Gaming Can someone suggest a game with an awesome story?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna say MGS Peace Walker but I guess that's off limits.

Otherwise most PSP games honestly have shitty stories.

EDIT: Actually Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection is pretty kick ass.
Is MGS Portable Ops any good?

I didn't find it too engaging and it didn't feel as narrative driven as Peace Walker. Peace Walker is just a better game.

BadAnimal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fantastic read! Great descriptions after the games, many I have never played but will make it a point to now.

Please, please do the DS list!!!

Thank you!!

Well this depends if your wanting psp games then I have a short list, if you want psx and other it'll be a very very long list...

(The psp awsome story game list )

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony - Its remake or remastered verson which ever of the original from the ps1 which was a remake of the sega cd one. It has a awsome and classic story with a awsome ending. Its combat is more like the older final fantasy games,

Breath of Fire 3 - An epic story for sure, and a must play, the best of the breath of flre games, long and full of adventure to boot.

Crisis Core - If you have played Final fantsy 7 clearly this game is a must play, though I have not played it I hear its really good.

Starocean: Second Evolution - never actualy played it, I know nothing about it but star ocean games usualy have great stories as ive never heard complaints on this one I asume its no different.

Edit: Final Fantasy X - I forgot final fantasy X was remastered for the ps3 and psp, this meaning they made the graphics for it HD and nothing more I think.

( Playstaion One Best story games )

Final Fantasy 7 - This always has been, and always will be on the top of every list for its possibly the greatest game ever.

Lunar: Silver Star Story complete - Classic rpg and a remake of the sega cd verson, great story met with a a perfect ending.

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue complete - This one takes place many year's after the first one, and carry's on its epic story and fully ends the game as well leaves every thing you wondered about explained.

Xenogears: Very hard to find but very very good, graphics are a bit dated though. Not to beconfused with the horribly game/stories of xenosaga 2&3... if only those two games could be unmade.... if only they could have been like XenoSaga1

Mega Man Legends: dated pretty bad in terms of graphics, but that aside the story is amazing.

Mega Man legends 2: Graphic's arn't as bad as the first one but still an amazing story that finishes the game. Though a 3rd one had been planned for the 3ds.

Wild Arms - Classic epic rpg, many wild arm's games each of them with a epic and wonderful story and theme. There's a remake for it on the ps2, saddly I could never find it .

Breath of Fire 3 - Epic story awsome game play, and even by today's standereds id say the graphic's arn't to bad, has a port on the psp. The best of the breath of fire games.

Final Fantasy 9 - always a good story with most of the older final fantasy's - and the graphic's are nice still in my opinion.

Final Fantasy 8 - This one is loved and disliked by many, its story being good depends on your opinion of it I suppose.

( Playstation 2 good story games )

Dragon Quest VIII - One of the most epic games, awsome and epic story, my number one fave ps2 game. And its graphics are still freaking awsome by today's standereds. This game will have every thing you ever want in a rpg.

Final Fantasy X - There will always be a final fantsay on these lists unless its a wii one lol.

StarOcean; till the end of time - Epic game play, epic story, lots of fun stuff to do, a must play and the best of the star ocean games to date.

Wild Arms 3 - Good story but can be very hard, this is a game Ifound I needed a players guide for several times....

Wild arms 4 - Great story and all around fun game, nice and orginal battle system to boot.

Wild Arms 5 - A very epic story, and my favorite of the wild arm's games if your going to play any of them this is the one to play. Note 2 things, Wild arms games arn't linked so what order you play them in does not matter. Also this one has a broken verson of Wild arms 4 battle system. Just means less fun in battle compaired to fighting in 4 the game its self is fine.

Xenosaga - so long as you accept pat 2 is litteraly broken and must not have had beta testing as well as one of the worst story for a game ever. 3 isn't as bad as 2 but the story was just horrible. All the goodness was spent on 1 it seems...

Rogue Galaxy - Awsome game, though more worthy of the star ocean title as you actualy travel through space and to many other worlds. Its like a suped up verson of star ocean.

Castlevania Curse of Darkness - Awsome story and awsome gameplay.

Castlevania Lament of innoccence - The story of the first bahmont and how the whip was made.

Dawn of Mana - A great game but not for every one, if you never liked any of the mana games this one might not be for you.

Breath of fire Dragon Quarter - I loved this game, but many others don't, though thats because it was such a huge change from the other breath of fire games. The story is every one lives under ground in a shelter and your going up the many levels to help a girl get to the surface so she can survive as the polution underground is killing her. A bad thing about this game is you actualy have a limit of steps you can take. Walk to much and you will die which is retarded as if this happens half way through or somethimg you have to restart. Cheating to get around this can cause problems at the end with the boss... as you need that step gauge full ish...

Edit cause I got bored and added ( Game cube games with great stories )

The legend of Zelda Wind waker - Awsome awsome story, takes place ages after orcina of time, though most hate it for its massive graphics change from realizem. Though if you don't mind the change in graphics its a must play with replay value to me.

