Can you switch cfw with arm9loaderhax?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Deccentric, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Deccentric
    OP

Deccentric Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    United States
    Hey guys, just wondering if this is possible. I kind've wanted to try something rather than cakes.

2. Omegapsy

Omegapsy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2012
    United States
    As far as I know you "should" be able to load any a9lh compatible cfw directly and have it boot. Though I'm not familiar with cakes, so I may be wrong.

3. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    Yes. Just install your desired CFW to the SD card, replace arm9loaderhax.bin (or add it to your boot loader, if you are using one) with the one from the new CFW, and voila. 3DS CFWs are interchangeable as they are just firmware loaders and not a replacement firmware.

4. astronautlevel

astronautlevel But he's a guy

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Siteā„¢
    Although it's been said, the best solution is to use a bootloader like ctrboot9 and have one CFW boot by default and have the other boot when you press a key

5. Deccentric
    OP

Deccentric Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for the help everyone. But nooby question. I have Ctrboot installed but how would I add the new cfw to make it default?

6. Omegapsy

Omegapsy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2012
    United States
    Simply change the entry in the bootconfig file to autoboot the cfw of your choice

7. Deccentric
    OP

Deccentric Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    United States
    Thanks so much, everyone.

8. naivegirl2411

naivegirl2411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    Noob question but what benefits are there to having multiple cfws? Don't they all do basically the same thing? AFAIK they all can install unsigned Cias and once some have been updated they would all have ability to protect firm as well