Can't maintain internet connection

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by luckwii, Nov 5, 2010.

1. luckwii
    OP

luckwii GBAtemp Fan

Apr 30, 2010
    United States
    I have a Gateway laptop. It is connected via ethernet cable/modem. I am also running Windows 7. For some reason, when I leave my laptop on over night, it drops the internet connection. I don't know what causes it. It is frustrating because it is trying to create a new network connection that does not work. So, I have to disable, and delete the new network (which is called NETWORK by default). Then re-enable my old working network connection. This fixes it every time, but is very lame to have to do. How can I fix this?

2. Strider

Strider Next to the mainstream

Oct 29, 2002
    I suppose you ISP is dropping you at some point. I recommend you look into that first.

3. luckwii
    OP

luckwii GBAtemp Fan

Apr 30, 2010
    United States
    Could it be for too much bandwidth usage?

4. Strider

Strider Next to the mainstream

Oct 29, 2002
    Maybe; but what I was referring to is that ISPs (at least here) disconnect everyone at 12 or 24 hours being connected, thats a normal behaviour.

Having a router in between will not only improve your security but also remove this issue if you are directly connected (which would be very bad).