The lengend of Zelda twilight princess - I liked wind waker more but felt this one was good to, then again what zelda isn't lol.

Sky's of Arcadia - Awsome game but is a port from the sega cd, graphics are a bit dated, side note there is a anime that is very similar to this game.

Resident Evil 4 - Still the best resident evil game in my book, not insanely hard, if your looking for a shooter with a decent story this is it.

Tales of Symphonia - Loved it liked it have it, classic rpg graphics are still good and it has a sequel on the Wii that was pretty good and has a nice plot twist.

Luigi's Mansion - Not all that long and by far not a epic story but fun to play, a sequel is coming on on the 3DS for it.

Edit cause I got bored and added ( Wii Games with good stories )

The legend of Zelda Skyward sword - awsome story, leave it to Zelda games to always be as golden as the triforce when every they come out.

The legend of Zelda Twilight princess - This was okay, decent story but not the best in my opinion skyward sword was waaay better and more fun.

Tales of Symphonia 2 - A sequal to Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube, is a must play if you liked the first one, story has a nice plot twist at the end :)

Metroid M other - Baddly named but not baddly made, great story, Metroid has not had one with this much depth sense Metroid fusion, not to say the others didn't, but it was always more a shooter than a story to me compaired to those two. Though the Metroid primes was decent story wise was well.

Xenoblade - Possibly the last good game for the Wii, I have not played it yet as im to poor to buy it right now but I hear only good things about it so far.

Added cause I got bored again ( Ds games with good stories )

On second though this list would be so long id be up all night.... unlike the gamecube and wii Nintendo's handhelds have far better games and much much more of them lol. :D

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the long wait, here's the list for the Nintedo DS

Nostalgia - It lives up to his name, its a classic rp only.. with air ships! the best use of air ships ever as you get to fight while flying them, and upgrade them, the game basicaly has you going all around the world in a classic rpg style. I felt the story was pretty good. The game reminded me a lil of sky's of arcadia.

Solatorbo: Red the Hunter: This game is as epic as it is awsome, and just when it ends... you get a huge suprise, its a world of anthrow's half human half animal people. Where you pilot a robot and fly air ships. You have upgrade options for your robot and well the story is really great! This game is a must play to me

The legend of Zelda: Phantom Hour glass - This one takes place after the Wii one " The Wind Waker" if you liked the Wii zelda game this is a must play as it uses the same style of graphics.

The legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - This one has the same type of graphics ase PHG and Wind Waker but takes place far in the future and is not the same Link. Don't let the trains push you away this game is really freaking good, possibly better than FHG.

Pokemon Heart Gold or Soul Silver - I had to add this, the story is no better than any other pokemon game but the game itself is a epic remake of the original. As perfect as a remake could be, after this game I found it hard to play any other pokemon game...

Pokemon Diamond or Pearl - Sorry but pokemon games are awsome to me lol probably doesn't count sense your wanting good stories. And pokemon games tend to follow the instructions of a shampoo bottle... get badges, beat bad guys, beat elite four, repeate....

Pokemon Black and White - Been unable to play either from how epic pokemon heart gold and soul silver was, but I hear great things of it. Infact there the first pokemon games to ever get there own sequel game.

Infinite Space - A long game but as well as a good story though it has issues... such as the sound being so low I had to wear head phones to hear it. The battles are horribly repititive, and the crew men/ melee battles are horrible to boot as they fuction via a rock paper scissor's type style....

Golden Sun Dark Dawn - This game is a must play if you played the first to epic and legendary games Golden sun. Though while the story seems good. It is a bit disapointing as they have you completely lose focus of the main object of the game which seemed a far better story to be chased about... There wil be a second one to continue this story at some point. But if you never played golden sun just stay away from it...

Final Fantasy III - This is the final fantasy 3 we in america and well any place that speaks english did not get, its not the epic american FFIII but its still pretty good. The graphics also got reworked but the game play is all the same, worth playing for sure.

Final Fantasy IV - A very epic game and a very nice remake, the story is very good and id raite this game as a must play, the graphics for it are between FF7 and FF8 on the ps1.

Dragon Quest IX Sentinels of the starry Skies - THIS GAME is probably the greatest rpg that there will ever be on the Ds, the story is so freaking good, the graphics are perfect, the gamplay awsome. There is so much to do and so many ways to play this game, it has huge replay value as well as a long story. If you played Dragon Quest 7 on the ps2 this game is very similar to that and almost as long. If your going to play a Ds game make this one your first!!!!!!

Dragon Quest IV Chapter of the chosen - A remake of one of the older dragon quest games, a bit old school but good.

Dragon quest V - Anther remake but After IX this is my next fave DRagon quest game on the DS, as it combines dragon quest and dragon quest monster.

