Hacking Question Can We Install Windows 10 Arm Edition on Switch Like Linux?

Xenoprotonium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Some hacker has been success install Windows 10 Arm edition on Raspberry Pi 3 (just search you will find it) and on Windows 10 Arm we can install full x86/Win32 program like photoshop, office 2016, VLC Media Player and we can install emulator too like pcsx2 or dolphin maybe. But we cannot install x64 software on Windows 10 Arm Edition.

If we can install linux on Switch why not Windows 10 arm. if Hacker can install Windows 10 arm on Pi 3 why not Swich?

Switch is more powerfull than Pi 3.

Dear Fail0verflow Team and other Dev please can you try Install windows 10 Arm Edition on Switch.

Nintendo Switch Dual Boot with Windows 10 Arm is Great Portable Gaming Machine hehe

Dutch developer Bas Timmer, named @NTAuthority , has successfully installed Windows 10 full version on Raspberry Pi 3 with BCM287 Broadcom ARMv8 processor.

Last edited by Xenoprotonium,

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo Switch Dual Boot with Windows 10 Arm is Great Portable Gaming Machine hehe
with what? UWP apps? lol
Nothing against Windows, but Linux on such a device is WAY better and you have more control (and you have to do a lot more work with Windows to get everything working if it's even possible)

Xenoprotonium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not UWP Apps......But Full x86 Pc Software Like Adobe photosop, Spotify, office 2016, pcsx2, dolphin emu....and other windows software for pc. you can run that on Windows 10 Arm edition for Snapdragon laptop.

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Not UWP Apps......But Full x86 Pc Software Like Adobe photosop, Spotify, office 2016, pcsx2, dolphin emu....and other windows software for pc. you can run that on Windows 10 Arm edition for Snapdragon laptop.

Switch don't have an snapdragon so it can't launch x86 apps with an acceptable performance.

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Windows 10 ARM will still be able to run x86 apps.

Just search up "windows arm x86" on google(I can't use hyperlinks yet sorry).

Yes, I know but the latests snapdragons have the x86 instructions inside, thanks to that they can run the x86 app with a well perfomance.
Without an snapdragon the x86 apps need a very powerfull processor to run relatively well.

Insighted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I know but the latests snapdragons have the x86 instructions inside, thanks to that they can run the x86 app with a well perfomance.
Without an snapdragon the x86 apps need a very powerfull processor to run relatively well.

Isn't the x86 emulation software-based in windows 10 ARM?

Socke81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Windows 10 ARM x86 emulator does not support GPU hardware acceleration and apis like opengl. Forget Dolphin or pcsx2. Swtich CPU is also too slow for Dolphin or pcsx2, don't forget that Nintendo only runs the CPU at 1Ghz.

Last edited by Socke81,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me it's pointless windows arm...

My friend had a M$ surface the cheaper one from a few years ago and I couldn't install almost any app in it, back then almost nothing was compatible so he returned the crap tablet and got a real X86\X64 tablet with full windows 10 which is way better.

And I don't think Switch would be able to run X86 PC games well with the crap wind10 arm, I would prefer a dual boot between full Nvidia shield TV android kernell\OS and Switch OS.

Or even better having android as main OS with the feature to open Switch games from it, that would be double kill :).

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Windows 10 ARM x86 emulator does not support GPU hardware acceleration and apis like opengl. Forget Dolphin or pcsx2. Swtich CPU is also too slow for Dolphin or pcsx2, don't forget that Nintendo only runs the CPU at 1Ghz.
you can change the clock speed to 1.9 with hacks probably.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well if they make it able to OC it, I would call a guy to make me a full copper custom CNC cooler and use Artic MX4 thermal compound, I think I would be fine with the temps...
I hope you're joking. Beside thermals, supplying power would also be a problem.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if they make it able to OC it, I would call a guy to make me a full copper custom CNC cooler and use Artic MX4 thermal compound, I think I would be fine with the temps...
You do realize that the Switch already has a pretty beefy set of copper heatpipes, right? You could try your own thermal paste, but I don't know if it'd be better than whatever Nintendo is using

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 ARM x86 emulator does not support GPU hardware acceleration and apis like opengl

I could definitely see Microsoft stopping ARM vendors from providing OpenGL or Vulkan APIs support (if that is actually true, I am pretty upset about that), but it would be really ridiculous if the x86 emulator can't at least support the DirectX API.

Last edited by CuriousTommy,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you're joking. Beside thermals, supplying power would also be a problem.
I have a few high amp nano-battery lipos with no use, I can easily make a 14v power bank if that's even the voltage supplied by the dock station, I have no clue yet...

They can discharge a DEADLY amount of amps in burst (more than 100amps) and still a HUGE amount continuously and I can charge them in 15min, but I always do a 1C charge which means around 1 hour charge and with all cells balanced.
You do realize that the Switch already has a pretty beefy set of copper heatpipes, right? You could try your own thermal paste, but I don't know if it'd be better than whatever Nintendo is using
Yeah well, I also have a 11.6 inch laptop with a 3rd gen high power I7 + GT650m with a already high copper cooler and a guy from other forum made me an upgraded CNC cooler which made a huge difference, I can OC the GT650 a lot (I have a custom bios with OC support).

And even putting a lot of copper tape might also do a good difference or having the big backplate all in copper instead of aluminium...

Anyway I don't mind cutting, soldering, adding metal and all that stuff.

When I bought my Xbox360 back in 2008, 1st day was stock testing with demos only just to see if there was any defect...

2nd day I already opened it, soldered PC power cables, changed stock fan, added 2 extra fans (one with a homemade plastic square pipe for maximum air pressure for the GPU only), cut, drill, changed thermal compound, added memory coolers on all high chips inside....

And my falcon is still alive with RGH. I set fan speed to 60% and mine is way cooler than my friends jet loud stock falcon Xbox with fans set to 100% fan speed which is too bloody noisy.

And just the thermal compound, even some intel CPUs after getting delid and using a proper thermal compound makes more than 10C° difference.

I'm still to see a console with a good thermal compound... A good one will probably already lower near 5 to 10 C° and Artic MX-4 4 example claims 8 years of life, so you won't have to change it so soon...

Not to mention the special ones like liquid metal, but I prefer using Artic MX4 100% safe and one of the best normal thermal compound.

Last edited by guily6669,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)