Cannot update HBC on previously softmodded Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blcpl, Sep 24, 2014.

1. blcpl
    OP

blcpl Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2009
    Italy
    I've tried searching for other threads, but most required the ability to run software/install WADs, and at the moment I can't.

I was trying to update the Homebrew Channel and the USB loader on an old Wii I had not touched in a while (years). The Wii ran system version 4.3E W (I imagine the W at the end had something to do with Waninkoko stuff and custom ios... Years ago, I don't remember exactly what I did to it.)

I ran the ModMii guided setup, for System software v4.3E, hoping to just replace/update everything without needing to first reset it. I could load the old Homebrew Channel, which asked me to update, but the update would fail for a lack of vulnerable Ios (probably thanks to whatever I installed way back when I softmodded it). Running the installer through the bannerbomb exploit gave the same message, and Simple Ios patcher (downloaded from ModMii) did not work.

Foolishly, I ran MultiModManager to first reinstall a clean version of 4.3E (it got rid of the "W" appended there, and things were still working as before), and patch Ios 239 through it. Patching worked, when re-entering the Homebrew Channel it asked me to update— I let it, and the update went through. I got an upside-down channel, but I thought I could fix it later. I rebooted, and the Homebrew Channel was gone.

Running the Bannerbomb exploit still failed with the same error (no vulnerable ios), but after failure it would reboot into Bootmii. Bootmii gave me a choice to launch the standard wii menu (still working as before), the HBC (hanging on a black screen) or browse the SD card to launch a homebrew (MMM would not load).

Persisting in my stupidity, not being able to launch the HBC, a specific homebrew, or update the software from the System Menu and start from scratch, I formatted the Wii.

Now Bannerbomb still refuses to install the HBC with the same error, and I can't get into bootmii. I can't do a System Update from the menu either. The standard menu still loads fine, games from the disc channel still load fine, even backups (it had a WiiKey installed ages ago).

Where do I go from here? Is there a way to restore the Ios so that it will load the HBC installer, without having a prior version of the HBC? Does the ability to run backups from disc help me here? Is there any other way to boot into bootmii?

TL,DR: I am stupid and formatted a wii with stubbed IOSes. Wii works, but now I can't re-install the HBC. What do I do?

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Before you do anything else, it'd be a good idea to do a Syscheck (the only thing I'd edit in the Syscheck you upload is the "Console ID", just in case, for privacy reasons).

http://gbatemp.net/threads/syscheck-hacksden-edition.356133/

That program shows you exactly what's going on with your Wii, in terms of IOS versions, what types of patches they have, and other info like that. Instead of running the Hackmii installer via Bannerbomb (or your exploit of choice), run Syscheck instead.

Without knowing what sort of state your Wii is in, it's hard to say where to start.

blcpl likes this.
  3. blcpl
    OP

blcpl Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2009
    Italy
    Thank you for your answer. I've done as you've said, and run the Syscheck app. It did its thing, and crashed when I pressed A to view the results. This is what was in the .csv file, so I hope it did what it was supposed to do (the console was set to Italian, so the report uses Italian too, but if it's an issue I can re-run it set to English... though there's not really that much difference):

Code:
    SysCheck v2.3.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
    ...appoggiato all'IOS80 (v. 6943).

Regione: PAL
    Menu di sistema 4.3E (v514)

Impossibile rilevare la data dell'unita'
    Non è installato Canale Homebrew

Hollywood v0x11
    ID console: [Redacted]
    Tipo Console: Wii
    Paese canale Shop: Italy (83)
    Boot2 v4
    Trovati 55 giochi.
    Trovati 41 IOS in questa console. 9 di questi sono stub.

IOS4 (rev 3): Stub
    IOS9 (rev 1034): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
    IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
    IOS12 (rev 525): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS13 (rev 1031): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS14 (rev 1031): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS15 (rev 1031): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
    IOS17 (rev 1031): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
    IOS21 (rev 1038): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS22 (rev 1293): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS28 (rev 1806): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
    IOS31 (rev 3607): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS33 (rev 3607): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS34 (rev 3607): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS35 (rev 3607): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS36 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS37 (rev 5662): Trucha Bug
    IOS38 (rev 4123): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
    IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
    IOS53 (rev 5662): Trucha Bug
    IOS55 (rev 5406): Trucha Bug
    IOS56 (rev 5661): Trucha Bug
    IOS57 (rev 5918): Trucha Bug
    IOS58 (rev 6175): Trucha Bug, USB 2.0
    IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
    IOS61 (rev 5661): Trucha Bug
    IOS70 (rev 6687): Trucha Bug
    IOS80 (rev 6943): Trucha Bug
    IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, Accesso NAND, USB 2.0
    IOS222[38] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND, USB 2.0
    IOS223[38+37] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND, USB 2.0
    IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, Accesso NAND, USB 2.0
    IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, Identificazione ES, Accesso NAND
    IOS249[56] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, Accesso NAND, USB 2.0
    IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, Accesso NAND, USB 2.0
    IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
    BC v6
    MIOS v65535
    Rapporto generato il 25.09.2014.
    Should I be able to do the same thing I did to run Syscheck to launch MMM and put "clean" versions of the IOSes numbered under 60?

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Well, that explains why the Hackmii Installer won't see any vulnerable IOSes. IOS 58 is "tainted". In my opinion, the first and only IOS to mess around with right now is 58. If you can get IOS 58 in a clean state, you can then get the Homebrew Channel up and running again, making it a lot easier to get everything else cleaned back up (since you don't have to keep running Bannerbomb). As for using MMM, unless you're really comfortable with using it in general (it's a pretty powerful tool and can mess things up worse if you're unsure of what you're doing), I'd probably avoid it. An alternative method would be to get a clean IOS 58 WAD (from NUSD, if you have access to a Windows PC) and then install that. For now, don't mess with any other IOSes. Focus only on getting IOS 58 working cleanly.

blcpl likes this.
  5. blcpl
    OP

blcpl Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2009
    Italy
    Well, I wanted to run MMM mostly because I already had it on the card AND it can download the IOS by itself, which would have saved me some trouble. Unfortunately, if I run it via the Letterbomb hack it doesn't recognize the wiimote and I can't interact with it. I don't have any wired/GC controllers either, so I don't think I can use that.

Is Wad Manager still a thing? Should I use that to install the clena IOS58 wad from NUSD, or is there a better way to do that? I don't know what to do with the .wad file by itself, if there's a way to install it without running an application on the wii.

6. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    You could try WiiMod instead, as it has a wad manager built in, but it's based off of MMM if I remember correctly, so it's possible your Wii remote might not work there either. Same cautions apply to this program as before.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-mod.272321/

But otherwise, yeah, WAD managers are still around (however, I honestly don't know of the latest and greatest one). We definitely need to find an application that will recognise your Wii remote..

blcpl likes this.
  7. blcpl
    OP

blcpl Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2009
    Italy
    Thank you, WiiMod recognized the Wiimote and allowed me to install a clean IOS58 downloaded from NUS...
    Which still led the console to hang on a black screen when trying to run the HackMii/HBC installer. I went the brute-force route and used WiiMod to install every .wad file the ModMii wizard had packaged (cleaning up the previous softmod and putting the correct IOSes in place), and then I managed to run the HBC channel installer just fine.

Now the HBC works, Priiloader works, and so does CFG Usb Loader, so I'm happy with it.

Thanks a lot for your help daxtsu, you're a saint :lol:

daxtsu likes this.
  8. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Good to hear that you got it working. It'd be a good time to make a Bootmii backup too, if you can. That way, if anything gets messed up again, you have a clean slate to be able to fall back on.