Can't find US piracy laws

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways, I have NO idea where this would go so I made this here, I feel I can't go wrong with off-topic. I just need some simple help, can someone find me the US anti piracy laws? Ive been around Google and can only find pictures of pirates and stories about people who got in trouble. Ive read something about a year ago saying that local service providers will shut down your internet connection for torrenting files until you visit court and pay off the fee you later get in the mail. I want to read the US piracy laws to see how far this thing goes, like... Is it only music and movies? Or everything!? I miss my shows and can't download the episodes anymore, or test games... And I do mean test, stolen games usually have no online play. Thanks for reading.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are two sides to the law
1) Legislation- this can be subdivided in the US into local level, state level and Federal level and it can be split/subdivided or categorised many more times but let us not confuse things right now. Similarly copyright theft (the usual choice term/offence) is usually deemed a civil offence unless you are a warez group, site owner or big uploader which changes things again (court appointed lawyers do not exist for these cases).

2) Case law- legislation is just paper until someone (a judge usually) decides what is means/what falls within the scope of the legislation (and more importantly is not overruled but other laws, the constitution and so on).

You then have the issue of how good the involved lawyers are (nobody truly knows how many laws there are and how they sit together as well what kind of show they put on) and the evidence used (usually pitiful but most lawyers and the like that play in these circles are terrified of technology so the decision often rests with the most convincing case).

All this means there are no one set of laws/pieces of paper that deal with it all and even then a good lawyer can argue many more things on top of this.

As far as I am aware suspended internet type arrangements did not happen (various bills and lobby groups tried to make it happen but it largely got stuck down) and even if you do use something as unsafe as torrents or standard p2p chances of being hit are minimal, use something good like usenet or a filelocker and well your case would probably be the first.

"only music and movies"- they might have been the main funders of such things but those lower down the line will usually jump on it (copyright applies to a "work" after all and that can include things beyond music and films)

Still if you truly want to read up http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/usc..._sup_01_17.html

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If laws were simple, we wouldn't need lawyers.

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

That site is a multi business forum community where you can likely get the largest sum of reliable information on what you can and can not do on the internet either effectively, or legally.

Asking a question there will lead to a lot of very good opinions that likely will go further to give you any real useful input on anything.

Remember, just because it is a law, doesn't mean it makes any sense or that any one cares.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, that's all the information I need. Thanks for the replies, especially you FAST6191 for the very informative source and post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD