Can I uninstall CFW and keep games?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Trisme, May 20, 2017.

1. Trisme
    OP

Trisme Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017
    I have a New 3DS XL on 11.3 With CFW "Luma3DS"
    Can I uninstall all CFW but keep the games I installed from the free-shop? So it's like a stock 3DS, but with games installed. I installed CFW with the guide on 3ds.guide

Last edited by Trisme, May 20, 2017
  2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You can only keep legit games/CIAs without a CFW. Luma3DS has signature patches that allow CIAs to be installed and ran. Without those signature patches, the games won't work

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    They will stay installed but be unusable, since nothing you get from freeshop is "legit" = signed by nintendo

By the way you can't remove only the CFW, you'd need to remove arm9loaderhax too

4. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Unless they're legitimate .cias (games that came installed on certain models of the 3DS), removing CFW will not let you play .cias you had installed to the cfw, though they will still appear on the menu

5. Trisme
    OP

Trisme Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017

Thanks, what would happen if the 3DS was updated to 11.4 (while on CFW)? Would the games still be playable?

6. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Only the legit ones. Doesn't matter the firmware

7. addi33

addi33 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2016
    Gambia, The
    he meant by still using sig patches so nothing would happen everything would still be the same

8. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Oh,my bad, misread

9. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    There's no reason to uninstall cfw if you want to still use the features of it. Is there a reason u want to get rid of cfw, like selling the 3ds? If its something not working right, you can find help rather than giving up cfw altogether. And yes, you can be on latest firm with cfw still intact.

Ryccardo likes this.