Can't disable cheat

CommanderCool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I used a cheat in Etrian Odyssey IV to get myself a few more levels so that I wouldn't have to grind through the level loss from resting my characters. However, whenever I boot up the game now, my characters always cap out at level 70 even after 1 battle. I'm wondering if there's a way to disable the cheat and restore my save file properly, or if I'm screwed outright.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That will depend upon the cheat and how it is done.

Many level cheats will simply bump experience up to whatever. Not all games will check experience at all points though -- sometimes it is after legit gain, sometimes it is end of battle, sometimes it is after level up has passed, sometimes something else entirely/multiple avenues with you seemingly having either legit gain or end of battle for this one.
Disabling the basic giz max exp will still leave you with the max experience even if the save is restored to a virgin cart and an unmodified setup.
That is also just one scenario -- max exp is one thing, it might be enemies changed (though this is more for savestate approaches), if there is a multiplier (welcome back/we want to stretch this game out over a few months so daily sign in bonus) then that could have been pumped and whatever else might be in the equation can be twiddled (up to and including the game's own code but again that is more a problem with savestates that might keep the code in memory -- 3ds games will copy code from the cart to memory and use that, hence the option to do quite radical things in memory codes that in GBA and older might have been reserved for game genie/ROM level approaches).

You will then need to figure out what the cheat did and thus how to either reverse it or tweak it to more of an acceptable level*. Depending upon the game you may have to do something additional -- level up may only be level up rather than calculated based upon whatever and scaling back and forth.

*if it is like earlier games I imagine each character is separate so you might have to expand the cheat out over the other characters in the party/reserves. However the slide code setup that is maybe a variation on the theme of "repeat this every 5 lines/50 bytes/whatever" should also spread out over the rest of the characters so you might get away with the initial setup and then leaving it to propogate. Hopefully there are no underlevelled or there to ensure you don't lose a battle mentor type characters for this one, though said slide code should allow you the option to figure out where such things are even if only by trial and error.

CommanderCool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured that it was something like that, but I was hoping that there might be a silver lining. Ah well, back to the start of the game for me!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I figured that it was something like that, but I was hoping that there might be a silver lining.
There might well be, apologies for now elucidating on it above.

For the 3ds you are probably dealing with pointers, and as there are multiple characters then some kind of slide code to distribute it and some kind of loop arrangement too. Complicated stuff if you have only previously fumbled your way through infinite potions on an old school setup ( https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial ) but most of that you can ignore and be thankful that whatever cheat maker was there before you did it all for you.

If you can find the experience value in the game during the cheated mode (bear in mind you might have to convert from decimal to hexadecimal, most calculators on a computer coming with one but 2 seconds on search if not) then somewhere in the cheat will probably be a write this value. It might even be obvious without doing that. Change this write this to something more appropriate for your needs (could be low level for a hard mode cheat, about right according to that stage in the game or something that maybe is only a bit above). Gain a level/do a battle/whatever is necessary to trigger it and you are good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.