Current installed version: 7.1-c73fec4
Current backup version: 7.1
Latest version: 9.0

I click "Install stable version" and get:

---

Update failed

Reason for failed: INCOMPATIBLE UPDATE

---

Extra question. After I update luma can I safely update the official firmware? I just got a new friend code seed and I can't use Pokemon Bank until I update.

(FBI has been updated, if that's relevant)

AJBauer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this means you have to update your version of Boot9Strap. Try running https://github.com/d0k3/SafeB9SInstaller/releases and then updating again.
You can update your 3DS whenever you want, as long as you have CFW on it.
So even if Luma is out of date it's fine?

Also, according to the guide I need the latest version of GodMode9 to update boot9strap.
I don't know how to update GodMode9, though...

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't even need GodMode9 for that, but you might as well update it. Download the latest version from https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/releases/ and put it in SD/luma/payloads. I renamed it to X_GodMode9.firm so I can get to it by holding X while booting, but if you're content with using start then you can do that.

With 7.1 they would need to go thru updating their b9s from their current to 1.3. Once they do that they can update the luma over to 9.0.

Shady_Enigmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm kind of in the same boat here...I have godmode9, and and old version of b9s installed. When I try to run safeb9sinstaller to install a newer version of b9s, godmode9 starts instead. Is there anyway around this?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So I'm kind of in the same boat here...I have godmode9, and and old version of b9s installed. When I try to run safeb9sinstaller to install a newer version of b9s, godmode9 starts instead. Is there anyway around this?
That means you don't have SafeB9SInstaller in your luma/payloads folder. Follow https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s for full instructions.

Shady_Enigmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I was thinking, except when I opened the luma/payloads folder, I had both the godmode9.firm, and the safeb9installer.firm were both in there. So I downloaded the most recent version of safeb9sinstaller.firm just to be safe, and copied it over my previous file in the payloads folder, and godmode still boots up.

Shady_Enigmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so...weirdly, even if I rename godmode9, or delete it, and only have safeb9sinstaller in the payloads, it still somehow manages to boot godmode9...with it being deleted. I also tried putting start_Safeb9sinstaller.firm, still nothing.

Shady_Enigmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is where I apologize for seeming like a complete noob...apparently, I was using an updated luma boot.firm, instead of the version 7.1 that I should have been using. Once I placed the luma 3ds 7.1 boot.firm on the root of my sd card, safeb9sinstaller booted right up.

My bad...lol

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
And this is where I apologize for seeming like a complete noob...apparently, I was using an updated luma boot.firm, instead of the version 7.1 that I should have been using. Once I placed the luma 3ds 7.1 boot.firm on the root of my sd card, safeb9sinstaller booted right up.

My bad...lol
Yep, in case you aren't sure what was happening, it was because it couldn't use the boot.firm on your SD card so reverted to using the one on your console memory, and you must have copied GodMode9 to your console memory as well. Make sure to follow the finalizing-setup page so that you put updated versions on your console memory, otherwise if you try to boot up without an SD card (or the reader in your console breaks) after updating B9S, it won't work.

Shady_Enigmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Is updating the console memory a pretty straight forward process? I would hate to have gotten this far only to brick it trying to move a couple of files over.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I see. Is updating the console memory a pretty straight forward process? I would hate to have gotten this far only to brick it trying to move a couple of files over.
Yes it is very straight forward, it is section VI - ctrnand Luma from https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

Judging from what happened to you I believe you have followed it before.

Shady_Enigmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably so. I installed cfw on it years ago (I have the original, old 3ds if that's any indication) and have only recently picked it back up and started playing it again. Thanks for everything Quantum

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol