Can i use a wii remote in GameCube games when my wii is hacked?

DAVID_idk69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Hi
I planning to buy a wii and hacking it cause i found it's easy and i like the consol
But i wonder if you can use wii remote in GameCube games when you hacked the wii
Is that possible?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most people usually want to go the other way. Equally it will want to be things like the classic controller in the wiimote most of the time as well rather than just wiimote and nunchuck.

There are four ways of playing GC games on the Wii.

1) Officially, or with modchip/drive emulator appearing as official.
2) With hacked MIOS (the Wii has mini game launching modules that handle different hardware called IOS, custom IOS which is what most Wii hacking revolves around being called cIOS and the mIOS is what handles the gamecube backwards compatibility).
https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/gamecube/dios-mios
3) Nintendont.
https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont
4) Devolution https://gbatemp.net/threads/defeating-devolution.615252/ . More included to technically count but originally had some other perks, and maybe supports a few more controllers.

1) and 2) will only not work with GC controllers if you have some kind of hardware adapter to emulate things. The others can work with other things, various compatibilities for each and possible options to include support for other things if you are a programmer.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Through Nintendont yes. And you can emulate GameCube memory cards too
solo wiimote no, only wiimote+extensions like wiimote+nunchuck or wiimote+classic controller

wiimote+nunchuck is the worst possible controller for nintendont as it lacks buttons for many games and the modes are a huge mess.

I highly recommend getting a gc controller, or a classic controller or even a wiiu pro controller(even works on wii on nintendont)

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: jeannotte

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the most part I and most others consider the family editions and things without GC ports there to be utter junk.

If your only choice is a launch wii that somehow does not do dual layer and one and you did not care for USB options to play anything that used that instead then I could possibly see going for a family edition. As second hand Wiis (granted I don't know the Algerian market) are available anywhere for next to nothing then that does not seem a plausible scenario.

DAVID_idk69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Dunno if that is possible, just buy a GameCube controller.
I would like to buy a gc controller
But i from algeria and i gonna be buy it locally so buying gc controller well be though and waste of time
Post automatically merged:

For the most part I and most others consider the family editions and things without GC ports there to be utter junk.

If your only choice is a launch wii that somehow does not do dual layer and one and you did not care for USB options to play anything that used that instead then I could possibly see going for a family edition. As second hand Wiis (granted I don't know the Algerian market) are available anywhere for next to nothing then that does not seem a plausible scenario.
Oh i forgot that wii family edition is without USB port
So yeah i well get the original model

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I would like to buy a gc controller
But i from algeria and i gonna be buy it locally so buying gc controller well be though and waste of time
Post automatically merged:

Oh i forgot that wii family edition is without USB port
So yeah i well get the original model
Family edition has USB ports, but lacks GameCube ports. You can still use GC controllers through a USB adapter. The only difference with the family edition is the removed support for GameCube discs, and removed GameCube ports.

Reactions: SylverReZ

fandango

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I originally posted here about GC controllers. A few posts later I got flamed and accused of spreading disinformation. I only said what "I preferred". I didn't say that the Classic Controller is better than the GC controller, just that for my situation I prefer it. But I have deleted my original post anyway as I don't want to cause offence.

Last edited by fandango,

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Family edition has USB ports, but lacks GameCube ports. You can still use GC controllers through a USB adapter. The only difference with the family edition is the removed support for GameCube discs, and removed GameCube ports.
Alternatively, you can solder them back on, but that's not ideal.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think which controller is best for GC games on a Wii depends on your circumstances. I have summarised the options below:

Plug in a GC controller. It has these advantages; coloured buttons, analogue triggers, won’t lag, and a rumble feature. But it has these disadvantages; inconveniently wired, you can’t plug one into a mk2 Wii, and no home button to exit games (instead press ‘R right trigger’ + ’Z right purple bumper’ + ’B red button’ + ’D-Pad down’).

