Can you use a CFW on an N3DS LL (Japan Region) to natively show english on every instance?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by CuriousSWSWSW, Oct 7, 2018.

1. CuriousSWSWSW
    OP

CuriousSWSWSW Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2018
    Philippines
    So I've been saving up to buy a second-hand New 3DS XL, but when I searched on Ebay I found great deals on the Japanese region version (LL) for about half the price, is there a way I can install a CFW so that every instance of text (menus, in-game text, etc.) comes as English natively, if not are there other workarounds that seem more viable for this situation? I'm just planning on buying one to run roms off entirely so any suggestion is welcome, thanks in advance!

2. Rodrigo Mafra

Rodrigo Mafra GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2016
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    TurdPooCharger and CuriousSWSWSW like this.
  3. CuriousSWSWSW
    OP

CuriousSWSWSW Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2018
    Philippines
    I've heard about this but read up that it doesn't change some of the menu messages because the code in the mobo itself is in Japanese too(?) but will try this out when I get the chance. Thank you!

Rodrigo Mafra likes this.
  4. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Kid now, squid now

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    I'd assume that once you region change to US a US CTRtransfer would work just fine. Just note that if it's already been used a region change will not allow you to use the eShop.

CuriousSWSWSW likes this.
  5. Aniblaze

Aniblaze Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2009
    Netherlands
    This is untrue. I changed my Japanese firmware to EU firmware, and everything is in English. The only issue is the eShop. Because I had already used the eShop on the Japanese firmware, the eShop won't work on the EU firmware. I'm now on 11.8, and I keep getting eShop errors that I can't update due to the device being in the wrong region (it's a specific error code but that's what it says the error code means on the Nintendo site). I can however always region change back to the Japanese firmware, to get the eShop to work again.

6. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Maybe if you don't connect the Japanese N3DS to the Internet at all, mod it using ntrboot and region change it, you might be able to access the eShop, but forget Frogminer because that requires accessing the eShop at least once

CuriousSWSWSW and Namesnipe like this.
  7. Halvorsen

Halvorsen GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    You'll have to dump the system software using 3DNUS, then interchange the .msbt text scripts from Japanese to English, and recompile.

Changing eShop scripts seem to break it.

8. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Or, region change

9. Halvorsen

Halvorsen GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Which was already suggested

CuriousSWSWSW and Namesnipe like this.
  10. Rodrigo Mafra

May 3, 2016
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    The region change is a us/eu ctrtransfer, you don't need to do another.
    The guide I'v pointed have all he need to do a region change with no troubles.

11. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Yes but on N3DS, if you have ever accessed the eShop and then region change, you won't be able to access it again unless you go back to the original region

CuriousSWSWSW and SCOTT0852 like this.
  12. Rodrigo Mafra

May 3, 2016
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Correct, the Guide made It clear too.

13. CuriousSWSWSW
    OP

CuriousSWSWSW Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2018
    Philippines
    Yeah that isn't really going to be a problem since I wasn't planning on opening the eshop at all after applying the cfw when I heard about the massive banwaves on systems that tried accessing the nintendo servers while modded

14. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    There haven't been any banwaves since May 2017

Last edited by zacchi4k, Oct 10, 2018
  15. CuriousSWSWSW
    OP

CuriousSWSWSW Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2018
    Philippines
    Nice! Are there any noticeable problems with the system after you applied the region change or any other cfw elements?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh wait lol I thought they were from 2018 hahahahaha, is homebrewing still advisable and strongly supported? I kinda want to go ahead and start jacking up the system with all the games I wanted to play

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Wait so how does that work, I could still access games I purchased off the JP eShop without connecting to the net? (Sorry, this is going to be my first 3ds console so I'm way clueless)

Last edited by CuriousSWSWSW, Oct 10, 2018
  16. Aniblaze

Aniblaze Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2009
    Netherlands
    None. Aside from the eShop everything works as intended. I even have my friendlist and everything. Not only that, but when I go online with a legitimate Pokémon game (Pokémon Sun) it works fine. I can go to the friend plaza and trade Pokémon online, and am able to receive mystery gifts.

17. CuriousSWSWSW
    OP

CuriousSWSWSW Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2018
    Philippines
    Niiiiiiice!!! Would it be okay to know what unit you have and what modifications you did to it to achieve all of those features?