Can we not make a Universal Open source Flashcart loader?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by mori123, Apr 7, 2010.

1. mori123
    OP

Member mori123 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Now I am Clearly Not a coder or in anyway Sure what this would entail I already Know folks like Normatt make AKAIo etc.. others have made YS menu etc.. My question is to all you the masses, What exactly prevents us from writing a Universal Loader Software to run on All Flashcarts, Who cares if Jimmys Got a Clone of a Ak or a r4 or a dstt or a m3, A flash cart is basically not defined By what It IS but by the O/s on it so to speak The Kernel. So why do we have folks Not putting forth for a Wide Open Loader that everyone can use and Support? Sure i am sure there would be different hurdles for different cards but In the long run as a User I don;t care Who the f made my flash cart if it works and plays games.

What do u all think? ps i typed this idea up @ 12:30 while Listening to Lego Indiana Jones Opening on my Dsi xl P:)

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    To work on all flash carts? That would be extremely difficult/impossible.

3. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    +1

Sure I would like that but each cart works its own way.

4. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    I always believe it might be because the builds of the flashcarts themselves are different and that they referenced different variables and parts of the flashcart (I indirectly quote PinkCatBoy when I say I have no clue how to word that outside of my head). It wouldn't exactly be universal since the M3Real/M3iZero look for a different file than some of the other flashcarts like the R4 with its _DS_MENU.DAT.

Of course, I totally support the idea of having a universal loader, although I would rather like the loader to be similar to an Moonshell2 extlink rather than a full on firmware (or at least have something similar to a moonshell2 extlink included) because that would help with alternative firmwares (the only person I really think makes alternative firmwares is Spinal_cord, who does a wicked ass job).

5. dajavax

Member dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    well, moonshell with commercial rom loading could be considered it... it supports many falshcarts... and you can make some of them automatically load it... though it's not a "firmware"...

but also of course i support this idea...

6. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    I would like to support it, there is only one problem. Nintendo would only have to kill that project to kill any flashcart with that open source OS. Kill as in with lawyers.

7. sn0wfish

Member sn0wfish GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Not possible unless some fanboy is rich enough to do good for the community.

You need to manufacture the card's hardware, and patching AP is an ongoing work.

My bet is that either the AP patching is a temporary interest(DSTT? Possibly AK?) or a commercially propelled one(like in CycloDS)

And yeah, Nintendo would love to place a bounty on that rich fanboy that starts this off [​IMG]

PS seriously acekard should be laughing its way to the bank when strangers are helping with its AK loaders etc that drives its flashcart sales up

8. Atashi

Member Atashi Out of the Loop

Canada
    There is a project at devkitpro called hbmenu which is an opensource firmware replacement. It does not yet work on every card out there but it's a start.

It is designed only for running homebrews (i.e. not commercial roms) but it is open source and could be used as a starting point if you wanted to write a universal loader / firmware.

The sourcecode is available on svn.

-Atashi

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    ...Or you could just buy a cart that gets superior firmware and not bother with universal stuff? The only reason people would want this is so there's some small glimpse of hope that their old and beaten flashcart can still get the newest games to work. Even then, the hardware limitations are there and any "universal" firmware would probably have bleak compatibility, mainly because it'd have to be dumbed down for crapcarts (c wat i did der?). If anything you'd just have a loader with poor compatibility compared to whatever good flashcarts have.

And devs pride themselves on making firmware for ONE cart. Why do you think AKAIO throws so many monkey wrenches into using it on Acekard clones?

10. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    the closest thing i know is AKAIO

all karts all in one

*run from normmatt*

11. Matthew

Member Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    At the most it would either be similar to DIDL or extlink.

12. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    AceKard All In One you idiot
    also i support this but would be unable to help make it as the only languages i know are:
    English
    (some) Espanol
    and DEBUG "PBASIC2.5"

13. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    he's kidding lol