Or use the Wii Classic Controller. It has analogue triggers, is wireless (it plugs into a Wiimote), works with a mk2 Wii, won’t lag, and has a home button. But it doesn’t have coloured buttons, and no rumble.

You could also use a GC controller with a black Mayflash Wiimote adapter. It has coloured buttons, analogue triggers, is wireless (plugs into Wiimote), and works with a mk2 Wii. But it only has home via the start/pause button (<1 sec is select, >1 sec is home, quick double press is start/pause), may lag, and has no rumble.

Can also use a GC controller with a white Mayflash Wiimote adapter. It has coloured buttons, analogue triggers, is wireless (plugs into Wiimote), and works with a mk2 Wii. But it has no home button, may lag, and no rumble.

Can use a GC controller with a Mayflash Gamecube Ports USB adapter.
It has analogue triggers, coloured buttons, rumble, shouldn’t lag, and works with a mk2 Wii. But it is wired (needs 1 usb port, may need 2 usb ports for rumble?), has no home button, and may only support 1 controller?

Or can use a Wired Wii U controller, often called a Battle Pad. It has coloured buttons, is wireless (plus into Wiimote), works with a mk2 Wii, shouldn’t lag, and has a home button. But it doesn’t have analogue triggers, and no rumble.

Personally I prefer the Classic Controller. I have solved the coloured buttons issue by using 8mm coloured stickers and a sharpie pen to add my own as per attached pic. Below are the other options, although as you can guess they are all more expensive than simply using a Classic Controller. Plus you can use a Classic Controller for some Wii games too.
who cares about colored buttons? seriously? saying the classic controller is better to play gc games than to use a gamecube controller is ridiculous...

Also no controllers lag in nintendont lol ,what are you smoking? they all have the same exact response time, on nintendont if your not using native mode all controller code is emulated which means every single controller responds with the exact same ms delay since they are on a codding loop.

Seriously dont talk about what you dont know and spread misinformation.

You dont need to use a mayflash adapter you can even use a wiiu gc adapter or a switch gc adapter and many people might have one of this already.

Also you failled to mention one of the worst things of the classic controller vs gc controller the analogue values are ridiculous low.

gc controller both analogue stick go from 1 to 255(gc games were coded with this in mind)
classic controller left analogues is 1-156 and right analogue is 1-108

So the precision on the analogue sticks is terrible, specially if you want to use the right analogue like for FPS games and such, the precision is lower than half.

The best controller to play gc games besides the gc controller is the wiiu pro controller, it even works on nintendont on wii consoles too and other wii apps that support it like wii64,wiisxrx,not64,most emulators and etc.

Take this from someone that actually knows what they are talking about best controllers for nintendont
Also analogue triggers are used very little and only matter in like 3 or 4 games.

1-Gc controller through native wii port(only 1st gen wii (perfect)
2-gc controller through gc adapter (mayflash,wiiu,switch) every wii/wiiu
3-wiiu pro controller every wii/wiiu it has rumble/wireless/good analogue sticks no analogue triggers
4-Ps3 controller( one of the few with rumble coded for nintendont) usb only but it has rumble great analogue sticks good, analogue triggers and overall great hid controller every wii/wiiu
5-most hid controllers(almost every usb controller besides ps3 wont have rumble but they for preety fine like ps4 and generic pads) you can have analogue triggers and such if you use one with those features. every wii/wiiu
6-wiiu gamepad wiiu only no rumble/analogue triggers but you can play off the tv/screen resolution of the wiiu gamepad is 480p which is the native resolution off gc games and wireless
7-classic controller normal one has analogue triggers but you get awful analogue stick precisions and the wiimote dongling on your lap for the duration off the play session plus no rumble aswhell. every wii/wiiu
8-classic controller pro better ergonomically but same disavantages as abode
9-wiimote+nunchuck this are the worst not enough buttons, the codding schemes are a mess and dont work on most games and so on. every wii/wiiu

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: ber71

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT