Hacking Can you still connect to WiFi after backing up your NAND?

Tigro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I'm a new SX Pro user and from what I gathered from the forums, the very first thing I should do is to back up my clean NAND before hacking the system. However, from what I see, this requires using the jig and injecting Hekate - thus, should I do it when offline and then keep the system in airplane mode just as if I used SX Pro itself? Or is this a different thing for some reason and you can still use the console online afterwards until you hack it with SX Pro because this, for some reson, doesn't flag you for a ban?

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I'm a new SX Pro user and from what I gathered from the forums, the very first thing I should do is to back up my clean NAND before hacking the system. However, from what I see, this requires using the jig and injecting Hekate - thus, should I do it when offline and then keep the system in airplane mode just as if I used SX Pro itself? Or is this a different thing for some reason and you can still use the console online afterwards until you hack it with SX Pro because this, for some reson, doesn't flag you for a ban?
You can go online whenever you want, as long as you are not booting any kind of CFW.
If you are using CFW via hekate or SX OS should definitely stay offline as much as possible. Because NAND backup can't get you unbanned no matter what.

Reactions: Tigro

Tigro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, I see. So I should do something like this?

1. Download Pokemon Quest
2. Reset WiFi settings, turn airplane mode on
3. Backup my NAND using the jig + hekate method (like here)
4. Set up SX Pro
5. Stay offline until somebody figures out a way to be online safely despite playing backups (maybe someday, maybe never)

Is that right?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

4. Set up SX Pro
5. Stay offline until somebody figures out a way to be online safely despite playing backups (maybe someday, maybe never)

Is that right?
Pretty much yeah

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

4. Set up SX Pro

Is that right?
You don't have to reset wifi settings. Just disable auto connect.
You can boot to hekate via SX payload. Just put hekate.bin on root and hold vol+ until you get to the SX OS screen -> Options -> Launch external paylod -> choose the .bin you want)

Tigro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
You can boot to hekate via SX payload. Just put hekate.bin on root and hold vol+ until you get to the SX OS screen -> Options -> Launch external paylod -> choose the .bin you want)
But if I set up SX Pro first, won't that be visible in my NAND? I'm a newbie in this so I know this might be a stupid question but I'd rather ask than do something which I don't fully understand :) So my current understanding is that you're backing up your NAND to have a copy of your "clean" NAND for possible future use - if I set up SX Pro first, won't that somehow "contamine" my NAND so that the copy I make using Hekate isn't clean anyway?

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
But if I set up SX Pro first, won't that be visible in my NAND? I'm a newbie in this so I know this might be a stupid question but I'd rather ask than do something which I don't fully understand :) So my current understanding is that you're backing up your NAND to have a copy of your "clean" NAND for possible future use - if I set up SX Pro first, won't that somehow "contamine" my NAND so that the copy I make using Hekate isn't clean anyway?
That's not how it works. It is not permanent. And booting to RCM doesn't write/do anything with the NAND. And once again, even if it did, everything would be lost once you reboot.

Tigro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
That's not how it works. It is not permanent. And booting to RCM doesn't write/do anything with the NAND. And once again, even if it did, everything would be lost once you reboot.
I see, so regardless of whether I use the method involving the SX dongle (ie. booting to Hekate through SX payload) or not (like the one I linked to earlier), I'll still end up with the same, cleand NAND backup?

castdreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can, but it does kind of detract from the appeal of making a NAND backup currently anyway. Some people have had the idea that they can stay 100% offline after making a clean NAND backup, which they can restore to go back to a clean state at any time. In theory as long as the console never connects to the internet, it should be safe.

It seems like a lot of hassle just to retain online functionality on a console that has lackluster online service in the first place. If you sincerely want to play current gen games online, it's best to have a secondary console for modding. Times have changed.

Last edited by castdreams,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That sick boy yo