ROM Hack Can someone explain headers to me

Educk76

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a Sky3DS for my kids. I'm a total noob when it comes to 3ds rom stuff. I've found some of the roms that we want, but in the process I have learned a little bit about headers. There is lots of talk about public and private headers, but little I can find that explains it all. So I just thought I would see if someone could take a few minutes to explain what they are.

Public Headers
Private Headers
Are these only important for games that go online, or for any game you play while your 3ds is connected to the internet?
Some thread was talking about getting the header from a game like Steel Diver because it is fairly cheap. So if I grab a header from another game, can I no longer play that game? We already have lots of 3ds cards, can I get the headers off those, or will that be a problem if both games are ever online at the same time?
Do all games have these headers that you can grab, or only the kind that go online?
Some roms say they are patched for online, does that mean they are safe?

Much thanks to anyone that can take the time to help me with some of this.

Last edited by Educk76,

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a Sky3DS for my kids. I'm a total noob when it comes to 3ds rom stuff. I've found some of the roms that we want, but in the process I have learned a little bit about headers. There is lots of talk about public and private headers, but little I can find that explains it all. So I just thought I would see if someone could take a few minutes to explain what they are.

Public Headers
Private Headers
Are these only important for games that go online, or for any game you play while your 3ds is connected to the internet?
Some thread was talking about getting the header from a game like Steel Diver because it is fairly cheap. So if I grab a header from another game, can I no longer play that game? We already have lots of 3ds cards, can I get the headers off those, or will that be a problem if both games are ever online at the same time?
Do all games have these headers that you can grab, or only the kind that go online?
Some roms say they are patched for online, does that mean they are safe?

Much thanks to anyone that can take the time to help me with some of this.

A Public or shared header is a header that exists for 2 or more games, you should avoid using them as you can get banned.

A private header is a header you and you alone own, this can be ripped from any game and used on all of your roms. The game you use should be new, never touched or used by someone else, and never sold, keep it safe or destroy it after ripping the header.

Never go online using 2 of the same header at once this is no different than using a public header a good example is you walking into your house and someone says hi then minutes later someone walks in that looks just like you clearly the second person is fake.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

Educk76

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that is kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't know for sure. Thank you very much for the crash course. So the one header would be fine for all the games on the flash card because you can only play one game at a time. And even if they say a rom is patched for online or something along those lines, playing that rom online without changing the header to a private one might get your 3ds banned right?

So now do I need to get one of those 3ds card usb adapters to rip the header from a game?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro