GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a few weeks since I've done a scan, and last night when I went to plug my 360 controller into one of my front USB ports, my computer restarted on its own. When it came back up, it said Windows had restored from a serious error. I tried to run Scandisk at this point (using the method I always have in the past -- selecting Properties on the drive, Tools, Scandisk, and checking both options), but it said it couldn't run Scandisk. I'm not sure if the reason is related to the "serious error" that occurred, but I sure don't want to lose my ability to do periodical scans. I scanned for viruses/malware last night, using both McAfee and Malwarebytes, but neither program detected anything. Not sure how to proceed at this point.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Try using:

START > Run > "cmd"

A command prompt will open. Write "chkdsk" in there, press enter and see what happens
tongue.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, man. I'm guessing it just ran the scan through the command window. It said it found problems with the file system; run CHKDSK with the /F option to correct these. What does that entail exactly?
unsure.gif

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you still have your Windows XP installation disc, you can use the recovery console that comes loaded on the CD to run ChkDsk, Scandisk, or whatever the hell you can do with RC

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My computer didn't come with a Windows disk. The deal with that was they allow you to make one copy of everything, which at the time I had to back-up onto something like 15 CDs because the computer came stock with just a CDR -- no DVDR. I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as utilizing what's there. I was able to scan, and though I also was able to use CHKDSK in /F, when I restarted my computer, it didn't seem to run Scandisk.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
irpacynot said:
Thanks, man. I'm guessing it just ran the scan through the command window. It said it found problems with the file system; run CHKDSK with the /F option to correct these. What does that entail exactly?
unsure.gif
Do the same procedure, except this time write

chkdsk /F

and press Enter. It'll probably say that the drive is busy or something. Type "Y" and press enter. It'll ask you to reboot, do it and it should run on the next startup
smile.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Do the same procedure, except this time write

chkdsk /F

and press Enter. It'll probably say that the drive is busy or something. Type "Y" and press enter. It'll ask you to reboot, do it and it should run on the next startup
smile.gif

Yeah, I tried it twice already, actually, and no luck. I even tried typing it as "chkdsk c: /f/r" but it still just boots Windows right back up without a scan or disk repair.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk