Hacking Question Can’t start any NSP! Help!

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even with the newest sigpatches:
The Homebrew menu NSP doesn't launch „Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again.“
My legit BOTW catrige doesn't launch „Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again.“
My legit bought eshop copy of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't launch „Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again.“

Nothing pirated... How to you explain this, smartass?
Because you used sigpatches, had you never used sigpatches your legit purchases would have worked. However, you added sigpatches, in this case the wrong ones, so none of your sig checks worked with the cfw you were running resulting in errors. This is your error, hence why the vast majority of people who upgraded to 9.1.0 had no issue, if it was an Atmos error with 9.1.0 everyone would also have the same issue. They don't.

Basically the sigpatches are different depending if you run fusee or hekate and the cfw you are running, make sure you get the correct up to date ones next time and you won't have an issue, like everyone else.

GerBrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because you used sigpatches, had you never used sigpatches your legit purchases would have worked. However, you added sigpatches, in this case the wrong ones, so none of your sig checks worked with the cfw you were running resulting in errors. This is your error, hence why the vast majority of people who upgraded to 9.1.0 had no issue, if it was an Atmos error with 9.1.0 everyone would also have the same issue. They don't.

Basically the sigpatches are different depending if you run fusee or hekate and the cfw you are running, make sure you get the correct up to date ones next time and you won't have an issue, like everyone else.

I tried to run it with Fussee-Primary and with the Atmosphere patches.
And I Tried the same thing with Hekate Ctcaer 5.1.1 and with Kosmos patches.

Same result, same error.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi Op can you factory reset?.

I don’t know, can I?
Can anything go wrong?
what are my disadvantages if I do so?
I have already saved my savestates with checkpoint before, the files are on my pc.

Is there something I should know before doing this?

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Same result, same error.

I don’t know, can I?
Can anything go wrong?
I have already saved my savestates with checkpoint before, the files are on my pc.

I was replying to the other guy, your issue is slightly different.

The problem you have is that the file structure changed between Atmos versions, so just dropping the entire SD copy on the card with an updated Atmos, combined with wrong sigpatches resulted in your fw thinking your files were corrupt and throwing out an error. Once that happens you don't really have any choice but to delete and reinstall with the correct patches.

Best thing you can do is just start from scratch with latest hekate, atmos and the sigpatches linked here earlier on a formatted SD. If you've swapped from fusee to hekate which I suspect you might have you will either need to revert to booting with fusee and hope that works or delete all the 'corrupted' files and reinstall.

This is my best guess anyway, it's tricky without the exact error message you are getting but I suspect you are getting a corruption error, I also suspect that because you have previously installed the exFat driver, then reformatted in fat32, then dropped the old SDcard files on the Switch is now thinking your entire SD is new and needs to be formatted again to that Switch but I could very well be wrong

Last edited by Risingdawn,

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Backup of my old MicroSD Card but I got a lot of complications with it, so I deleted everything on it and formatted my MicroSD Card new from ExFat to FAT32 because everyone recommended it and putted fresh new Files from SDSetup.com on a fresh new formatted MicroSD Card.

If I go to Nintendo/Contents I see 2 Folders „placehld” and „registered“ and Additional 2 Files „private“ and „privat1”.
„placehld” is completely empty and the folder „registered“ has 4 folders: 0000003E, 0000005C, 00000037, 00000068.
All of them are empty inside.
I have two options to check the Archive Box.
SD: If I select „placehld” and „registered“ and open properties there both unchecked on Archive.
PC: If I copy „placehld” and „registered“ from my MicroSD to my PC, so I get the option to go to the advanced section and I can check from there the Archive box.
Either way the same Error occurs if I start the console in CFW.

I'm not a native English speaker so my console error message isn’t in English as well, but I tried to translate it.

„The data on this microSD card is incorrect and cannot be used.

The incorrect data will be deleted.

The console will then restart. (Paused software will be closed.) Saved data, screenshots, videos and other data that is not Nintendo Switch data will be deleted. Remove the microSD card if you don't want to use it with this console.“

Followed with a button that says „Delete“.

I can either delete and the console restarts with unchecked Folders or I can take out the SD card which solves nothing.
If the folders inside Nintendo/Contents/registered are empty then anything you had installed to the SD (Homebrew NSP, digital games, game card updates) is gone. This is why you're getting an error trying to launch those titles. You'll need to reinstall any NSPs and updates. Your registered folder should look like this:
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 9.10.06 PM.png

Since they're empty you need to replace the files before your games and stuff will launch.

PS. If you're using emuMMC your folder will likely be somewhere else, such as /emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo/Contents/registered

GerBrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was replying to the other guy, your issue is slightly different.

