OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My friend has been having an issue with a certain game on his DSTWO. He's been trying to play Yu-gi-oh 2011: Over the Nexus (J) on his DSi, but whenever he goes to select the game, nothing happens at all. No error messages, just nothing happens. He's tried both clean and patched ROMs and I believe he can't even attempt to switch the modes for the game.

His firmware for the DSTWO is mostly up to date, I believe. He's even used the same ROM that I was using on my Acekard without any issues. Every other game he has played has worked perfectly. (Including recent games like Pokemon White)

Anyone have any idea what could be the issue?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you sure he has EOS 1.11? make sure he is, and why wouldn't be be able to switch modes? you do that before even entering the game, just press X (or is it Y?) and then try it in clean mode

also, never use patched ROMs on the dstwo, always clean/proper roms

Discord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure exactly, I'll ask him later. And apparently it just doesn't let him select anything from the game to change modes.

And yes, we tested with a clean ROM first, I only sent him my patched ROM afterward. We know to use clean ROMs on it.

I'll force him to check his stuff in a bit.

Net_Bastard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
you sure he has EOS 1.11? make sure he is, and why wouldn't be be able to switch modes? you do that before even entering the game, just press X (or is it Y?) and then try it in clean mode

also, never use patched ROMs on the dstwo, always clean/proper roms

I have a few patched roms on my DSTWO and they work fine.

Discord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
He is running the latest firmware, I even made him check it, and he is using a brand new clean ROM. However it does nothing no matter what button he presses.

Discord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So it's been a while, but we finally got around to trying more of it.

-He's using the latest Supercard firmware
-He's just made a backup and reformatted his SD card
-He's using a fresh UNPATCHED ROM (Yu-Gi-Oh_5Ds_World_Championship_2011_Over_the_Nexus_JAP_NDS-iND )

It still doesn't work. He can't select it to play by pressing A, he can't change the AP mode by pressing Y, it's recognized by the Supercard, but it might as well not even be there.

We're pretty much stumped at this point.

Edit: It's a DSi.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I've just downloaded a copy of that game - tried it out on my DSTwo and.....
... it works (bloody long intro by the looks of it)

Tried it out using DSTwo with latest EOS, on a 1.4.2E DSi, using a Sandisk 8Gb class 2 MSD
The only thing I did was change the numbers to letters ('zero' to an 'O' etc) in the game's name

BTW My game name was 'Yu-6i-0h 5D'5 W0rld Ch4mpi0n5hip 2011 0v3r 7h3 N3xu5 (J).nd5' there's no 'NDS-iND' in the title unlike in your copy

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
I've played that game before on my SCDS2 with no issues so I'm leaning towards user error of some form.

Did he use Panasonic SD formatter when he formatted his card?

Has he tried his card with just the latest EOS and just the Yu-Gi-Oh Game?

Discord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, thanks for the confirmations that the game should work on it.

We just reformatted it again using the Panasonic tool, and the result was the same. We haven't attempted to run it without anything else on the card, it seems kind of pointless since he plays many other games as well. Every other game he's ever tried is working fine.

Could there be some kind of setting in the card/DSi that would be preventing him from playing a Japanese version of a game? (I'm thinking no, but I'm not familiar with the stuff myself, since I use an Acekard on a DS Lite.)

We've been hoping that he could use the E or U version of the game, but the scene doesn't seem to like Yu-gi-oh games, so getting those might take a while.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Discord said:

-He's using a fresh UNPATCHED ROM (Yu-Gi-Oh_5Ds_World_Championship_2011_Over_the_Nexus_JAP_NDS-iND )

It still doesn't work. He can't select it to play by pressing A, he can't change the AP mode by pressing Y, it's recognized by the Supercard, but it might as well not even be there.

to get the pop up menu you press X, not Y

when you say he can't select it do you mean that it doesn't load? does it act as if you never even touched it? or does it freeze once you press it?

Discord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Terminator02 said:
Discord said:

to get the pop up menu you press X, not Y

when you say he can't select it do you mean that it doesn't load? does it act as if you never even touched it? or does it freeze once you press it?

(I don't know about the buttons, I haven't touched his card.)

Just nothing happens, there's no errors, no freezing, no reaction at all. The game might as well be nothing at all. He can spam A on it and nothing happens, he can just move to another game and start it.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's incredibly bizarre
blink.gif

Discord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
His Supercard also doesn't seem to be working in his DS Lite either. Even with a strong blow and paper trick to ensure the connection was secure, it's not being recognized. He's starting to tihnk that it might be a hardware issue.

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Discord said:
Well, thanks for the confirmations that the game should work on it.

We just reformatted it again using the Panasonic tool, and the result was the same. We haven't attempted to run it without anything else on the card, it seems kind of pointless since he plays many other games as well. Every other game he's ever tried is working fine.

Could there be some kind of setting in the card/DSi that would be preventing him from playing a Japanese version of a game? (I'm thinking no, but I'm not familiar with the stuff myself, since I use an Acekard on a DS Lite.)

We've been hoping that he could use the E or U version of the game, but the scene doesn't seem to like Yu-gi-oh games, so getting those might take a while.
I was thinking he should try with nothing else on just in case it is a case that either the sd card is nearly full or he has too many games in one folder. I don't suppose he has another sd card to test has he?

Topaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm his friend in question, I figured I should quit being lazy.

CannonFoddr said:
Very weird indeed.
Sounds like the ds2 see a game is there but can't run it for some reason

Is it even making a sav file ?
what size is the nds file ? (should be 8mb)
has he got enough free space on the card ?
It doesn't make a SAV file due to the fact that I can't run it, thus it won't bother making one yet.
nds file is 256mb, which is a fairly common size. Why would it be 8?
Yeah I have enough space, considering I got it on there in the first place.

Buleste said:
QUOTE(Discord @ May 20 2011, 11:22 PM) Well, thanks for the confirmations that the game should work on it.

I was thinking he should try with nothing else on just in case it is a case that either the sd card is nearly full or he has too many games in one folder. I don't suppose he has another sd card to test has he?
I do have another SD card, and I think I'll try it tomorrow considering it's rather full of stuff so I'll need to back it all up. Honestly though considering all the problems my DS2 has given me, I've got no hope lol.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Opps sorry - my mistake - you're right that it's not 8Mb (I was trying to work from memory AFK & I was sure there was an '8' in it somewhere, but also at the time I was helping some1 else out with 'Bookworm.nds' & THAT game IS 8Mb) - but now that I'm back @ computer....according to my version of the game it's 128Mb

5742485039_b6e7cbf65b_b.jpg
(H: drive is my memory card reader)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay