular shape like every arcade stick on the market, but this looks like it could dig into your wrists when you play on a tabletop, and it might be a bit too much. I think I would rather have a rectangular shape with some cool designs from the games on it. I mean, egocentric much, Capcom? It's the games we care about, not the brand. Get over yourselves. This looks more like an ad than a product.
If you can load your own CPS 1/2, MAME & Neo Geo stuff then maybe.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw the price.
200 euro ? Eum no thanks
I kinda dig the look. I just wanna mount that capcom logo on my wall :P
It's not a bad selection of games either
That price tag though is kind of outrageous. Re-acquiring the AVP license must have cost them. [=
Arcade sticks are not cheap. Considering the Hori ones are $150 and up, I'd say the price is not too bad considering the cost of the parts that go into it. It's just that it's hard to justify when you can only use it with 15 ish games. Would be much more worth it if it could work as an XInput controller.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this coming a mile away. :blink:

The only problem with this is that Ghouls n ghost and strider is on here. There isn't anything wrongs with the games itself (besides difficulty) but they are the only two single player games. I know those are favor by many, but why include two controllers and then have single player games, even if you take turns?:unsure:

Also, please stop putting a logo on everything and enlarging it to the point of absurdity. That doesn't come off as creative or appealing. Hire someone to make some kind of exclusive artwork that fits the size of it. That's why the mural artwork for super smash bros ultimate was so special... even if you do need a ultra wide screen or multiple monitors to see it. :ninja:

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
When you consider that a Hori arcade stick costs $150 and up, that price doesn't seem that bad as you get two 6-button joysticks, enough for most things.
The problem is, I'm guessing they didn't add any sort of functionality to let you use it as a USB (XInput) controller, which would sort of justify the price tag. It wouldn't cost them much to do (lets say $10-15 in parts and labor for the USB XInput interface if they partner up with someone like Hori that already has experience manufacturing XInput controllers and could repurpose one of their existing designs without much trouble) and it would make this a much more attractive offering.
For an additional $10-15 over $200 I think it would be a no brainer.
But when you're limited to such a small selection of games, it kind of seems like a waste to go with real arcade controls. Dedicated fans of Capcom arcade games might be happy, but even they will likely find the list a bit lacking. Being able to use it with any game you want would be a huge deal.

I'm not sure about that design. I guess it was either this or make it a generic rectangular shape like every arcade stick on the market, but this looks like it could dig into your wrists when you play on a tabletop, and it might be a bit too much. I think I would rather have a rectangular shape with some cool designs from the games on it. I mean, egocentric much, Capcom? It's the games we care about, not the brand. Get over yourselves. This looks more like an ad than a product.

Arcade sticks are not cheap. Considering the Hori ones are $150 and up, I'd say the price is not too bad considering the cost of the parts that go into it. It's just that it's hard to justify when you can only use it with 15 ish games. Would be much more worth it if it could work as an XInput controller.
They sell it for high prices but you can easily make it yourself for less than 50 with the same parts. Also most don't sell that high as you can see with this link. https://www.amazon.de/PS4-Fighting-Stick-Mini-PlayStation-Schwarz/dp/B019MMN94A/ref=sr_1_21?__mk_nl_NL=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=Arcade-Stick&qid=1555428654&s=gateway&sr=8-21.
It costs less than 50 and it's a hori stick. Also the lioncasts aren't that bad either and cost less then 30 bucks. Capcom can easily make those arcade sticks for less than 50 so 100-120 would be a more reasonable price seeing their using an open source emulator and they don't have any development shit going on whatsoever. If it were a self made emulator i would justify the price a bit but it isn't so no the price is just 2 damn high

Last edited by kumikochan,

evilone

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I really like the design, its really special haha (okay, some how it looks weired), but 16 Games for 250$ ? Nooooop, for this i can get a X-Arcade Tank + Pi + SD Card.
Or you can simply buy a Pandora Box-

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait it uses an open source emulator??

Worse, it uses a non-commercial--"You may not sell, lease, rent or otherwise seek to gain monetary profit from FB Alpha;"--free software*--"You must make public any changes you make to the source code;" emulator. I guess they weren't content fucking over the snes9x and mame developers**.

