Homebrew can I turn ds games into dsiware cias?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Not literally USE Sky3DS...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you, by extension, load up the Menu?

I already tried and it failed. Immediate Error screen. I ninja edited my post above and you missed it. Re-read it. I explained why it probably doesn't work at the moment.

I also tried to get DSi eShop to work. It boots, but gets a error when connecting to the internet. Probably related to DSi Console Id or something. Nintendo servers for DSi likely don't allow DSi Console IDs from 3DS TWL mode as I believe they are generated differently on a 3DS then a real DSi.

That and title install taking place while in TWL mode on 3DS may not function correctly in the first place. Nothing you install from there would show up in 3DS Home Menu and thus far there's no way to get DSi Home Menu to work on a 3DS. Not to mention tickets for DSiWare is stored on CTR_NAND on a 3DS which is not accessible from TWL mode. So you'd have to somehow figure out how to generate valid tickets for the console ID of your TWL mode on 3DS before Data Management will even recognize the stuff you have installed without bricking TWL mode. (because it doesn't find valid tickets, it deletes everything which is why TWL mode gets bricked).

System Update from DSi System Settings probably bricks TWL mode for similar reasons. There might have been an equilivent to DevMenu on dev DSi consoles. But good luck hunting one of those suckers down. DSi NAND encryption was pretty much figured out. So if someone did get one, it would be nice to see what dev apps were available for a dev version of the DSi. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that DSi hacking has gone very far. But something like modifying the firmware to load up a rom and inject it to launch via the Game Card Launcher. Sky3DS does it.
I mean, don't we have full access to everything?
Wrong. Sky3DS emulates a real game cartridge. That is why it has yet to be patched.

Not that DSi hacking has gone very far. But something like modifying the firmware to load up a rom and inject it to launch via the Game Card Launcher. Sky3DS does it.
I mean, don't we have full access to everything?
Also, Full System Access =/= We Automatically Get All The Keys and Tools We Need For Decryption and Re-encryption.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can I use those on my O3DS? I've always wondered but I never got to asking it
Yes, but you will need to install a patch to make them work. I can't link to the patch, but googling "using blocked flashcards on 3ds" will present some results.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually....you might in fact be wrong. The underlying hardware is similar enough that it likely wouldn't require a ton of extra overhead for emulation...or if someone has the guts to try and somehow rework that chunk of the firmware (mind you this is theoretical and there's probably some roadblocks in the way preventing this...)
CPU wise, maybe, but there's a lot of other things to emulate there and the DS has some odd hardware that would probably be hard to code in, even on the 3DS. Take a look at some of the development discussion around desmume. I won't say it's impossible, some cleaver coders have done things that I thought impossible before, but I won't be holding my breath, especially while flashcarts are a cheap option.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: mesenkomaha

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
The trick is to copy over files from a DSi NAND dump into TWLN partition. There's a lot of things the 3DS got rid of that DSi NAND used to have. (like tickets and misc other things that are now stored on CTR NAND). There's a few files it needs for it to boot DSi System Settings correctly. I didn't narrow down which files it needs exactly. I just copied over all the missing files that TWLN lacked.

EDIT: Also I did try to boot DSi Home Menu (Goes by "Launcher"). But likely won't work without modification because of hardware/software differences in how the 3DS setups up TWL mode compared to a real DSi, so no DSi Home Menu for now. :(

There's a DSi launcher SRL of some kind stored in TWL_FIRM since 3DBrew mentions that it's mapped to memory by TWL's process9. Good luck hunting that down and swapping it out. :P
So, installing a DSi NAND to TWL_FIRM allow us to run DSi System Settings?. What if we install an old DSi NAND Firmware to run old DSi Flashcarts on N3DS? (When DSi Homemenu is able to be launched)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: leo @'d me in a thread about his last dream, stating he was passionately making out with a guy...