Homebrew Can't get DSLinux to work on DS lite

RodrigoDavy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For some reason when I try to load DSLinux it freezes the DS lite with two white screens. I'm using an AK2i in 4.2 firmware and a 3in1 expasion slot. I have the linux folder, DSlinux.nds and DSLinuxm.nds on the root directory. Anyone knows what might be the problem?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two white screens? You've got the file structure setup correctly as far as I can tell, but somehow the dslinux.nds file is not booting correctly. Have you tried launching it through Moonshell or HBMenu rather than the AK2i launcher? I know the slot-1 Supercards had trouble launching DSLinux, but don't know if it's the same way on the AK2i.

Wait... !@#$, I don't remember if the new 3in1s are supported by DSLinux or not, because they changed their RAM access somehow. I'd suggest trying the plain WMB "dslinux.nds" version first to see if it's a problem launching DSLinux itself or if it's a problem with your slot-2 RAM.

Always fun trying to get old homebrew programs to run on new homebrew hardware, right? :P

Reactions: 1 person

RodrigoDavy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Two white screens? You've got the file structure setup correctly as far as I can tell, but somehow the dslinux.nds file is not booting correctly. Have you tried launching it through Moonshell or HBMenu rather than the AK2i launcher? I know the slot-1 Supercards had trouble launching DSLinux, but don't know if it's the same way on the AK2i. Just tried that, didn't work...

Wait... !@#$, I don't remember if the new 3in1s are supported by DSLinux or not, because they changed their RAM access somehow. I'd suggest trying the plain WMB "dslinux.nds" version first to see if it's a problem launching DSLinux itself or if it's a problem with your slot-2 RAM. Tried that, same white screen problems

Always fun trying to get old homebrew programs to run on new homebrew hardware, right? :P Sure is ^^ So much for being a linux enthusiast

RodrigoDavy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Tested it with R4i gold plus and it just freezes at the menu when trying to run DSLinux. Also tested the Ak2i with different sd cards, same white screen problem

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be honest with you man, I have no idea what's wrong here. DSLinux always did build with weird cross-compilation techniques and had booting issues even when other homebrew didn't. All I can suggest is to keep trying other ways of loading the .nds file.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet, glad it worked! Let me see if I can dig out a few of my utilities I've got stored away here... (also protip: the /media/ directory refers to the root of your device; hopefully tab completion works for you and doesn't crash the system like it sometimes does for me, hehe)

Here's what I've got that may improve your DSLinux experience.
Consolechars, a program to change the console font to make it larger, comes with a few fonts: https://dl.dropbox.c...sforDSLinux.zip
GLINKS, a simple script that launches the Links browser in graphics mode with some recommended settings, so you don't have to type a bunch of stuff every time: https://dl.dropbox.c...GBAandDS/GLINKS
wifi, a rather large script that was very useful in my experience, for connecting to Wifi. Mostly outdated now that DSLinux has its own (better) wifi handling suite, but I still like it: https://dl.dropbox.c...0/GBAandDS/wifi

If you're interested, I've also got the DSLinux port of dlditool for patching programs with DLDI files on the DS itself (useful before auto-DLDI-patching was commonplace) and a port of SBAGen, the binaural (sp?) beat maker program. Thought I had an image viewer program here too but I don't remember the name. EDIT: found it, FBview for FrameBufferView2 - https://dl.dropbox.c...BAandDS/fbview2

EDIT: Also be sure to read the basic documentation to get a feel for what the different DS buttons do, and how to open up another shell (DSLinux allows 3 concurrent shell sessions so you can do basic multitasking, like playing an MP3 file from your SD card while browsing the web with Retawq or Links)

For a laugh, launch the Nano-X GUI and try using its painfully slow web browser. It works, but man you can tell it's struggling.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The graphical mode of Links was never all that good, to be honest. Like you said, the font gets really screwed up, and some graphics don't load. Try my GLINKS script above which may help a little versus just "links -g" but I wouldn't expect too much.

robgraves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this exact same issue, when i try to load the DSLinux.nds, I just get 2 white screens, I'm using a SuperCard DStwo, has anyone successfully had this run on this card?

EDIT: Oh yeah, also I'm running this on a DSi with 1.44 firmware, and 1.18 firmware for Supercard DStwo and EOS 1.11

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have this exact same issue, when i try to load the DSLinux.nds, I just get 2 white screens, I'm using a SuperCard DStwo, has anyone successfully had this run on this card?

EDIT: Oh yeah, also I'm running this on a DSi with 1.44 firmware, and 1.18 firmware for Supercard DStwo and EOS 1.11
This is a wild stab, but I vaguely remember there being a plugin for the DS Two which made it emulate an R4 hardware wise. You could try loading DS Linux via that plugin, see if that works. (I don't know if the original R4 worked well with DSLinux or not, but if so, then this may make it work better than running it normally)

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
(I don't know if the original R4 worked well with DSLinux or not, but if so, then this may make it work better than running it normally)
It worked as far as I know, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up. Everything I did, even if I was following a tutorial, didn't work.

It at least boots and doesn't freeze, though, so there's something.

Yeniaul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. I'm on an R4i SDHC 2015 from here: r4isdhc.com
I've tried plain, HBMenu and MoonShell booting. Nothing. I've tried the single-file method too, nothing. Does it need to be a particular file system (NTFS, FAT32, etc.)?

Reactions: DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it definitely needs to be some form of FAT and not NTFS, probably FAT32 if I had to guess. It tended to work best with cards 2GB or less in size, perhaps you could grab a cheap low-capacity card off Amazon (I got a few 1 GB microSD cards from some random website for a couple dollars apiece). DLDI support was kinda patched into DSLinux after-the-fact, unlike most other DS homebrew.

I hope you manage to get this up and running! If you do, please let us know how you did it!

Yeniaul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a 1GB formatted FAT32. I've tried more than 10 loading methods, nothing. I've added "compatibility patches". I've tried DSiWare exploits. I've even bought a new card and soldered on a memory dump expansion. I've done everything possible, but nothing. Nothing but two white screens. I ruled out my card with the DSiWare exploits, but it works on my friend's 3DS, so there should be no problem with a DS Lite or DSi.

Yeniaul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is just unfair. It works on everything EXCEPT my DSi or DSi XL. Dammit, I hate it when that happens... XD (This has happened with nesDS, lolSNES, jenesisDS, etc.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1