The problem you have is that the file structure changed between Atmos versions, so just dropping the entire SD copy on the card with an updated Atmos, combined with wrong sigpatches resulted in your fw thinking your files were corrupt and throwing out an error. Once that happens you don't really have any choice but to delete and reinstall with the correct patches.

Best thing you can do is just start from scratch with latest hekate, atmos and the sigpatches linked here earlier on a formatted SD. If you've swapped from fusee to hekate which I suspect you might have you will either need to revert to booting with fusee and hope that works or delete all the 'corrupted' files and reinstall.

This is my best guess anyway, it's tricky without the exact error message you are getting but I suspect you are getting a corruption error, I also suspect that because you have previously installed the exFat driver, then reformatted in fat32, then dropped the old SDcard files on the Switch is now thinking your entire SD is new and needs to be formatted again to that Switch but I could very well be wrong

Quick Recap:

I wanted to update my NS FW from 8.1.0 to 9.1.0. I got a bit of complications with it, so I deleted everything on my MicroSD Card and Formatted it from ExFAT to FAT32 while I’m at it. I Updated to 9.1.0 and now I’m here with my problem.

I used SDSetup.com and started from scratch on an again new formatted MicroSD Card. I can open the Homebrew Menu and in fact install the Homebrew Menu NSP but that’s it. If I install a Game NSP and i want to start it I get „Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again.“. I just don’t understand it.

It’s a fresh new Formatted FAT32 MicroSD Card with Fresh New Files from SDSetup.com included Sigpatches. I can’t explain to myself what I’m missing.

If the folders inside Nintendo/Contents/registered are empty then anything you had installed to the SD (Homebrew NSP, digital games, game card updates) is gone. This is why you're getting an error trying to launch those titles. You'll need to reinstall any NSPs and updates. Your registered folder should look like this:
View attachment 196650

Since they're empty you need to replace the files before your games and stuff will launch.

PS. If you're using emuMMC your folder will likely be somewhere else, such as /emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo/Contents/registered

Of course it’s gone. I deleted it. I have the MicroSD Card backup with all the games on my PC, I just don’t use it. I want to use a fresh new Formatted FAT32 MicroSD Card because I thought that increases my chances to work. The problem is if I want to install a new Game NSP I get: „Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again.“

P.S Its not completely empty there are like 8 Folders but not a single game because I wanted to make it with fresh new SD Files because I thought that would help me solve this issue.

issayloki

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Same result, same error.

I don’t know, can I?
Can anything go wrong?

Hi Op I just thinking of something maasing up while you use choiNx for update to 9.1. Hence that why I did ask you to re update again like official one or factory reset. Since you backup save file with check point then nothing else to backup. It just my opinion, Why becouse I just did on what you did with choiNx.
But my case noting go wrong, Since you did try new Sd card with ONLY file from sdsetup then nothing to do with sig patch now.

Op one thing I want to ask you. When you used ChoiNx on the last page before you start update have you match system fat32 or Exfat with noew 9.1 firmware?. I mean if you see your old firmware us on exfat then your 9.1 firmware you should choose exfat as well. I donno it related or not but I did match the firmware for my case is 8.1 on exfat so I choose to make exfat for 9.1.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick Recap:

I wanted to update my NS FW from 8.1.0 to 9.1.0. I got a bit of complications with it, so I deleted everything on my MicroSD Card and Formatted it from ExFAT to FAT32 while I’m at it. I Updated to 9.1.0 and now I’m here with my problem.

I used SDSetup.com and started from scratch on an again new formatted MicroSD Card. I can open the Homebrew Menu and in fact install the Homebrew Menu NSP but that’s it. If I install a Game NSP and i want to start it I get „Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again.“. I just don’t understand it.

It’s a fresh new Formatted FAT32 MicroSD Card with Fresh New Files from SDSetup.com included Sigpatches. I can’t explain to myself what I’m missing.

Of course it’s gone. I deleted it. I have the MicroSD Card backup with all the games on my PC, I just don’t use it. I want to use a fresh new Formatted FAT32 MicroSD Card because I thought that increases my chances to work. The problem is if I want to install a new Game NSP I get: „Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again.“

P.S Its not completely empty there are like 8 Folders but not a single game because I wanted to make it with fresh new SD Files because I thought that would help me solve this issue.
What are you trying to open when you get the error? Since you removed all the titles from your SD you won't be able to launch anything from the home screen. You'll need to launch homebrew from the album applet and install stuff that way.

GerBrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi Op I just thinking of something maasing up while you use choiNx for update to 9.1. Hence that why I did ask you to re update again like official one or factory reset. Since you backup save file with check point then nothing else to backup. It just my opinion, Why becouse I just did on what you did with choiNx.
But my case noting go wrong, Since you did try new Sd card with ONLY file from sdsetup then nothing to do with sig patch now.

Op one thing I want to ask you. When you used ChoiNx on the last page before you start update have you match system fat32 or Exfat with noew 9.1 firmware?. I mean if you see your old firmware us on exfat then your 9.1 firmware you should choose exfat as well. I donno it related or not but I did match the firmware for my case is 8.1 on exfat so I choose to make exfat for 9.1.

Actually yes. Last time I updated to 8.1.0 (ExFAT) because I used at that time ExFAT and this time I updated from 8.1.0(ExFAT) to 9.1.0 (No ExFAT) because I did the update with a FAT32 Formatted MicroSD.

I thought why should I update to 9.1.0 (ExFAT) if I’m not even using ExFat.

Is it that obvious that we can assume that this is definitely the reason why Installing NSPs doesn’t work or is it a chance, and we don’t know it?

I have actually a MicroSD Card and a NAND Backup because last time I Updated to 8.1.0 (ExFAT) I got a lot of problems with it, so I took a backup just in case. I backed up everything right before I Updated to 9.1.0.

Should I load the backup?

My NAND Backup is 30 GB Big so that’s not the problem.
The Problem is my MicroSD Card Backup is 81 GB big.
Loading that on my MicroSD Card would take me 12 Hours. What if it doesn’t work and I spend 12 Hours waiting for nothing.

Can I just copy everything else except the Nintendo/Contents/registered Files?

I know that when I do this there are no more games on it but I can install a 150 MB Game NSP to Test it if it works and if so copy the rest later.

Would that work or do I really need all Nintendo/Contents/registered Files?

What are you trying to open when you get the error? Since you removed all the titles from your SD you won't be able to launch anything from the home screen. You'll need to launch homebrew from the album applet and install stuff that way.

My Home Menu is Empty.

I go to Photos and open from there the Homebrew Menu. From there I go and open Goldleaf and install The Homebrew Menu NSP and a Game NSP.
If I go now on my homescreen there are two icons. The first is the Homebrew Menu.

I can now start the Homebrew menu without Applet Mode, no problem.

The other icon is my new Installed Game NSP.
If I want to start it and select my User the game instantly crashes and I get a: „Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again.“ Error Message. If I go to settings and search for corrupted data on this game they find some.

issayloki

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Hi Op I also got exfat on my system but my sd card is fat32. But you did try out everything you could and it still can't load game, perhap old ticket still on the console?. If it my console I would factory reset and if I can I will do update again on my console. Hope this will fix ot for you

GerBrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi Op I also got exfat on my system but my sd card is fat32. But you did try out everything you could and it still can't load game, perhap old ticket still on the console?. If it my console I would factory reset and if I can I will do update again on my console. Hope this will fix ot for you

Couldn’t that be gone wrong because after a factory reset I don’t have an official Firmware from Nintendo on it and maybe the firmware is the problem?

I think I try it out restore my NAND Backup and progress from there because back then my console worked.

I don’t know what will happen if I factory reset my console on and maybe broken firmware.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually yes. Last time I updated to 8.1.0 (ExFAT) because I used at that time ExFAT and this time I updated from 8.1.0(ExFAT) to 9.1.0 (No ExFAT) because I did the update with a FAT32 Formatted MicroSD.

I thought why should I update to 9.1.0 (ExFAT) if I’m not even using ExFat.

Is it that obvious that we can assume that this is definitely the reason why Installing NSPs doesn’t work or is it a chance, and we don’t know it?

I have actually a MicroSD Card and a NAND Backup because last time I Updated to 8.1.0 (ExFAT) I got a lot of problems with it, so I took a backup just in case. I backed up everything right before I Updated to 9.1.0.

Should I load the backup?

My NAND Backup is 30 GB Big so that’s not the problem.
The Problem is my MicroSD Card Backup is 81 GB big.
Loading that on my MicroSD Card would take me 12 Hours. What if it doesn’t work and I spend 12 Hours waiting for nothing.

Can I just copy everything else except the Nintendo/Contents/registered Files?

I know that when I do this there are no more games on it but I can install a 150 MB Game NSP to Test it if it works and if so copy the rest later.

Would that work or do I really need all Nintendo/Contents/registered Files?

My Home Menu is Empty.

I go to Photos and open from there the Homebrew Menu. From there I go and open Goldleaf and install The Homebrew Menu NSP and a Game NSP.
If I go now on my homescreen there are two icons. The first is the Homebrew Menu.

I can now start the Homebrew menu without Applet Mode, no problem.

