jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well for starters, you might want to set aside a couple long months to learn how to code, then set aside another couple months to get the hang of it, and then set aside another couple months to work on something useful, and then set aside another couple months to debug and optimize everything. All in all, you may be looking at up to a year to come out with something that can do something more than print out "Hello World".
On the other hand, if you are much more apt at learning coding than you are at grammar, then I recommend looking at this link for your learning needs because is cool xD. Just search around the threads and you can find other websites.

And on a final note, don't expect people to post within the hour, or within the day, since people do have lives, they aren't on GBAtemp 24/7 (I hope).

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
And on a final note, don't expect people to post within the hour, or within the day, since people do have lives, they aren't on GBAtemp 24/7 (I hope).

Ive seen many posts that have replies within five minutes than the previous post
that even some are amazed at how fast the reply was

jeremy506

Some dude.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Right. You need to learn plain C and possibly C++.
Use the library PAlib and install DevkitPro, too.

For beginners, I am making an app that does most of the work for you, but you still need to know C.
It is called NDSCreator.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
well actually, thanks to our helpful nature, mass of members and differences in timezones, this site is actually pretty much active 24/7
cool.gif

edit: spelling, spelling :/

AAcrazyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! Im a newbie as well.
Do you "NEED" to know C AND C++? or do you just have to know C++?
Ive heard it's better to know C++ but Im not sure which is better for making DS homebrew...
unsure.gif

Do you need to know both? or is one better than the other?

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
Just learn C++. That is fine. Skull is just babbling as always. I never learned C i just noticed that when i accidently save my file as C i am not able to use
for(int bla=0;i

AAcrazyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanx dawg!
does anybody have any good books or sites to recommend for learning C++?
I would prefer books but sites are good too!
tongue.gif

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
Forgive me if this sounds offensive. I dont know if you have libraries in USA? xD
If you do they probably have some books on programming. I live in Denmark (not very big country) and we have books on how to program. If a country this small has some then USA libraries must surely have some too! ^^

If there are no books on the library then try this:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

This tutorial explains what every line does. You do NOT have to understand why it does that. Just what it does. Dont get all panicky in the start. C++ is not an easy language. As long as the code you write does what you want it to ^^

I think(dunno about others). But i think it is importnant to just play around with it.

Ill give an example from when i started xD
I started off with a noobish Firecard for my DS. Well it worked fine but it was kinda shit.
I found out that you could program for the DS. Omg!!
Learning C++ is not very difficult if you are "amazed" by what you accomplished. Edit: This way you are entertained by learning. Then it wont be boring and it will be fun.
My first program could only write on the screen if i had pressed some buttons or not. Still it was very entertaining and exciting that I,ME MYSELF programmed it to do that ^^ if you are just learning to program because you want to impress others with games and stuff its going to be very difficult. So if you in general are entertained by how computers work etc. etc. it shouldnt be so hard.

Wow! Wall of text xD
Happy learning C++ !!
wink.gif

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WioWao said:
Forgive me if this sounds offensive. I dont know if you have libraries in USA? xD
If you do they probably have some books on programming. I live in Denmark (not very big country) and we have books on how to program. If a country this small has some then USA libraries must surely have some too! ^^
Yes of course there are libraries here.
rofl2.gif

Anyway C++ is more object oriented than C and therefore better for games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.