Hacking can the sky 3ds run unsigned games and homebrew if you have custom firmware

hacksn5s4

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
so gate way makes you use there cfw which is worse then luma if you want to use it so say if i want a flash card to use on luma cfw could the sky 3ds play unsigned games on a 3ds with cfw

LunaLogic

Gimme DLDI please.
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I think the problem is not on 3DS but on Sky3ds. Back to the red/blue button's age, Sky (Diskwriter of course) don't even allows you to write a *.3ds file into SD if there's no data about this file in templetes.txt .

Last edited by LunaLogic,

civickm

Rocky Mountain IT Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would want to keep my games installed on the console that way I don't lose my sky3ds, I use mine only for entry-points now. But I agree with LunaLogic the sky3ds firmware it self might need roms with sigs on it to even allow the 3ds to see it.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I'd be surprised if signature patches truly didn't apply to 3DS cartridges. While it might not be quite the same thing, they work for Gateway, which more or less behaves like a retail cartridge (ignoring the multi ROM stuff). The issue here is that the Sky 3DS itself refuses to mimic anything without valid signatures. Whether or not that's an artificial limitation, I don't know, although it has the benefit of letting the user know immediately that a given ROM is invalid (the Sky 3DS+ renames bad roms to *.3ds.bad, or something similar). With the rise of CFW, I think it would be to their advantage to make ROM hacks work, but it seems it's currently aimed towards those with completely non-hacked consoles.

LunaLogic

Gimme DLDI please.
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It's not very convenient for users who wants to play translated games but for some reasons didn't hack their consoles. We have HANS though.
A friend of mine always update his console version right before new exploit appears. I commiserate him.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work