The other icon is my new Installed Game NSP.
If I want to start it and select my User the game instantly crashes and I get a: „Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again.“ Error Message. If I go to settings and search for corrupted data on this game they find some.
How are you booting cfw? Fusee or Hekate?

issayloki

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Couldn’t that be gone wrong because after a factory reset I don’t have an official Firmware from Nintendo on it and maybe the firmware is the problem?

I think I try it out restore my NAND Backup and progress from there because back then my console worked.

I don’t know what will happen if I factory reset my console on and maybe broken firmware.
Hi Op
If you want to try to restore backup it your call, but downgrade your system is very not recommand at all. Please be so sure before you downgrade that you know how to fix issue that may endup with stuck on nintendo logo like many another in here. Please update how you go. Still I recommand factory reset before downgrade.

GerBrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My only advice to you is to start again completely from scratch, format your card, use this guide to the letter:
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
Then use the most recent Kosmos+bootconfig patches:
https://github.com/Joonie86/hekate/releases
and if you do that it will work.

Sixth time's a charm ...

Alright I do it one more time but if this doesn’t solve it I’m gonna restore my NAND Backup and hope nothing goes wrong and I don’t brick my console doing this.

I keep you posted.

Hi Op
If you want to try to restore backup it your call, but downgrade your system is very not recommand at all. Please be so sure before you downgrade that you know how to fix issue that may endup with stuck on nintendo logo like many another in here. Please update how you go. Still I recommand factory reset before downgrade.

I don’t just downgrade my console I restore an 5 Days Old 8.1.0 NAND backup.

Isn’t this the purpose of an NAND Backup?
Restore if something goes completely wrong?

I really don’t know what’s better: Factory reset on an maybe broken Firmware or Restore my Old Firmware NAND Backup and risk a brick.

However I’m going to try Risingdawns Advice and his links and hopefully this solves everything.

If that doesn’t work Plan Z ...

issayloki

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Sixth time's a charm ...

Alright I do it one more time but if this doesn’t solve it I’m gonna restore my NAND Backup and hope nothing goes wrong and I don’t brick my console doing this.

I keep you posted.

I really don’t know what’s better: Factory reset on an maybe broken Firmware or Restore my Old Firmware NAND Backup and risk a brick.

However I’m going to try Risingdawns Advice and his links and hopefully this solves everything.

Op you said that you did upgrade system to 9.1?, then you want to restore your backup which is 8.1 , firmware then you actually downgrade your system.
Perhap I would re update 9.1 from official to make sure that system upadte is free from issue or use chioNX again. As we know nothing to do with Sd card or file from sdsetup, it something else OP

Last edited by issayloki,

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sixth time's a charm ...

I keep you posted.

There is literally no reason to either factory reset or NAND restore, the problem is not your Switch it's your SD card, or rather the files on it. I really hope you get it this time because the NAND restore has way more chance of going wrong.

It is literally a case of the wrong patches with the wrong bootloader, chances are high that you are booting with fusee and thinking you are booting with Hekate and have the wrong patches on, or you have old files on the SD card causing conflicts, or you've not replaced bootconfig, something along those lines.

Starting fresh should fix it, trust me. I changed from fusee to Hekate and had this exact problem. All I did was delete the corrupt data, drop on the Hekate patches and reinstalled the Nsp's, job done.

Last edited by Risingdawn,

GerBrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My only advice to you is to start again completely from scratch, format your card, use this guide to the letter:
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
Then use the most recent Kosmos+bootconfig patches:
https://github.com/Joonie86/hekate/releases
and if you do that it will work.

I did it exactly like in the Guide you send me. It took me over 2 1/2 Hours because I double checked everything at any step 4 times.

Step by step and in the end I copied and pasted the content from the „Kosmos_patches_12_08_2019_bootconfig.zip“ to my SD Root and used „Hekate_cctaer_5.1.1.bin“ to launch my CFW.

I even used other Game NSPs because I thought maybe it’s just the NSP but nope.
None NSP (Except the Homebrew Menu NSP) Works.

I need someone to send me Working SD Files where everything is settled and everything is done and all I have to do is copy and paste the files to my MicroSD and Copy and Paste my Game NSP from my PC the MicroSD.

Other than that there is no other choice than Factory Reset or use my NAND Backup. Both can go wrong but there are no other options.

Op you said that you did upgrade system to 9.1?, then you want to restore your backup which is 8.1 , firmware then you actually downgrade your system.
Perhap I would re update 9.1 from official to make sure that system upadte is free from issue or use chioNX again. As we know nothing to do with Sd card or file from sdsetup, it something else OP

How could I Update to 9.1.0 if I’m already 9.1.0. I don’t think that that’s how it works and I don’t want to risk getting banned. My Console was never Online since I got Homebrew and i have faith that i can do it somehow without getting Online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol