Can't load up HBL off 64GB SD Card

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Dvdxploitr, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Dvdxploitr
    OP

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    I got wiiu folder with apps folder inside that...try to boot up HBL and just says "SD mount failed"....it works fine with my 32GB card but I have my 3DS stuff on that and since the power cable on my Windows machine decided to stop working...I can't use the 32GB card....all I have to use is my Mac....the 64GB card has a 22GB FAT32 partition on as the first partition

2. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    That's probably why it's confused, try using guiformat to format to FAT32, and go into Mii Maker and save a QR code to it, for some reason that seems to fix it in most cases

3. Dvdxploitr
    OP

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    is it really necessary to partition? I'm using my 32GB card since I cloned it with Carbon Copy Cloner....there is no option for "unallocated space" on Mac....
    I forgot to mention in my post that I am using an 8GB Wii U, so I know 32GB will work for that...

4. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    I dunno how robust the Wii U's mounting is for multiple partitions which is why I say, the formatter will wipe it and make it all one partition, but since you're using Mac I dunno what alternative formatters there are, hm

5. Dvdxploitr
    OP

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    Well, i tried with and without partition....I don't know why it won't work with my 64GB card but works fine with my 32GB card.....GuiFormat is a Windows program.....if my Windows laptop worked, I could try it there...but the power brick just stopped working the other day...

6. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    Adelaide, South Australia
    You said you used a Mac, yes? If so, your problem might be that Disk Utility re-formatted your SD Card to become GPT instead of MBR.

If you're using macOS Sierra, I can confirm that Disk Utility allows you to format as MBR (Master Boot Record) instead of forcing everything you try to partition/format to GPT (GUID (Genetically Unique Identifier) Partition Table).

7. Dvdxploitr
    OP

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    Okay, so if i format my card to MBR it'll be fixed?

8. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    It should yeah.

9. Dvdxploitr
    OP

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    do I need to partition the card? Will it still be readable in the computer once its got RedNAND on it so I can copy files to it for a USB install?

10. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    No you should not partition the card and yes you can still copy files to it after setting up rednand.