* Of course there could be some good argument that being non-commercial and free software is incompatible.

** The Super Retro-Cade of course uses snes9x and mame--the latter before it switch from non-commercial to GPL.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They sell it for high prices but you can easily make it yourself for less than 50 with the same parts. Also most don't sell that high as you can see with this link. https://www.amazon.de/PS4-Fighting-Stick-Mini-PlayStation-Schwarz/dp/B019MMN94A/ref=sr_1_21?__mk_nl_NL=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=Arcade-Stick&qid=1555428654&s=gateway&sr=8-21.
It costs less than 50 and it's a hori stick. Also the lioncasts aren't that bad either and cost less then 30 bucks. Capcom can easily make those arcade sticks for less than 50 so 100-120 would be a more reasonable price seeing their using an open source emulator and they don't have any development shit going on whatsoever. If it were a self made emulator i would justify the price a bit but it isn't so no the price is just 2 damn high
That's different, that's a mini one. Doesn't use the same size buttons and sticks AFAIK and playing on it is a completely different experience.

BTW, I did build my own arcade stick. Happ Standard buttons and Sanwa JLF TM 8T sticks. Did some research beforehand to figure out what to buy. Everything needed for two sets of controls (minus casing because my intent is to build an arcade cabinet with MAME, but I haven't gotten that far and I don't really have room for it atm) cost me 108.39 GBP + shipping, or $142. The $200 price is not that far off when you add casing and if they were to charge the same as it would cost you to build your own they would have no profit margin left for themselves as they probably aren't making the sticks/buttons themselves so they aren't getting them cheaply. Especially since this isn't being mass produced in the millions, at least I can't imagine it is at that price point. They won't be able to sell that many.
It's a lot of money, but it costs a lot of money to make.

I just built the arcade stick to get some use out of the parts since I probably won't be building an arcade cabinet any time soon. Hence, it's pretty ghetto. Here are some pics :P
Coin (green) and start buttons are backlit, but they run off 12V. I think I'm gonna stick LEDs in there instead so I can run them off 5v.

IMAG0126.jpg IMAG0127.jpg IMAG0128.jpg

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's different, that's a mini one. Doesn't use the same size buttons and sticks AFAIK and playing on it is a completely different experience.

BTW, I did build my own arcade stick. Happ Standard buttons and Sanwa JLF TM 8T sticks. Did some research beforehand to figure out what to buy. Everything needed for two sets of controls (minus casing because my intent is to build an arcade cabinet with MAME) cost me 108.39 GBP + shipping, or $142. The $200 price is not that far off when you add casing and if they were to charge the same as it would cost you to build your own they would have no profit margin left for themselves as they probably aren't making the sticks/buttons themselves so they aren't getting them cheaply. Especially since this isn't being mass produced in the millions, at least I can't imagine it is at that price point. They won't be able to sell that many.
It's a lot of money, but it costs a lot of money to make.
So you really think a company who pays a totally different price than we do tax wise plus orders every component in bulk is paying price as we do ? Def not, they pay for that same thing less then 50 bucks. Also i build a lot of bartops and i don't pay 108 GBP but less than 50 euro if i build mine. 100-120 would be a way better price

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seriously considering this - having avoided all other 'mini/classic' systems to date, based purely on it having Aliens vs Predator on it.
Don't get me wrong, it's a steep price, and I already own a Pandoras Box system with all of these games on that cost almost half as much... nonetheless, I'm considering it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So you really think a company who pays a totally different price than we do tax wise plus orders every component in bulk is paying price as we do ? Def not, they pay for that same thing less then 50 bucks. Also i build a lot of bartops and i don't pay 108 GBP but less than 50 euro if i build mine. 100-120 would be a way better price
And you expect Capcom to have a smaller profit margin than the people selling those parts to us?
BTW check the post again for pics :)

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And you expect Capcom to have a smaller profit margin than the people selling those parts to us?
Like i said i'm not a company, i have to pay different taxes. Don't know how it works in your country but here a business pays a much smaller price than i do as a normal consumer. I also don't buy in bulk and have to order parts from Europe itself cause importing would cost me 2 much. Pretty sure a company like capcom can get all parts cheaper since they don't have to go through all the bullshit of importing and will probably buy it from China in bulk plus also build it in China like almost every company does these days plus also pretty sure they won't have to pay the same taxes i do when buying parts. So if i can build arcade sticks for bartops for less then 50 well pretty sure capcom can do it for even less

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Like i said i'm not a company, i have to pay different taxes. Don't know how it works in your country but here a business pays a much smaller price than i do as a normal consumer. I also don't buy in bulk and have to order parts from Europe itself cause importing would cost me 2 much. Pretty sure a company like capcom can get all parts cheaper since they don't have to go through all the bullshit of importing and will probably buy it from China in bulk plus also build it in China like almost every company does these days plus also pretty sure they won't have to pay the same taxes i do when buying parts. So if i can build arcade sticks for bartops for less then 50 well pretty sure capcom can do it for even less
They can no doubt get parts cheaper, but what I'm saying is that that doesn't mean they are going to sell them cheaper. Why would they?
BTW, check the post again for pics :)

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
They can no doubt get parts cheaper, but what I'm saying is that that doesn't mean they are going to sell them cheaper. Why would they?
BTW, check the post again for pics :)
still don't agree with the price. No costs for a development team since they're using FB Alpha, no extra cost for their games since they own it, hardware won't be that expensive seeing those games can run on real super low end hardware. The only cost they have is the arcade stick. If they build it for a max of 50 euro wich is still a lot for a company like capcom and if they would sell it at 120. well they would still probably earn around 50-40 euro per system. Now they're gonna be raking in 150 euro profit per system wich is just 2 much

D

Deleted_413010

Wait, why no western release? That's bullshit. Pass, I'll just pirate the games instead.

You see its stupid ideas like that that kill companies and make people get fired. Capcom not doing a western release for that shitty thing...I mean it may be shitty but it may have potential and they may change it to be better during the course of development...now back to what I was saying. It may be shitty but that doesn't give them the right to do stupid things. Whoever thought of to not release it in the west is the person that is going to put Capcom in a grave. If I was that person I wouldn't have done that. I have more brains than whoever did that does.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
better spending your money on a clone Pandora 6 or even better the original 3A Game Pandora Box 6 :)
ALiExpress have 35% off at the mo :yay:

https://pandorasbox.aliexpress.com/store/937838

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I Wonder if they do know that this ones cost 180:

View attachment 163961

you beat me to it :)

this looks like the one I've got off ebay for about $120, really good, most game plays really well, a few struggle, this one looks like a clone and not an original A3 one :unsure:

this 16 game Capcom is a rip off for the price :angry:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
still don't agree with the price. No costs for a development team since they're using FB Alpha, no extra cost for their games since they own it, hardware won't be that expensive seeing those games can run on real super low end hardware. The only cost they have is the arcade stick. If they build it for a max of 50 euro wich is still a lot for a company like capcom and if they would sell it at 120. well they would still probably earn around 50-40 euro per system. Now they're gonna be raking in 150 euro profit per system wich is just 2 much
Realistically the people making the most from each sale are probably the retailers and resellers, not Capcom themselves. But yeah I suppose it is a bit pricy. You have to factor in the price of the games (even if it's not costing them anything it doesn't make sense for them to just give the games away does it? When you buy a NES/SNES Classic the games are a large portion of the cost), but at that price, it's limited to being a collectors item rather than something fans will actually buy just to play on.
The parts that go into a NES/SNES Classic are cheap (basically just a $10 Raspberry Pi Zero and the controllers are super basic and cost maybe $5 a piece to make or $7 a piece for the SNES classic), so the final product can still be affordable and they'll still make lots of money, but when the parts that go into it are relatively expensive (but affordable), the final product is gonna end up less affordable... It's just the way the world works. I don't think there's any way they could have sold it for less than $150 while still making a decent amount of money and that would still be rather expensive. But I agree with you they could sell them cheaper.

Reactions: kumikochan

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
£200???? FFS, just buy a raspberry pi.
Just wait 3 months after it fails and it will be down to 50 £. Still a lot but..

Also if Nintendo actually announce a cheaper switch mini then possibly it will be around 200£ so there's a comparison.

Last edited by Zense,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5