can you write game reviews?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by ZenZero, May 31, 2009.

May 31, 2009

can you write game reviews? by ZenZero at 6:57 PM (1,462 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. ZenZero
    OP

Member ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

United Kingdom
    hi,

I have recently been getting into doing some video reviews for any new games i get (type ultimategamer997 into youtube)

but if you have seen any of them, the quality isnt great [​IMG]

SO... i have decided to try and get a team together for a site containing written reviews.

as i have an SCDS i easily get any new DS games i want.
    but i only get the odd wii game now and again, this is why, although i can provide WII reviews, i cannot do any very often.

i would like to do reviews for all systems. here is the staff so far:

DS Reviews - me
    Wii Reviews - me
    PS3 reviews -
    360 reviews - da foxx, personager
    PC reviews -
    PSP reviews -

It is obviously possible for more than one person to write reviews for a single system and for one person to write reviews for more than one system

I was just thinking of doing the site via blogspot - but i am yet to find a name - suggestions please!

if you are interested then please state below

2. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I'd like to help out but I don't have a PSP, PS3, or 360, and I don't own any PC games. [​IMG]

3. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I can do XBOX 360 reviews. I have over 30 games and counting. I can also help you out on Nintendo DS reviews if you want. I play almost every game on it due to flash carts and I can also do the occasional Wii review. Wii games don't come around very often for me but I have quiet a few and can help you out on those once in a while if you'd like.

EDIT: I have a PSP but I'm really not into it so I doubt I'll write any good reviews for it

4. Da Foxx

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I can do Xbox 360 reviews. I can review Ghostbusters when it comes out. [​IMG]

5. ZenZero
    OP

Member ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

United Kingdom
    you two are in
    any name ideas?

6. personager

United Kingdom
    gamer
    ultimate-gamer
    ultimategamer
    gamingheaven
    entergame
    entergaming
    enter-into-gaming
    gameshost
    gamehosts
    wiredup
    gamegauge
    gamerage
    whatgame

7. jabmaster2

Member jabmaster2 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a ps3, wii with tons of games, 360, and a dsl with a cyclo evolutin ds, oh and an iPhone. So I can do any of those.

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    well ive written a few 360 game reviews over at DCemu
    but my 360 is broke now

I also have a powerhorse of a PC at my disposal, hacked PSP / PS2 / PS1, and DS with flast cart
    and a PS3 with a few games

I do text reviews, no video

9. CyberFish

Member CyberFish GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have my list of systems in my sig. I have not written any official reviews, but wouldnt have a problem giving it a try. You could also do system reviews and how to's for fixes and such.

As far as names, I suck. LOL. I started my own free forum awhile back and didnt really get any bites since there were alot of them. I named it consolewarriors.

http://consolewarriors.5.forumer.com/

10. personager

United Kingdom
    So, are you still planning to this, or what?

11. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'll totally do written reviews for PC for any games I have/will get, I don't mind doing a bit of writing and expressing my opinion [​IMG]. Just promise me you'll keep on top of it and won't give up within a week or something, it's just a waste of time if that happens.

12. Lockon Stratos

Member Lockon Stratos GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I can do DS and PSP but I don't really think I'm going to do voices for my reviews though, maybe screenshots and recordings using RemoteJoy Lite PM me if I have the part or not [​IMG]

13. G2K

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I might be able to help out, but it depends on what kind of reviews we do. I've had BAD experience with video reviews - I usually stall and say "umm..." alot, but I still refuse to do a script >>

If I need to do a video though, I will... my other videos (albeit old...) are on Youtube under gaph2000 if you want to see them. I was younger when I did those though, so my voice is higher [​IMG] I can write fairly proffesionally though, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to capture all aspects of the game.

I could write for Wii, 360, DS, and DSiWare.

14. Lockon Stratos

Member Lockon Stratos GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    So, am I in or not? A bit of inactiveness from Zen Zero... [​IMG]

15. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Meh, I'm still a newbie but if you need any reviews I can help. I do DS and WiiWare/VC for the most part. I don't pirate Wii games, so don't ask.

16. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Whilst I don't tend to do many video reviews, what I do is mostly text based with gameplay videos for examples, I know a lot about quality. Something you need to work on.

From what I've seen on your Youtube page, you're recording the games using a camcorder. For a DS I can understand if you don't know how to use an emulator, but to record footage from the Wii you should probably try and get hold of a capture card or a gamebridge. This will also allow for better post-production (You could probably get a Dazzle pretty cheap these days). Also record footage, and then review over it. It will allow you to easily start again without having to re-record footage.

Also script, I'm mainly saying this because of the person a few replies up who says they "refuse to script". Adlib is a bad idea for reviews.

Edit: God damn decided to watch one of your videos, OP. No, just no. Give up. Wait for your balls to drop.