Dragon Quest VI - Anther dragon quest remake, old school for sure but if you didn't like IV you won't like this one either.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - I love the dragon Quest monster games, but bewarned there is a butt load of grnding to be done, its a fun game though if you don't mind alot of grinding to re level monsters for breeding and all that.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 - I ve mixed feelings on this game... but felt the monster breeding was far better on the 1st one making it funner...

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Engliess Frontier - These games are usualy freaking awsome and not ported to america, so it figures we would get the one Super robot Taisen that didn't have robots in it.... still its a good and fun game.

Chrono Trigger - A really good game and considering how long ago it was made, way ahead of its time, This is a port from the snes though its got things added to it. If you never played it on the SNES than this is a must play after you play Dragon Quest IX. As good now as it was back then.

Resident Evil Deadly Silence - Its a port of the ps1 resident evil game onto the DS, and frankly I think it not only plays better but looks way better then it did on the ps1 lol. This is a shooter / Mystery type game.

Moon - Grahpics a bit blah but if that doesn't bother you its actualy a pretty good shooter with a shocking story.

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - If you like Castlevania games the Ds ones are great.

Castlevania Order of Ecclesia - see comment above.

Castlevania Portait of Ruins - See comment above the above...

Contact - Never got around to playing it, but I heard the story for its good.

( This list is for Good Ds games that might not fit your good story want, but are still good games. )

Advance Wars Days of Ruin - decent story, its a stratagy type game, very fun.

Choushoujuu Mecha MG - "Warning no english port" If you don't mind it being all in japanesse, this game is epic, one of the best games for the Ds that was never ported, and uses the Ds's touch screen as it was ment to beused, possibly the greatest mech game there will ever be...

Custom Robot Arena - These games tends to stink something horrible, but the Ds one is so freaking good and fun, if you love robots and shooters this is for you.

Phantasy Star Zero - Looks good, kinda a online MMO free to play game for the Ds..

Ragnarok Ds - Never got around to playing it but I think its like Phantasy Star, a kina MMO for the DS.. no monthly fee's naturaly.

Star Fox Comman - Its starfox.. what more do you want! well the orignal was suppose to be awsome and this game is suppose to capture what was so good about it.

Suikoden Tierkreis - While this rpg got ported to america... clearly its name didn't lol. I have not gotten around to playing it but the grahpics look high end and it seems like a good rpg. The game reminds me of Final fantsy

Magical STarsign - Never got around to playing it but ive only heard good things about it....

Id suggest the Digimon games, more so if you used to watch the show back when it was good.. or on... but I found the font very hard to read on the Ds as its kinda tiny...

krazykracker1288

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
persona 2 innocent sin and persona 3 for psp have some of the best stories and gameplay so far, psp or otherwise. I can and have played FFIV more times than i have fingers and toes. Ive been dying to play peacewalker, but me and my bud plan to co-op it but his psp is currently bricked at the moment.

Janthran

Solarian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
persona 2 innocent sin and persona 3 for psp have some of the best stories and gameplay so far, psp or otherwise. I can and have played FFIV more times than i have fingers and toes. Ive been dying to play peacewalker, but me and my bud plan to co-op it but his psp is currently bricked at the moment.
Better get that fixed, I've been playing PW and it's amazing.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't find it too engaging and it didn't feel as narrative driven as Peace Walker. Peace Walker is just a better game.

Funny, i enjoyed Portable Ops so much more than Peace Walker. Peace Walker was a shadow of an MGS game with dull repetitive gameplay, an uninteresting plot and a ranking mechanic that meant rushing through stages and ignoring 90% of the weaponry. I spent 70 hours S ranking the game (yes including Gear Rex strikes back) and the overall feeling i had was tedium.

PO feels much more like a Metal Gear game, with actual boss battles and a story that "felt" much more in keeping with MGS rather than mixing up previous games plot elements and regurgitating them poorly. I know i'm probably in the minority with PW, but it's the worst Metal Gear game i've played.

clonesniper666

KRII LUN AUS
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey does anyone know how you're supposed to beat bosses in Peacewalker? It doesn't seem like blowing my cover and using an RPG is the best strategy.

First time through that is a good strategy but once you get higher level weapons you will want to do all stealth with the pistol to get the high level recruits from them.

Janthran

Solarian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First time through that is a good strategy but once you get higher level weapons you will want to do all stealth with the pistol to get the high level recruits from them.
I meant like the Hind and tanks and stuff. I keep getting creamed because I run out of RPG ammo. Is there some specific strategy or what?

clonesniper666

KRII LUN AUS
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I meant like the Hind and tanks and stuff. I keep getting creamed because I run out of RPG ammo. Is there some specific strategy or what?

All I remember doing was first tranquilizing all the normal soldiers to get the recruits from it and then once I got the boss to pop out I would use the RPG to demolish him, also mines are very helpful the first time you fight them.

The hardest Boss I thought was the helicopter you had to fight but once I finished the game almost all the Boss battles were quite easy..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to